2019/20 Roster Thread XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"JAG" is an upgrade over Hogg, so yes he should absolutely play and there's no reason to defend not playing him.
Being the 6/7 D is way too important of a role to just let an unproven guy like Friedman play.

Unless Hagg is the 6/7 D, in which case literally nothing he does wrong matters, since he's just the 6/7 D.

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tenor.gif

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Keith Jones quote that hopefully for 30 seconds produces happiness and not debate.
A young piece that grew in 2019-20 was the 23-year-old Myers. The 6-foot-5 rookie played 50 games during the regular season and had a productive playoff run with three goals, 30 shots and strong play in the defensive end.
"I think he's going to be a star," Jones said. "He's showing us glimpses, which is remarkable when you look at the way he arrived in the NHL; he's going to be a top player. I like his attitude and I know he's got a lot of room to grow. I think the potential is probably what excites me more than what we've seen so far."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like Myers a lot, but I don't think he'll ever be a legit star player. To be a star you have to be a top guy offensively and he just isn't that kind of player.

His defense is good but his puck moving and offensive skill will hold him back from ever being called a #1 or someone well known around the league.

But who cares? An undrafted player becoming a top 4 D is already a massive win for us.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Keith Jones is whatever. But if you had asked me 2-3 years ago, I thought Myers' offensive upside was higher than what I think today. His Rouyn-Noranda years were unbelievably fun. I think the combo of playing in a fast paced system in juniors, with his outlier physical tools and aggressiveness masked how much his offensive IQ and playmaking lagged behind the rest of his game. It's not poor and he has skill; it's just ~average.

I know he has more dynamic offense that he flashed in the AHL as well, but I don't know if it will ever present beyond flashes. Most of his offense comes from trailing rushes, shooting (he needs to work on both accuracy and shot distance), and skating. I expect some more heel-to-heel offensive zone wheeling, maybe the stop/start Ghost move he does at the blue line, better breakouts are paramount. But you can't be much more than average offensively without plus passing, deception, poise. Those aren't descriptors for Phil. Myers has been my boi for a long time, and he's a gem, but it's the classic: just appreciate what he actually is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like Myers a lot, but I don't think he'll ever be a legit star player. To be a star you have to be a top guy offensively and he just isn't that kind of player.

His defense is good but his puck moving and offensive skill will hold him back from ever being called a #1 or someone well known around the league.

But who cares? An undrafted player becoming a top 4 D is already a massive win for us.

Biased much toward offense?

It's like people who put huge stock in PP scoring, but dismiss PK excellence - but the PK is the mirror image of PP, if you're great at shutting down a PP, you're as valuable as an above average PP scorer (remember, even mediocre guys on PP1 can end up with 15-20 points, so to be a top guy you have to generate points well above league average).

A shut down defenseman who can play 21-22 ES minutes plus 2-3 PK minutes is invaluable.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Keith Jones is whatever. But if you had asked me 2-3 years ago, I thought Myers' offensive upside was higher than what I think today. His Rouyn-Noranda years were unbelievably fun. I think the combo of playing in a fast paced system in juniors, with his outlier physical tools and aggressiveness masked how much his offensive IQ and playmaking lagged behind the rest of his game. It's not poor and he has skill; it's just ~average.

I know he has more dynamic offense that he flashed in the AHL as well, but I don't know if it will ever present beyond flashes. Most of his offense comes from trailing rushes, shooting (he needs to work on both accuracy and shot distance), and skating. I expect some more heel-to-heel offensive zone wheeling, maybe the stop/start Ghost move he does at the blue line, better breakouts are paramount. But you can't be much more than average offensively without plus passing, deception, poise. Those aren't descriptors for Phil. Myers has been my boi for a long time, and he's a gem, but it's the classic: just appreciate what he actually is.
So many fans have been arguing about who’s the best, what number they are and where they stand against other defenseman in the league that they are losing sight that this is without question the best group of home grown defensemen the franchise has ever built. Ever. Just appreciate it while it lasts.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

As always, great post

I always gathered that Myers was going to be more Sanhero, less Provorov. But his NHL career thus far surprised me in that his most effective skillset lies on our defensive blue line. His skating and reach allows him to just smother guys on the rush.

He is sneaky great defensively. Obviously, he is more than capable of jumping in offensively, and we can expect him to get even better on that front, but I'd be lying if I told you I expected his defensive game from the outset.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Eie1lN4WoAAlMAH

Top Norris votes:
2nd highest scoring defensemen
1st highest scoring defensemen
3rd highest scoring defensmen
6th highest scoring defensemen
26th highest scoring defensmen
10th highest scoring defensemen
20th highest scoring defensmen

Looks like most of the guys who are considered to be top D by the public are pretty high scorers. Even 26th and 20th are sitting at over 0.5 points per game.
Myers came in at 0.32 with a decent dose of luck. 4th out of 171 defensemen with 750+ minutes in on-ice shooting %, at 12.05%.

Not that Norris voting means anything, since it's reputation based and voted on by mostly idiots, but since reputation is what I'm talking about here...

Also, anyone who reads my post can easily see I said "his puck moving and offensive skill will hold him back from ever being called a #1 or someone well known around the league". Meaning I'm talking about his perception to outsiders, not his value. Fact is, scoring gets attention and you can't be called a "star" without attention.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think “Star” for Myers is a stretch, but good 2nd pair defenseman, yes. He’s all about insanely gifted gross motor skills & athleticism. But I don’t think his hands & processing abilities are quite there.

Reactions: tucson83

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From a Flyers "fan" on the main boards:

"So why do you whine that trading "three 1sts for Nylander" is a bad idea? It's a great idea"

Dude, why must you subject us to the musings of those smooth-brains? Theres a reason we dont go there much lol

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Gotta share the wealth.

Gives you all a break from the daily Hagg/Ghost talk
I don’t know I’ve seen 5 Nylander trade threads in 3 days it’s pathetic.
It would be ok if we could have a reasonable discussion about the subject in the thread but they don’t reason with nothing and don’t care what anyone says they are stuck on trading Nylander for cap space to sign Pietrangelo.
The funny thing is that’s still not going to be enough.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think “Star” for Myers is a stretch, but good 2nd pair defenseman, yes. He’s all about insanely gifted gross motor skills & athleticism. But I don’t think his hands & processing abilities are quite there.

His hands have improved leaps and bounds this year. He was the primary puck carrier on that pairing with Sanheim in the playoffs. But that is holding him back from becoming elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad