2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Attention its all :sarcasm:

you can all say whatever you want. When Farabee, Bunny, NAK, The Pimp and Frost give us a cup in 10 years AV and Fletcher make the perfect job, cause they all learned their game from Gordo in the AHL. And we all was wrong cause we want them to play in the NHL.

It´s like Konecny being benched, its like Ghost only got called up cause of injury. All this coaches and the management do is all the time the right thing!

NAK being away from this team for years instead playing VDV or Vecchioni and all the useless vets was also the right way! Cause NAK needed to learn that he is worth nothing and need to accept his role so he now can shine in a 4th line role.

Lets praise Fletcher and Hextall and Hakstok and Gordo and Scott for all the well informed moves they do!

Vecchione played two games. :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Ofc not all guys score at their average level every year... but gives an indication of the amount of 5v5 scoring talent the Flyers have...

without Lindblom (1.70) and Patrick (1.56)...

Just think what Giroux would be at without the insane bad luck with assists this year. :(

In the previous two years he was scoring 2.62 p/60 at 5v5.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Can't speak for the advanced stats but our third and fourth lines have looked pretty good lately. It seems odd to bring in two guys for this role. One for depth, sure but two?

I like Grant, not mad on Thompson but who knows?

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With Thompson, probably AV worried that Bunnaman would struggle down the stretch and the playoffs as the level of play went up another notch.

With Grant, AV wanting the option of putting a bigger, more physical group out there to match up against certain teams like the Islanders.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Attention its all :sarcasm:

you can all say whatever you want. When Farabee, Bunny, NAK, The Pimp and Frost give us a cup in 10 years AV and Fletcher make the perfect job, cause they all learned their game from Gordo in the AHL. And we all was wrong cause we want them to play in the NHL.

It´s like Konecny being benched, its like Ghost only got called up cause of injury. All this coaches and the management do is all the time the right thing!

NAK being away from this team for years instead playing VDV or Vecchioni and all the useless vets was also the right way! Cause NAK needed to learn that he is worth nothing and need to accept his role so he now can shine in a 4th line role.

Lets praise Fletcher and Hextall and Hakstok and Gordo and Scott for all the well informed moves they do!
The criticism of AV when he was hired was his handling of younger players. You can see why now. Game 63 while the move is wrong I will live with Farabee being sent down. Kick in pants, time to recharge, confidence builder call it what you want.
Game 1 of playoffs if Thompson is in and Farabee, there is just not a good reason. We complain every hour on this site on how Hagg is this and that. And a 4c who has no offense is going to solve that? Can't wait for the 4 minute shift when 4th line, Braun and Hagg are stuck on the ice in the playoffs. Even if AV moved Grant up, Farabee on 4th line, Nate to bench as wake up call I would deal with it. But the solution to a tired player is his first full NHL season is to give him more playing time in the AHL? I don't get it.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
The criticism of AV when he was hired was his handling of younger players. You can see why now. Game 63 while the move is wrong I will live with Farabee being sent down. Kick in pants, time to recharge, confidence builder call it what you want.
Game 1 of playoffs if Thompson is in and Farabee, there is just not a good reason. We complain every hour on this site on how Hagg is this and that. And a 4c who has no offense is going to solve that? Can't wait for the 4 minute shift when 4th line, Braun and Hagg are stuck on the ice in the playoffs. Even if AV moved Grant up, Farabee on 4th line, Nate to bench as wake up call I would deal with it. But the solution to a tired player is his first full NHL season is to give him more playing time in the AHL? I don't get it.

don’t the Phantoms play 3 games in the next 11 days and the Flyers play 6? They can probably accomplish both getting him rest while getting him more top line minutes when he does play.

I have been Farabee’s biggest backers from day one. I thought he would make the jump before Frost. I hope he can carry his play into the playoffs but I don’t have a problem with the team hedging their bet by adding veteran depth on the cheap.

my biggest concern when AV was hired was his rep for loving vet players to a fault but I haven’t seen it this season.
I think he has done a great job managing Hart. Pulling him in games where he gives up 3 quick goals so he doesn’t get shelled. Playing Elliott in tough road match ups early in the season. not over using him early.
almost every prospect had a shot at taking a job. Farabee and NAK took them. He played JVR and Voracek on the 3rd and 4th lines while Farabee Frost Laughton got moved up.
Don’t like how the PP has been run. Would like to see them improve on the road. Otherwise, it has been a good run especially considering the loss of Lindblom and Patrick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What HC plays undersized 20 year olds in the playoffs?

2018-19 rookies:
Maker 21 (#5)
Thomas 19 - 6'0 188
Svechnikov 19 - 6'2 195 (#2)
Heiskanen 19 - 6'1 190 (#3)
most of the rookies were 23 or older

2017-18 rookies:
Tuch (21), Connor (22), DeBrusk (21), Vrana (22), Sergachev (19) (#9), Gurode (26), Stephenson (23), MacAvoy (21), Dubois (19) but 6'3 218,

TK was 21, in his second season, in the 2017-18 playoffs, 1 assist in 6 games.

AV/Fletcher would be negligent if they went into the playoffs, having to play 2 of Farabee, Frost and Bunnaman.
Now they can play the kids if they show they can handle playoff pressure and physicality, but they don't HAVE to play them.

Reactions: Johnk0728

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
Can't speak for the advanced stats but our third and fourth lines have looked pretty good lately. It seems odd to bring in two guys for this role. One for depth, sure but two?

I like Grant, not mad on Thompson but who knows?
Grant is a upgrade over Bunn, hopefully that'll be his role after a few games. Grant is better at faceoffs and can play PK unlike Bunn. Thompson will hopefully be the 13th forward eventually.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
AV has been fine with young players on the Flyers and was quoted to actually want Frost on the Flyers and not in the AHL if I remember correctly. He couldn't help it that the Ranger prospects were terrible when he was there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's still making plenty of mistakes, including misjudging/misusing players.

The fact that Hagg has played as much as he has is proof of that. Ghosts usage is another example. Healthy scratching Frost for no reason is a third. The PP is yet another. Provorov and Niskanen being overused too.

We'll see if Grant and Thompson join that list of continued problems. Hopefully not.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
He's still making plenty of mistakes, including misjudging/misusing players.

The fact that Hagg has played as much as he has is proof of that. Ghosts usage is another example. Healthy scratching Frost for no reason is a third. The PP is yet another. Provorov and Niskanen being overused too.

We'll see if Grant and Thompson join that list of continued problems. Hopefully not.
Man what a awful coach, it's amazing we even have a winning record.;)

Or maybe, just maybe the Man who's around these players almost everyday has more information about these players physically and mentally than we do.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
On Laughton could we be seeing a late bloom. You know like the other 3C did? I know he's on a shooting heater but could it also be a version of a breakout combined with that heater?

Reactions: flyersnorth

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man what a awful coach, it's amazing we even have a winning record.;)

Or maybe, just maybe the Man who's around these players almost everyday has more information about these players physically and mentally than we do.

With that defense it would be possible to say anything anyone does is a mistake. :laugh:

It's just not good enough.

Person101

Jul 12, 2019
With that defense it would be possible to say anything anyone does is a mistake. :laugh:

It's just not good enough.
My point is not everything is as cut and dry as we think. Some are obvious, players usage in the PP and Signing Chris Stewart. Some aren't, scratching Frost for a game and getting Hayes (NP was having health issues we didn't know about, they did).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
caps cup winners featured 8 regulars 25 or younger
the blues winners had 10 regulars 25 or younger
shirely some of them younglings weren't beefy enough for you?

Big difference between 20 and 24, and big difference between 170-180 lbs and 190-210 lbs (most young players who play a significant role are bigger, many are high draft picks).

Flyers are playing NAK, TK, Provorov, Sanheim and Myers, all under 25.
Hagg and Laughton turned 25 this season.
Patrick and Lindblom are out.

I expect Frost and Farabee to be fixtures in the top 9 next year.
But Brink and York may stay in college another year, with the depth on this team, no rush.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
caps cup winners featured 8 regulars 25 or younger
the blues winners had 10 regulars 25 or younger
shirely some of them younglings weren't beefy enough for you?
I guess we should expect the Canucks to scratch 20 year old Dman Quinn Hughes

5'10 170 lbs.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
In the current NHL, I wonder if fatigue from the long season isn't the bigger issue for these younger players.

Giving the kids a bit of a breather ahead of the final regular season push, and the playoffs, could pay dividends.

Farabee, for example, played a total of 44 games last season between college and the WJC. He's already at 53 pro games this year. I really want to see him get some NHL playoff action this year and, ideally, he'll come to that rested and ready to give his best.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I really don't think Laughton belongs on the third line. I think he can fill in there, depending on who he's with and how he's playing at the time, but I think he belongs on the 4th line in the long term. I know he's scored a lot this year, but his shooting % is super high... 19.64% at 5v5. His goals/60 at 5v5 are more than double they've ever been before (1.31 vs a previous high of 0.63).

I really like NAK, but I think that's a similar case. He can fill in, but when he was in the middle six I just kept thinking that he'd be more effective on the 4th line and I think he's actually produced more there than he did when he was higher in the lineup. I want him flying around, creating chaos, and scoring when the opportunity arises. I think when you're in the top 9 scoring is more of a focus/expectation and I don't know if that would work with him.

Raffl and Pitlick, yet again, similar cases. They can fill in but I don't think that's where they should be. They're more of the "don't hurt you" type than the type that adds an element of scoring to a line.

We're on the same page with Bunnaman.

Like I said previously (not sure which thread), I think that the reason we've done so well with five 4th liners is because, while it obviously isn't ideal, four of them have performed like extremely high end 4th liners. Right on the cusp of being 3rd liners, but I personally wouldn't say they actually are. Even though I'd prefer to not have guys like Laughton or Pitlick on the 3rd line, it gets balanced out because I think our 4th line has been about as great as a 4th line could realistically be and is better than the opponents 4th line pretty much every night.

And don't get me wrong, I really like all of these players and I don't have a complaint about any of them this year.

Utter nonsense. Give your head a shake and start looking at things objectively.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad