2019/20 Roster Thread XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Something to think about:

4. Fletcher says the lack of liquidity in the system under a flattened salary cap for potentially three years could be tough for free agents but might be good news for fans who like trades.
“It’s going to force teams to be more creative,” Fletcher says.
“You might see more hockey trades, the dollar-for-dollar trades where teams need to improve or need to upgrade in certain areas. If you don’t have the ability to go into the UFA market, you have to be creative and find solutions with other teams. So, it’s going to be very interesting.”

Quick Shifts: Why a Maple Leafs run at Pietrangelo isn't so crazy - Sportsnet.ca

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
@Striiker

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why not just let the soon to be 25 year old Friedman play and see what he can do thru the season?

Because he's the soon to be 25 year old, me wonder if they really see him as a starter or at best a #7 depth guy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Because he's the soon to be 25 year old, me wonder if they really see him as a starter or at best a #7 depth guy.
Well given that as of now, we have 7 Dmen, that's not an issue.

Maybe you should give him more games to prove himself. After all, we did it with trash like Stewy.

And maybe, just maybe, you might get a "NAK surprise" from him.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The swap would have to be trade Ghost for pick and sign free agent d-man. And there are some fa's that scare me if they came to Philly. see Ceci.
My thought was trade Ghost for a guy like DeHaan I.e. similar cap hit but more physical and shutdown D.

I'm not saying that's a match but looking at that type of trade. That while trading Hagg.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with Friedman is whether he's really NHL caliber.
He has a solid 3rd season with the Phantoms, but guess who had similar metrics? Wotherspoon.
Wotherspoon was #57 pick, has 30 games NHL experience. He's a couple years older than Friedman but a lot bigger.

Friedman played 6 NHL games, xGF 34.98% - obviously too small a sample to draw conclusions, but the eyeballs say he skates well but did little otherwise to impress.

They may see them both more as organizational depth than potential starters.
It's up to Friedman to change that script in TC.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Let’s see who Friedman played with in his 80 minutes this season......73 minutes with really NHL caliber Hagg. Boy, doesn’t that check out.

In Vigneault’s system that puts defensemen under immense forecheck pressure, Friedman’s ability to skate pucks out of danger and make a simple pass would go a long way, I reckon. He’s tenacious defensively and is not a zero offensively. Maybe the team can do the thing where they make a real evaluation and not use a hand-me-down one when it comes to which depth players to play.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Let’s see who Friedman played with in his 80 minutes this season......73 minutes with really NHL caliber Hagg. Boy, doesn’t that check out.

In Vigneault’s system that puts defensemen under immense forecheck pressure, Friedman’s ability to skate pucks out of danger and make a simple pass would go a long way, I reckon. He’s tenacious defensively and is not a zero offensively. Maybe the team can do the thing where they make a real evaluation and not use a hand-me-down one when it comes to which depth players to play.
How many B O D I E S does he B A N G

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Nah they'll let him go to waste. Flyers hockey!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The problem is the NHL & some of the fans in turn still don’t see the bottom of their roster as plug & play roles. Obviously they also still are very much into rigid belief into what players should & shouldn’t be in those spots based off play style regardless of effectiveness which over complicates the issue.

We’re still giving spots to guys in these roles because they have experience, try hard, or are good guys despite not being effective even in a minimal role.

In regards to the Flyers they’ve drafted so much over the years & have a lot of minor league prospect depth that most teams would love to have but we still have people deathly scared to give these guys a shot. You have enough numbers there that something should stick. The sad part is possibly management agrees given the Stewart, Thompson, Grant, etc. debacles.

Reactions: Striiker and Magua

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They probably don't want to give Friedman a shot because they think he's just another Ghost.

Now obviously they're nothing alike, outside of their height, but we're talking about a staff that has admitted to not doing research and obviously has absolutely zero eye for player evaluation.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They probably don't want to give Friedman a shot b/c he's meh, he might be a decent 3rd pair guy who's primarily defense first, but you'd have to pair him with the right LHD. He's done nothing to suggest he's more than a JAG.

The forwards all got shots last season, remember, 6 rookie forwards played more minutes than Stewart and Andreoff, so much for relying on veterans. Unless you think Raffl and Pitlick should have been benched for Twarynski and Kase?

The young forwards will get another chance to win jobs this winter, but if your 4th line is Raffl - Laughton (26) - Sandin (24), are they being blocked or is the team that deep? There's basically one job open, 3C, and that will probably come down to Patrick v Frost.

On defense, if they don't re-sign Braun, they're not trading Ghost unless they get a veteran D-man from somewhere, AV isn't going into the season with Hagg - Friedman and hoping Zamula or Hogberg are suddenly ready to start if needed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They probably don't want to give Friedman a shot b/c he's meh, he might be a decent 3rd pair guy who's primarily defense first, but you'd have to pair him with the right LHD. He's done nothing to suggest he's more than a JAG.

The forwards all got shots last season, remember, 6 rookie forwards played more minutes than Stewart and Andreoff, so much for relying on veterans. Unless you think Raffl and Pitlick should have been benched for Twarynski and Kase?

The young forwards will get another chance to win jobs this winter, but if your 4th line is Raffl - Laughton (26) - Sandin (24), are they being blocked or is the team that deep? There's basically one job open, 3C, and that will probably come down to Patrick v Frost.

On defense, if they don't re-sign Braun, they're not trading Ghost unless they get a veteran D-man from somewhere, AV isn't going into the season with Hagg - Friedman and hoping Zamula or Hogberg are suddenly ready to start if needed.

"JAG" is an upgrade over Hogg, so yes he should absolutely play and there's no reason to defend not playing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->