2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t think the Flyers will throw Patrick straight into playoff hockey after not playing for over a year. Let him reset in the fall or whenever the 20/21 season ramps up

It won’t be playoff hockey right away for the top 4 teams.

and the AGM is already on record saying Patrick playing is an option.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I understand that in this game there are useless bums who would do anything to make a name for themselves. However the team/players need to let opponents know that if they cheap shot NP, that their best player is going to suffer a season/career ending injury as well as the clown who hit NP. If it was a legitimate hit, that’s another thing.
The worst thing that I ever saw in a Flyers game was seeing Kasparitis laughing on the bench after cheap shooting Lindros. The next shift, a Penguin should have died on the ice. If a team knows that you’re not going to tolerate that stuff, the game changes. IMO, Steven’s hit on Lindros should have been the end of Brodeur’s career. With teams that utilize head hunters, the only thing that they’ll understand is an eye for an eye.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I understand that in this game there are useless bums who would do anything to make a name for themselves. However the team/players need to let opponents know that if they cheap shot NP, that their best player is going to suffer a season/career ending injury as well as the clown who hit NP. If it was a legitimate hit, that’s another thing.
The worst thing that I ever saw in a Flyers game was seeing Kasparitis laughing on the bench after cheap shooting Lindros. The next shift, a Penguin should have died on the ice. If a team knows that you’re not going to tolerate that stuff, the game changes. IMO, Steven’s hit on Lindros should have been the end of Brodeur’s career. With teams that utilize head hunters, the only thing that they’ll understand is an eye for an eye.
Stevens was a piece of trash, 85%-90% of his hits were illegal that’s How he made his living, I like your enthusiasm though

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Also I think Kronwall gets the Stevens treatment these days his highlight reel is mostly made up of illegal checks, that he leaves his feet on almost everyone but for some reason he’s branded as a “heavy hitter” and barely gets shit for it

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Also I think Kronwall gets the Stevens treatment these days his highlight reel is mostly made up of illegal checks, that he leaves his feet on almost everyone but for some reason he’s branded as a “heavy hitter” and barely gets shit for it
Agreed. Also has to do with the team he plays for.

Reactions: Domino666

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It's really a shame he was nose blind to the Haksmell, but I am not sure he makes the moves Fletcher did like bringing Hart up or acquiring Niskanen/Braun/Hayes, either.

Just a reminder, that Hayes deal still sucks. It's great that he scored some short-handed goals and injected some energy to the team, but even in year 1 his 5v5 stats are mediocre. It's not likely to get better.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I could see him going for Hayes, but not the other two.
Hextall probably would've tried to sign Hayes in the summer. But I can't see him trading for him which probably means he would've signed somewhere else.
I also can't see Hextall trading Gudas for Niskanen, let alone retain salary. That's definitely not a Hextall move.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hextall probably would've tried to sign Hayes in the summer. But I can't see him trading for him which probably means he would've signed somewhere else.
I also can't see Hextall trading Gudas for Niskanen, let alone retain salary. That's definitely not a Hextall move.

Yeah, I put the Niskanen move as being the least likely.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Just a reminder, that Hayes deal still sucks. It's great that he scored some short-handed goals and injected some energy to the team, but even in year 1 his 5v5 stats are mediocre. It's not likely to get better.
Abosultely it sucks long term. My point was that I don't see Hexy going for it there... though he did try to get Stastny, so I suppose it's possible.

Best case scenario is Hayes on the wing long term with Couts/NP/Frost up the middle, so I was never in favour of getting him. Admittedly, I like what he does, but not at that price and term. The Flyers had to do something knowing about NP, though, and it still could lead to a Cup in 2020 which never would be possible without Hayes. So, for 2020, I'm for it. Beyond 2020, I can't get far enough away from it.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Abosultely it sucks long term. My point was that I don't see Hexy going for it there... though he did try to get Stastny, so I suppose it's possible.

Best case scenario is Hayes on the wing long term with Couts/NP/Frost up the middle, so I was never in favour of getting him. Admittedly, I like what he does, but not at that price and term. The Flyers had to do something knowing about NP, though, and it still could lead to a Cup in 2020 which never would be possible without Hayes. So, for 2020, I'm for it. Beyond 2020, I can't get far enough away from it.

I think it would be a total boss move by Chuck to use his (hypothetical?) Covid-19 amnesty buyout on Hayes. It would take balls and admittedly sends a bad message. In the long run it makes sense if Chuck expects NP back. I'm not sure if Hayes would even be eligible because of his NMC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hayes 5on5 numbers have improved as the season has gone on, so I do expect them to be better in other years. Giroux’s 5on5 numbers are also bizarrely poor this season.

Reactions: Domino666

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it would be a total boss move by Chuck to use his (hypothetical?) Covid-19 amnesty buyout on Hayes. It would take balls and admittedly sends a bad message. In the long run it makes sense if Chuck expects NP back. I'm not sure if Hayes would even be eligible because of his NMC.

That would be utterly insane. :laugh:

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He retained salary on Grossmann.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I disagree. Hayes is one of the guys that I think we’d be out of a 16 team playoff without. We locked up a defensively responsible second line center in his prime at around market rate going forward. It’ll be interesting to see what Granlund and strome get this offseason. One coming into UFA on a down year and the other on a career year.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Reminder:
The Flyers regularly tilted the ice in their favor when Travis Konecny was on-ice during the 19-20 regular season.

E7F9EF98-3E50-4A46-94B7-4A0B143C56E9.jpeg

D377FB4A-6DAD-470F-8877-B11EBB4CA65A.jpeg

He became more and more of a line-driver as the season went on too. There’s a very real possibility that he’s only scratched the surface of what he’ll become at the NHL level. I am very excite about what the future holds for this player.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Reminder:
The Flyers regularly tilted the ice in their favor when Travis Konecny was on-ice during the 19-20 regular season.

View attachment 347390

View attachment 347391

He became more and more of a line-driver as the season went on too. There’s a very real possibility that he’s only scratched the surface of what he’ll become at the NHL level. I am very excite about what the future holds for this player.

Yeh, the last two seasons he was already a very high end 5v5 scorer (and not saying that lightly... top 10 in the NHL)... and he has got better at other aspects of hockey as well in the mean-time.

Reactions: TB87

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK was overrated the last two years, he was a product of Couts, his play away from Couts was subpar, and certainly not top six level.
2017-2019:
w/ Couts: CF 55.68%, xGF 54.73%
w/o Couts: CF 45.35%, xGF 44.01%
w/o both: CF 47.75%, xGF 47.70%
2019-2020:
w/ Couts: CF 58.31%, xGF 56.94%
w/o Couts: CF 52.32%, xGF 52.80%
w/o both: CF 47.67%, xGF 47.09%
This season he's taken that step up where he drives lines and isn't the beneficiary of playing with top forwards.
That's the difference between a role player and a star.

Lindblom on the other hand, is one of the few players with a "zero" Couts effect, I think because his game is built around doing the dirty work, so he makes other linemates better, but doesn't depend on his linemates to get him the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad