Roster Moves: 2019/20 Roster Thread XXVI [Dec. 29: Andreoff cleared waivers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun has been solidly defensively, anyone thinks he's better than Provorov or Niskanen is crazy, anyone who thinks he's trash is foolish.

He is exactly as advertised, a top flight defensive defenseman who does a lot of subtle things to suppress shots but is pretty much an offensive cipher, especially his weak ass shot, which is worse than Voracek.

Which is why he's a good partner to mentor Sanheim, whose biggest issue is sloppy turnovers and getting himself out of position. There's no question about Sanheim's offensive prowness, he just has to clean up his defensive play. Sanheim can handle the puck and Braun can tell him on ice where to go.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Braun has been solidly defensively, anyone thinks he's better than Provorov or Niskanen is crazy, anyone who thinks he's trash is foolish.

He is exactly as advertised, a top flight defensive defenseman who does a lot of subtle things to suppress shots but is pretty much an offensive cipher, especially his weak ass shot, which is worse than Voracek.

Which is why he's a good partner to mentor Sanheim, whose biggest issue is sloppy turnovers and getting himself out of position. There's no question about Sanheim's offensive prowness, he just has to clean up his defensive play. Sanheim can handle the puck and Braun can tell him on ice where to go.

What's weird about his shot is that it's largely just...sad.

Except for the 3-5 times he zipped some wrister in hard, surprised the goalie, and generated a rebound or otherwise handcuffed him. The variance in shot quality is kind of weird. Guys like Carle or Hagg don't sneak random strong/good shots in. Their output was/is consistent. Braun surprised on occasion. I don't know what is different about those rare occasions, but he should try doing it more often.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Except for the 3-5 times he zipped some wrister in hard, surprised the goalie, and generated a rebound or otherwise handcuffed him. The variance in shot quality is kind of weird. Guys like Carle or Hagg don't sneak random strong/good shots in. Their output was/is consistent. Braun surprised on occasion. I don't know what is different about those rare occasions, but he should try doing it more often.

But isn't that exactly what's wrong with Voracek as well?
He will fire a perfect wrist shot into the upper corner of the net, then the next five will be softies or shot into the goalie's belly.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn't want to watch hockey if it became figure skating, you can't take incidental contact out without basically removing all hitting.

It's the egregious crap that needs a hard crackdown, cross checking to the back of the net, slamming guys head first into the boards, throwing elbows at heads, etc.
None of this crap has anything to do with playing physical, it's players deliberately trying to injure other players.
You mean like charging a player 2 seconds after the puck leaves his stick?

Did we watch the same hit?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I wouldn't want to watch hockey if it became figure skating, you can't take incidental contact out without basically removing all hitting.

It's the egregious crap that needs a hard crackdown, cross checking to the back of the net, slamming guys head first into the boards, throwing elbows at heads, etc.
None of this crap has anything to do with playing physical, it's players deliberately trying to injure other players.
I thought the hit on Konecny was intentionally predatory. It wasn't about separating a guy from the puck, but rather getting a shot in on a player that was in a vulnerable position.

You can look at the hit two ways; it's either an intimidation move that you have no problem with, or you can look at it as an unnecessary hit that had little impact on the game other than injuring an opposing player. I think I tend to lean towards the latter, but admit that I may be in the minority there. And I'll admit that I'd be more lenient if this were a playoff situation.

Reactions: PK16 and Rebels57

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
The NBA has gone to the opposite extreme, where legitimate basketball plays are called flagrant fouls.

But the NBA has to completely squash any possibility of fighting, b/c serious things can happen when big men start swinging with their feet planted on wood, not ice. There is rarely anyone injured in a NHL fight these days, but one can imagine horrible scenarios if a NBA game got out of control, not just players, but fans right on the court.
True.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought the hit on Konecny was intentionally predatory. It wasn't about separating a guy from the puck, but rather getting a shot in on a player that was in a vulnerable position.

You can look at the hit two ways; it's either an intimidation move that you have no problem with, or you can look at it as an unnecessary hit that had little impact on the game other than injuring an opposing player. I think I tend to lean towards the latter, but admit that I may be in the minority there. And I'll admit that I'd be more lenient if this were a playoff situation.

Hes been injuring players for years. The puck was long gone too.

I just want someone to knock out his few remaining teeth. Simmonds would have done it the next time he was on the ice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think the hit meet the definition of "charging," he didn't leave his feet, he didn't take a lot of extra strides, he just failed to pull away after the puck was gone - if you're gonna call that, half the hits that occur during a game would be penalties.

It sucks that TK got hurt, but players have to also keep their head up and see when someone is gunning for them.
One way to discourage these shots is to "accidently" get your stick positioned where it goes between someone's legs when they slam into you.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Braun can't wait to get the puck off of his stick, which stands to reason that he will unexpectedly release a laser. He can't control when it happens. :laugh:

He had a stretch where he made some egregious errors that resulted in goals against, but has otherwise been as expected.

He will always be tied to the overpayment made to acquire him, but he is a solid defender. Not going to impress anyone at the other end of the ice, though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Brauns also being used in the top 4 over a far superior defensemen.

His defense isn't good enough to make up for the trade, cap hit, horrible puck moving, offensive abilities (or lack thereof), and roster disruption.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Hit on Konecny was late and dirty. This is how I saw it.

Respectfully disagree. MB is not the kind of player that can pass up on that hit and expect to stick in the league. I also believe he could've lit Travis up much worse than he did. Flyers and TK are lucky that wasn't a different Sen that had him in the trolley tracks. Hopefully TK recovers fully and quickly.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ranking NHL microcores: Executives, scouts and a coach rate...

19. Philadelphia Flyers

Screen-Shot-2019-12-09-at-3.01.10-PM.png

There’s still room for growth here but this is a trio that is trending the right way. “What (Sean) Couturier shows now is that he’s as good as a lot of centers in the game both offensively and defensively. He’s elite defensively,” said a panelist. “(Ivan) Provorov has taken a big step from a year go. Carter Hart is as good a young goalie as there is.”

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Ranking NHL microcores: Executives, scouts and a coach rate...

19. Philadelphia Flyers

Screen-Shot-2019-12-09-at-3.01.10-PM.png

There’s still room for growth here but this is a trio that is trending the right way. “What (Sean) Couturier shows now is that he’s as good as a lot of centers in the game both offensively and defensively. He’s elite defensively,” said a panelist. “(Ivan) Provorov has taken a big step from a year go. Carter Hart is as good a young goalie as there is.”
That article is trash

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
didnt find out about this until late last night. i got the same feeling in my gut i get when i feel like a failure as a father. but seriously totally sucks because hes one of my favorites but puts a certain few players in an intriguing spot... curious to see what AV does.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
NHL's top 20 UFAs of 2020: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

This year’s trade market looks to be a dud. Not a lot there to get excited about.

Good. The Flyers shouldn’t be in it one way or the other. Maybe if they want to upgrade a bench player, but they are deep at every position and can’t take on salary. At this point, a Patrick return is the equivalent of a splashy acquisition. Barring injury, there’s just no damn room. So, Fletcher and Scott should have no choice but to not make an irrational costly move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad