Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
source.gif

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
There is so many hatred for Hagg, but why? Seems like just a trend. One said - another repeats. Obviously he doesnt deserve top-pair minutes, but not everyone should score. Someone should be on 3rd pair, play a shutdown role. Players who block shots without thinking deserve some respect. Especially if they doesnt kill capspace like AMac.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
There is so many hatred for Hagg, but why? Seems like just a trend. One said - another repeats. Obviously he doesnt deserve top-pair minutes, but not everyone should score. Someone should be on 3rd pair, play a shutdown role. Players who block shots without thinking deserve some respect. Especially if they doesnt kill capspace like AMac.
Because in a game like last night Hagg not getting on the scoresheet against King is the reason it went to a shootout... Not that any other player who is paid to score didn't score enough.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Fletcher would listen to AV on Stewart probably. Frost not making it is a shame because I really wanted to see what he could do at rw with his passing. Farabee in is a plus.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Because he doesnt do anything particularly well. His advanced metrics have him ranked as one of, if not the worst, defenseman in the league. His hits are always late, and usually pull him out of position, creating a scoring opportunity for the other team. He can't make NHL level decisions at NHL level speed, so he's often caught doing things he just has no business doing. He's just in way over his head.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I am sure he has input, but the final roster is Fletcher's call.

Fletcher gives him the 23 guys.

Or 22, or 21, or 20. It's all cap dependent.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Flyers Make 7 Roster Cuts: Impact and Fletcher Commentary

Do you anticipate carrying 22 players or 23 players when the season starts?

We could even carry 20 or 21. We’ll just have to see the cap situation and how the math works out. I anticipate an awful lot of roster changes the first six weeks of the year. Our goal right now is get a roster to play Chicago in Prague. When we get back, I am sure there will be things we need to do as we move forward. Right now it’s just about getting ready for Prague.

Speaking of Prague, how many players are you taking over there? AV said you may take a few extra. Is there a number you have in mind to take there?

Well, we’re going to bring three goalies. We’ll bring Alex Lyon as our third goaltender. After that, it will depend on the health of our team and where the competition may be. We can bring players over. Prior to the opening night roster submission, still make changes up until that point. We’ll see how the game goes Thursday night against the Rangers and where we are

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just had a hopeful thought.

There are lots of teams around the league who will need to waive guys to get under the cap by Wednesday, e.g. the Capitals. Maybe Fletcher is waiting to see who is available on waivers, and in the meantime he's just going with 12 forwards plus Stewart as the backup on a PTO.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Frost was just as good as Farabee but ok
The way I view it (which might not be right...it could literally be as simple as them thinking Frost needs to fix things) is that center is harder. I still remain confident they'll call up Frost quickly if he shows it. I think it makes sense to do Farabee's 9 game trial now vs later too. He proved he's good enough for his spot, so he has 9 games to really show it'll continue.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was assured that our new GM knew best. Seems like some of that skepticism that some of us were chastised for this off season may have been warranted.
It's insane, isn't it?

Over the past few months, anyone who brought up the slightest bit of concern about AV or Fletcher were labeled "negative", "Fletcher haters", "AV haters", and so on. Some were so far biased in their favor that they mistook anyone in the middle as being on the opposite extreme. Even when just bringing up concerns about them repeating past mistakes, the reaction was insane. Even posters with far better reputations than mine, who have proven to be pretty damn knowledgeable many times in the past, were swarmed. And look where we are.

I won't even make guarantees I can't back up, like they did. I'll be extremely generous and list these possible-to-likely inexcusable mistakes as merely having "a non-zero chance of occurring", which alone is still unacceptable:

-Stewart makes the starting 12
-Hagg makes the starting 6
-Myers gets benched
-Morin gets waived
-A healthy Frost is in the AHL
-Laughton is 3C
-Giroux gets moved back to C
-Sanheim plays on the right side (which I was told couldn't happen, and that I should "let my dream of Ghost playing on the right side die", because "AV doesn't play defensemen on their off sides")
-Sanheim is 5th on the defensemen PP depth chart
-Two AHL forwards are gifted spots based strictly on PRESEASON play
-NAK gets passed over by proven inferior players
... and I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting, but this is good enough for now. We all get the point.

We're back to where we started. Hoping that our stars and top youth can carry the team, in spite of managements attempts to hold them back and saddle them with dead weight.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Farabee doesn't have a 9 game trial, since he was a college player, he can go back and forth to the AHL.
The ten game rule applies to under 20 CHL players, NHL or junior hockey are the only options.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The way I view it (which might not be right...it could literally be as simple as them thinking Frost needs to fix things) is that center is harder. I still remain confident they'll call up Frost quickly if he shows it. I think it makes sense to do Farabee's 9 game trial now vs later too. He proved he's good enough for his spot, so he has 9 games to really show it'll continue.
I meant relative to expectations, given their different positions. In other words, Frost was as good at the harder position as Farabee was in his spot... if that makes sense?

I think if they believe Farabee did enough to earn this kind of praise (which I agree with, he was very good and deserves the spot.. I'm not bashing Farabee at all), then Frost deserves the same praise. But instead they give a nonsense excuse about Frost not getting on the scoreboard when he had chances... when Farabee didn't get on the scoreboard either, with even better chances and easier usage (with Couts and Giroux) than Frost got.

BOTH should be up and locked into starting spots right now. Especially when Patrick is out and we need some more skill in whats shaping up to be a... uh... "heavy" bottom 6.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
More concerned about how long it takes the regulars to assimilate AV's system/coaching style than the marginal roster additions at this point.

tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad