2019-20 rule changes: OT to 7 minutes

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Annual ECHL Board of Governors Meeting concludes

The most notable change is that OT is going to be 7:00 instead of 5:00. I'm all in favor of anything that lessens the shootout. I'd be in favor of extending it to 10, which has a *long* precedent in hockey (regular season OT was 10:00 in the NHL before it was eliminated in WWII, and remained 10:00 in the minor leagues until the mid-1980s). Given the ECHL and AHL can be incubators for NHL rules, this appears to be a test case.

Veterans on AHL/ECHL two-way deals must play 5 games in the AHL to be eligible for the ECHL playoffs, but that requirement was eliminated for all other players.

Also, there will be a "Players Month" where players will wear nicknames on their sweaters for selected home games in February.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Also, there will be a "Players Month" where players will wear nicknames on their sweaters for selected home games in February.
Clearly a proposal submitted by MeiGray Group to sell more game-worn merch. If I were a professional hockey player, I'd be embarrassed for that entire month ... for more than just my skating skills ...

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I wonder if eliminating the requirement for non-vet players on AHL contracts to play five games in the AHL was proposed by Newfoundland? I believe that rule was put in originally to keep teams from having players on token AHL deals in order to get around the salary cap. Back when the Royals were owned by the Kings it was pretty apparent they allocated a couple of AHL contracts for the Royals to use on ECHL vets to be team captains and an example for the young guys, but those players weren't in the organizations plans for development into an AHL or NHL player. With the Growlers having almost their entire roster on AHL or NHL contracts it would be difficult to ensure everyone got their five games in with the Marlies, especially if someone spent a bunch of time on IR.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I love both 3-on-3 OT and the shootout.

While neither are hockey in any pure sense, they give a chance to see the skillsets of players in a more spectacular fashion.

Moving it to 7 minutes, I get. As was suggested, I think it's an experiment for the NHL.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Clearly a proposal submitted by MeiGray Group to sell more game-worn merch. If I were a professional hockey player, I'd be embarrassed for that entire month ... for more than just my skating skills ...

Why for the whole month when it's just for one home game? And why be embarrassed at all? I think it's a dumb idea, but as a player why would they care?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Why for the whole month when it's just for one home game? And why be embarrassed at all? I think it's a dumb idea, but as a player why would they care?
I guess I'm easily embarrassed & it lasts awhile. And I reckon you're a Herb Brooks fan: "When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back."

Last edited:

Growler

May 16, 2018
I wonder if eliminating the requirement for non-vet players on AHL contracts to play five games in the AHL was proposed by Newfoundland? I believe that rule was put in originally to keep teams from having players on token AHL deals in order to get around the salary cap. Back when the Royals were owned by the Kings it was pretty apparent they allocated a couple of AHL contracts for the Royals to use on ECHL vets to be team captains and an example for the young guys, but those players weren't in the organizations plans for development into an AHL or NHL player. With the Growlers having almost their entire roster on AHL or NHL contracts it would be difficult to ensure everyone got their five games in with the Marlies, especially if someone spent a bunch of time on IR.

I was trying to figure out what the ECHL was going for too. The only player who would not qualify for this Veteran rule would have been O'Brien who played in 3 AHL games. All the other AHL/NHL guys did not meet the veteran standard last year otherwise.

It strikes me that the ECHL is trying to be more developmentally-focused by -- as you point out -- not allowing a team to park a Vet on the ECHL roster on an AHL deal.

I put this rule in a category to make the ECHL a little younger, and maybe we will see more AHL non-veterans in the ECHL this year. The Growlers leaders like Melindy and Pardy were on ECHL deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad