2019-20 Roster Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
More whining this morning about a forward who hasn't been signed to a contract and a defenseman who is slotted to be #7 or #8.
If this is the biggest problem this year, we're in great shape!

2010-11 Flyers garnered 106 points, playing Shelley for 58 games (6:11 a night, 4 ES points), Carcillo 57 games (7:46, 6 ES points), Blair Betts (10:27, 10 ES points).
Nodl was the 8th forward, Power #9, Zherdev #10.
39 year old Sean O'Donnell was the 6th D-man. Bartulis 13 games (13:01) was #7.

2009-10 Flyers (underachieving team that got hot and went to SC finals):
3rd line: Pyorala 36 games (4 ES points, JVR (28), Carcillo (20), Powe (15)
4th line: Asham (24), Laperriere (19), Betts (16)
others: Nodl, Laliberte, Kalinski, Cote and Ross got into 49 games between them with 1 ES point.
Krajicek (who?) played 27 games on defense, 15:27 at ES
Bartulis, 53g, 13:23
Parent, 48g, 12:21
Syvret, 21g, 11:56
Tollefson, 18g, 9:45

3rd pair defensemen and bottom six forwards rarely decide a season. They're generally pretty fungible.

Reactions: MCoster

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Farabee doesn't have a 9 game trial, since he was a college player, he can go back and forth to the AHL.
The ten game rule applies to under 20 CHL players, NHL or junior hockey are the only options.
[Narrator: It does]

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I forgot about the cokehead. I guess that means they won't have to make hard decisions till after their 3rd game.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Expecting hart to do this is asking for a huge dissapointment

Well maybe not 2.00, but pretty close is a possibility. Looking at hopefully having a much more improved and safer D plus Hayes being a Couts light out there. Way better coaching and likely PK.

My point is, with a lot of gloom and doom that I even feel with Patrick and no Frost it may not be the biggest deal. We could have a considerably worse lineup and still make the playoffs if Hart makes any kind of improvement.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I just had a hopeful thought.

There are lots of teams around the league who will need to waive guys to get under the cap by Wednesday, e.g. the Capitals. Maybe Fletcher is waiting to see who is available on waivers, and in the meantime he's just going with 12 forwards plus Stewart as the backup on a PTO.

I was wondering last night if Stewart has been here so long in case some tweener trying to make a name for himself laid out one of our prospects in preseason.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's insane, isn't it?

Over the past few months, anyone who brought up the slightest bit of concern about AV or Fletcher were labeled "negative", "Fletcher haters", "AV haters", and so on. Some were so far biased in their favor that they mistook anyone in the middle as being on the opposite extreme. Even when just bringing up concerns about them repeating past mistakes, the reaction was insane. Even posters with far better reputations than mine, who have proven to be pretty damn knowledgeable many times in the past, were swarmed. And look where we are.

I won't even make guarantees I can't back up, like they did. I'll be extremely generous and list these possible-to-likely inexcusable mistakes as merely having "a non-zero chance of occurring", which alone is still unacceptable:

-Stewart makes the starting 12
-Hagg makes the starting 6
-Myers gets benched
-Morin gets waived
-A healthy Frost is in the AHL
-Laughton is 3C
-Giroux gets moved back to C
-Sanheim plays on the right side (which I was told couldn't happen, and that I should "let my dream of Ghost playing on the right side die", because "AV doesn't play defensemen on their off sides")
-Sanheim is 5th on the defensemen PP depth chart
-Two AHL forwards are gifted spots based strictly on PRESEASON play
-NAK gets passed over by proven inferior players
... and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting, but this is good enough for now. We all get the point.

We're back to where we started. Hoping that our stars and top youth can carry the team, in spite of managements attempts to hold them back and saddle them with dead weight.

The only thing on your list that is 100% surefire happening is Laughton is 3C to start the season. Frost is not healthy and will need time in the AHL to test his twice injured during the preseason groin. Him playing there is to get to speed from the injury without also trying to continue to adjust from Jr to the NHL. But spin it that he's healthy if he's playing there as much as you like.

NAK would have been claimed if he was that much better than anyone left here.

Rubtsov and Bunnaman are in a competition for a spot due to Frost and Patrick being hurt. That isn't a gifted to them spot. It's a spot based on need due to injury, if either of the two hurt would be able to play neither would be making this roster. The loser of that competition goes to Lehigh.

Twarynski is the only one getting a spot based on preseason if he makes the roster. Oh and I know you don't want Stewart here so I know who you wanted to get this spot but he lost in the coach and GM eyes. NAK getting this spot was gifting it to him for his play in the AHL. He lost the competition with a kid I have no problem with him or Twarynski taking that spot. I just don't want Stewart in that spot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Same old whining this morning, about a forward who hasn't even been signed and the #8 defenseman.

Go back to the 2009-10 and 2010-11 Flyers, bottom six forwards and third pair defensemen don't seem to have much impact on success, because those teams had their share of players (Shelley, Carcillo, a string of marginal defensemen) who were at the Stewart/Hagg level of play.

Third pair defensemen and bottom six forwards are pretty fungible for the post part, we're talking forwards who generally score 15-25 points on the 3rd line and 10-20 on the 4th line, so their defense (or lack of such) is more important for the 8-12 ES minutes they get per game. And most 3rd pair defensemen get 13-15 minutes a night at ES.

Or we can look at top teams:
TB: Girardi 15:30 at ES,
3rd liners, Miller (12:03, 27), Cirelli (11:56, 32), Killorn (11:33, 33)
4th liners, Joseph (10:27, 24), Callahan (10:00, 15), Paquette (9:56, 15), Erne (9:46, 18)
Tampa was exceptionally deep.

Boston: Grzelcyk 16:30, Moore 16:12, Miller 15:54,
3rd liners, Kuraly (12:24, 21), Wagner (11:57, 19), Nordstrom (11:43, 12)
4th liners, Acciari (11:22, 14), Backes (11:12, 13), Karlson/Bjork/Donato, 17 ES points in 82 games [or why they traded for Coyle and Johansson at the TDL]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarynski has yet to outplay NAK with any minute amount of consistency in games that actually count, but hey he scored in preaseason! Maybe he's just better at being a ****ing flyer, whatever that means.

Well given that neither has actually played games that count, it would be hard for Twarynski to out play NAK.
Twarynski's first AHL season is a mirror image of NAK's first AHL season.
And if Twarynski makes the team, he'll be in the same situation as Vorobyev last year, he has to perform to keep his spot on the roster.

Reactions: orangecrush8

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The way I view it (which might not be right...it could literally be as simple as them thinking Frost needs to fix things) is that center is harder. I still remain confident they'll call up Frost quickly if he shows it. I think it makes sense to do Farabee's 9 game trial now vs later too. He proved he's good enough for his spot, so he has 9 games to really show it'll continue.

There is no 9 game trial for Farabee, that only applies to junior players under 20.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Same old whining this morning, about a forward who hasn't even been signed and the #8 defenseman.

Go back to the 2009-10 and 2010-11 Flyers, bottom six forwards and third pair defensemen don't seem to have much impact on success, because those teams had their share of players (Shelley, Carcillo, a string of marginal defensemen) who were at the Stewart/Hagg level of play.

Third pair defensemen and bottom six forwards are pretty fungible for the post part, we're talking forwards who generally score 15-25 points on the 3rd line and 10-20 on the 4th line, so their defense (or lack of such) is more important for the 8-12 ES minutes they get per game. And most 3rd pair defensemen get 13-15 minutes a night at ES.

Or we can look at top teams:
TB: Girardi 15:30 at ES,
3rd liners, Miller (12:03, 27), Cirelli (11:56, 32), Killorn (11:33, 33)
4th liners, Joseph (10:27, 24), Callahan (10:00, 15), Paquette (9:56, 15), Erne (9:46, 18)
Tampa was exceptionally deep.

Boston: Grzelcyk 16:30, Moore 16:12, Miller 15:54,
3rd liners, Kuraly (12:24, 21), Wagner (11:57, 19), Nordstrom (11:43, 12)
4th liners, Acciari (11:22, 14), Backes (11:12, 13), Karlson/Bjork/Donato, 17 ES points in 82 games [or why they traded for Coyle and Johansson at the TDL]

Conveniently, the issues most of us have, is that the two players we are 'whining' about (and this is rich, coming from you, by the way) is that they are both terrible at defense. Glad we're finally on the same page!

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I was assured that our new GM knew best. Seems like some of that skepticism that some of us were chastised for this off season may have been warranted.
Outside of a select few, how many people here have staunchly defended every Fletcher move?

I have seen a lot of criticism from almost everyone about at least one of his offseason decisions. The general consensus seems to be lukewarm at best.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep. He is slide eligible. So his ELC year would not technically kick in until played over 9 games.

Not exactly an issue though as I am pretty sure he is playing 9+ whatever.

That's a different issue, whether they want to save money by delaying his first RFA season.
I think in the grand scheme of things, they couldn't give a fig if he plays well enough to stay on the team.
He'll still be ED exempt, which is far more important.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is so many hatred for Hagg, but why? Seems like just a trend. One said - another repeats. Obviously he doesnt deserve top-pair minutes, but not everyone should score. Someone should be on 3rd pair, play a shutdown role. Players who block shots without thinking deserve some respect. Especially if they doesnt kill capspace like AMac.

He sucks at playing a shutdown role. and he sucks at preventing shots. We have numerous better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->