2019-20 Roster Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Marner is coming off of his ELC at less than a million a year. He's going to get ten times that and there goes all of the Leafs cap space. Every organization in the league knows that they're in trouble. They're going to get bent over to shed contracts in order to fit out their roster. What the Leafs need in return for the players that they will move out is affordability more than top level talent in return. Trades like Nylander for Ghost or Kapanen for Gudas is about the best that they will be able to get and afford. The more talented player that they get back in the trades that they make, the more salary they will be taking on and can't afford. For Toronto, its going to be all about the money.

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
I put Nylander in the same boat Ehlers , they fly around all season touching no one but putting up some points then playoffs start and they disappear . If we are going after someone try going after somebody with playoffs in mind not just scoring stats in regular season .

I agree. The playoffs are at a different level and all the talent in the world means nothing if you don’t want the puck on your stick. Zero interest in Nylander.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I agree. The playoffs are at a different level and all the talent in the world means nothing if you don’t want the puck on your stick. Zero interest in Nylander.

i dont disagree, problem with that is who is out there that are good playoff performers?

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Soo, I'm here after a week... And I'm seeing... send Ghost away and Nylander is not good for our team.

Oh god, some these fans... :D:help:

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
From living in Toronto and watching the leafs as much as the flyers, Gardiner is what the "trade Ghost" crowd thinks Ghost is. Happy he'll be off the leafs and hope to God he isn't coming to the flyers.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with Nylander is the Flyers lack grit in their forwards and experience in their defense.
Nylander doesn't help with either issue - if you add him you need to subtract one of Voracek, JR or TK or you'll be even softer up front.

Watching the playoffs this year, it's the teams with balance that excel, with both scorers and players who do the dirty work.

There are only a few two way players that excel over 200 feet, the trick is to fill out the rest of your forward lines with guys who aren't liabilities at either end, or at least not so many that they can't be sheltered and protected.

So your defensive checkers need some offensive skills, your scorers should have enough dedication to defense that they're not black holes, and you need some guys who'll do the dirty work, fight for pucks in the corners and go to the net and set screens.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Marner is coming off of his ELC at less than a million a year. He's going to get ten times that and there goes all of the Leafs cap space. Every organization in the league knows that they're in trouble. They're going to get bent over to shed contracts in order to fit out their roster. What the Leafs need in return for the players that they will move out is affordability more than top level talent in return. Trades like Nylander for Ghost or Kapanen for Gudas is about the best that they will be able to get and afford. The more talented player that they get back in the trades that they make, the more salary they will be taking on and can't afford. For Toronto, its going to be all about the money.

The first decision is if the Flyers should be friend or foe.

Do you be the one with the offer sheet to Marner to break them? Or even offer sheet Kapanen or Johansson?

Or are you the friend to give them okay value for Kadri, Kapanen or Johnsson when they have to be moved because of Marner.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

Do you be the one with the offer sheet to Marner to break them? Or even offer sheet Kapanen or Johansson?

Or are you the friend to give them okay value for Kadri, Kapanen or Johnsson when they have to be moved because of Marner.
This. An offer sheet is going to hurt us more in assets than it’ll be worth. Go the trade route.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We Offer Sheeting some Mofo's. Bet the bank on it. My guess is offer sheet to Kapanen.
I would take that bet.

Konecny, Provy and Sanheim....all are RFA. We need to worry about getting our our guys signed. Funny how it's easy to think we will OS a guy, yet those same people don't talk about US getting OS.

Oh...and the last signed OS was 6 years ago I believe. I say signed, because I do believe team have approached agents about signing ones but some players have declined them. We just never hear about it.

Reactions: BernieParent

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

If I was Fletcher, I'd lay back. Let the Leafs know that the Flyers are interesting in helping them out of the cap bind but allow another club to OS Marner first. Just a hunch but I think that the Islanders will do that as a bit of revenge plus Marner is worth it. Once Marner gets his OS, the Leafs will know how deep of a hole that they're in and what its going to take for them to get out of it.
My guess is that they'll want to move Nylander and Kadri for defensive help. Nylander has the stink of his hold out which precipitated the cap mess all over him. Kadri cost them a PO series. Nylander has two things that the Flyers could use-speed and scoring skill. I know that he has some deficiencies but he's young and is a talent. Kadri in O&B would not go well. He'd be in the box or suspended too much for his play. We all know how well a physical player for the Flyers is viewed by the officials and league office.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
The problem with Nylander is the Flyers lack grit in their forwards and experience in their defense.
Nylander doesn't help with either issue - if you add him you need to subtract one of Voracek, JR or TK or you'll be even softer up front.

Watching the playoffs this year, it's the teams with balance that excel, with both scorers and players who do the dirty work.

There are only a few two way players that excel over 200 feet, the trick is to fill out the rest of your forward lines with guys who aren't liabilities at either end, or at least not so many that they can't be sheltered and protected.

So your defensive checkers need some offensive skills, your scorers should have enough dedication to defense that they're not black holes, and you need some guys who'll do the dirty work, fight for pucks in the corners and go to the net and set screens.

This and the play of Stone in playoffs really makes me wish we stepped up and got Stone.

With Toronto and the league having far more experienced GMs than Dubas, gotta think some GMs are monitoring their situation very, very closely. He stuck to his word with keeping Nylander, but seems he eventually caved with the $ amount. I would bet Dubas is forced to make a bad choice this summer. And if we can be that team, so bet it. Offer sheets have this "bad blood" mentality and the Preds def didn't forget us offer-sheeting Weber, but who cares if we tarnish a future with Toronto if trades. With their youth and contracts, not like they can offer sheet one of our eventual (or current) RFAs who are going get paid.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I would take that bet.

Konecny, Provy and Sanheim....all are RFA. We need to worry about getting our our guys signed. Funny how it's easy to think we will OS a guy, yet those same people don't talk about US getting OS.

Oh...and the last signed OS was 6 years ago I believe. I say signed, because I do believe team have approached agents about signing ones but some players have declined them. We just never hear about it.

Why would someone offer sheet our guys when we have plenty of cap space....

Reactions: Ruck Over
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad