2019-20 Rule Changes

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Adopted Notices of Motion Following OHL Annual Meeting – Ontario Hockey League

After the past few seasons in the league it really makes sense what the league is trying to do. Always thought coaches challenges should have some sort of penalization to the challenge ruling.

This will make coaches have to account in each game if they choose to go challenge a play now which I don't mind personally. As a fan I think that this will improve game flow and make coaches more accountable on when in a game they choose to challenge a play.

I'm not against the challenge rule by any means but this will make coaches have to strategize when they use that ability or not.

Anyone else think this new ruling makes more sense?

Reactions: rangersblues

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
I like these changes. Hopefully having tablets available at the penalty box will speed up play instead of having to wait for telephone consultation. Also, the goaltender interference challenge is good. I don't think it will be abused since if coach is wrong, they give up a time out.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
The criteria isn't all that much different from the "stick measurement" challenge. As I recall, any team could call for a stick measurement, to determine if the stick being challenged was within the allowable parameters...particularly the blade curvature. If found that the stick was illegal, it was comfiscated, and the player using it was assesses an illegal equipment penalty. However, if the stick being measured was deemed to be legal, the team calling for the measurement was assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. Haven't seen that one called more recently, but it was a tactical gamble several seasons ago.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The criteria isn't all that much different from the "stick measurement" challenge. As I recall, any team could call for a stick measurement, to determine if the stick being challenged was within the allowable parameters...particularly the blade curvature. If found that the stick was illegal, it was comfiscated, and the player using it was assesses an illegal equipment penalty. However, if the stick being measured was deemed to be legal, the team calling for the measurement was assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. Haven't seen that one called more recently, but it was a tactical gamble several seasons ago.

The NHL no longer restricts the curvature of sticks. Usually, the OHL adopts most rules that the NHL brings in.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The NHL no longer restricts the curvature of sticks. Usually, the OHL adopts most rules that the NHL brings in.

I wouldn't say adopts rules but they certainly bring a variation of the NHL rules to the CHL in general.

As such the icing rules between the NHL and CHL are different as in the NHL there is touch icing to where the CHL is no touch icing. Which is a major difference between the two leagues

Reactions: EvenSteven

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I believe the OHL’s always been no touch but the NHL has been now for awhile too

The CHL in general has had no touch icing in place for decades now. It was brought in to protect players from injuries racing for the puck in offensive/defensive zones as well as goaltenders who would go wandering from the crease who could get hit.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The CHL in general has had no touch icing in place for decades now. It was brought in to protect players from injuries racing for the puck in offensive/defensive zones as well as goaltenders who would go wandering from the crease who could get hit.

Touch icing finished in WHL

You had me thinking, wow time flies. It seems OHL adopted no touch icing some time after the WHL - 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad