2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Hasty generalization + psychologizing + accusing people of arguing in bad faith.
Poisoning the well against objective knowledge, destroying the epistemic playing field of those arguing against your view.
Ditto.
Reasonable question, but slight appeal to authority, rather than providing a declarative answer re: inducing skepticism but not rebuilding factual phenomenon, which is considered bad form.
Strawman.
False dilemma. Probably followed up by a false equivalence, is what I imagine your next step is.

Same fallacy + small present sample size (induction issues).
Welcome to Post modernism, brother.

Someone enrolled in Writing & Rhetoric

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't do post-modernism (or any -ism's), I do statistical and economic policy analysis.
And I've learned humility, because I know my best predictions were as much luck as skill.

Everyone is brilliant ex post.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Important insight in early season stats!
Somewhat encouraging but doesn't exactly make me feel any better about those recent games. It's like winning a consolation prize...

Reactions: Appleyard

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So what do we think of Hayes and Braun so far? Pitlick and Niskanen has got to be sa pleasant surprise.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hayes is just OK (although that's partially the coachings fault for misusing him)

Braun is as expected (not in a good way).

Niskanen is playing really well.

Pitlick is... bleh... whatever...

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Hayes is just OK (although that's partially the coachings fault for misusing him)

Braun has looked solid in preseason when paired with Ghost.
At this stage of his career he should no longer have to play on the top pairing.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team will be fine, the first 20 games are the shakeout cruise.

You thought a new coach with new schemes and six new players (Hayes, Twarynski, Bunnaman, Pitlick, Braun, Niskanen) was going to immediately turn a 86 point team into a juggernaut?

I have no problem with AV shuffling lines and pairs until he gets a feel for his team, what players did in a different scheme two years ago doesn't provide a reliable guide for AV - you can look good in a conservative scheme then get exposed in a more up tempo scheme.

This season is the first one where they're going to integrate a large number of young prospects, and I think their arrival will be staggered, first get the team on the same page, then gradually work in young players as the season progresses. The choice of promotions will depend on how prospects perform in LHV, how veterans perform in Philly, and of course, injuries. Get a number of young players NHL time so they become comfortable with NHL speed and can hit the ground running next season - and a few will show themselves ready to contribute in this year's playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Food for thought:

Some coaches manage to win games, some coaches to win seasons.
One thing that got Kapler fired was trying to win every game and killing his bullpen.
Hakstol overworked goalies (like many HCs), wonder if being a college coach created "I have to win every game" mindset due to much shorter seasons.
If you want to win every game, hard to sit the better goalie or avoid playing Couts and G 22 minutes a night.

Toronto rested Leonard, lost the top seed by doing so - how did that work out?

I think AV is a "win the season" coach, that is, make moves based on what will build the best team down the stretch and into the playoffs.
So he experiments to start the season, doesn't like to rush prospects, tries to even out time between lines so as to not overwork his stars.
This may cost a couple points in the first half of the season, but the stars are protected, the prospects marinated and the lines and D-pairs are "road tested."

Points in March are more valuable than points in October if your goal is a deep playoff run - because you want to be rolling the last 20 games or so.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So what do we think of Hayes and Braun so far? Pitlick and Niskanen has got to be sa pleasant surprise.

Niskanen has surpassed my expectations.

Braun is being overused. Should be a #4 at most and ideally getting bottom pair minutes.

Pitlick is what I expected..a fast, tenacious forechecker with little to no puck skills.

Hayes has been ok. Needs to finish better. The lines havent been optimal until last night, so its hard to judge any of the top 6.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Pitlick (and the 4th line in general) hasn't played with an actual NHL centerman yet. I expect their fancy stats to be a little better. His forechecking will be useful and I think he has a decent shot

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

It really is about usage, isn't it?

Hayes and Braun - way too much usage. Niskanen is right where he should be.

I actually like the way Pitlick is playing as a 4th liner. Size, speed and determination. He uses it effectively. Kind of has stone hands, but he can be a part of an effective possession based 4th line.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really is about usage, isn't it?

Hayes and Braun - way too much usage. Niskanen is right where he should be.

I actually like the way Pitlick is playing as a 4th liner. Size, speed and determination. He uses it effectively. Kind of has stone hands, but he can be a part of an effective possession based 4th line.
For Hayes, yeah probably. He definitely shouldn't be used as a 1C or with Giroux, I've long said I want him with Lindblom and Voracek.

For Braun.... ehh... I don't like having defensemen who are known to be bad puck movers and he hasn't done anything to relieve my worries, especially when his skating is sketchy too and his defensive play is nothing special. But yeah, he'd definitely be far more tolerable in a bottom pair role.

Pitlick... I don't know. I guess I rarely really notice him, good or bad. It's not like I actively dislike him and am desperate to get him off the roster... I simply don't have strong feelings about him either way. I just would rather have a young guy there who has some kind of potential, even if they're maybe not as good immediately. At least then we're evaluating someone with the potential to have a future here, which I doubt Pitlick does.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Other than the Calgary game they’ve looked pretty good (I had a game of my own last night so I’m basing the Edmonton game on a mix of reports and SOG). The results will come. Coaching is and will continue to be a huge difference. This team will challenge for everyone division this year

I concur.

If they keep playing like they have over the first five games they will finish as a top 10 team in the NHL this year even without great goaltending.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Pitlick... I don't know. I guess I rarely really notice him, good or bad. It's not like I actively dislike him and am desperate to get him off the roster... I simply don't have strong feelings about him either way. I just would rather have a young guy there who has some kind of potential, even if they're maybe not as good immediately. At least then we're evaluating someone with the potential to have a future here, which I doubt Pitlick does.

I totally get that, and it's not as if I want to keep him long term, either. But he does use his assets to their fullest. When I think of a 4th line, I think of a Vegas style 4th line. Guys who can skate, forecheck, get a few chances here and there...And when their on the defensive, I don't want to see them skating around like a deer in headlights -- the new age ginder types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->