2019-20 Roster Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Good thing having Giroux in the system and Richards and Carter in the lineup didn't keep us from signing Danny Briere in 2007 :sarcasm:

We will win with depth my friend. I want our 3rd line to be better than most teams 2nd line.

Since we are on the topic of Nylander, imagine, if you will, a 20-21 lineup that has a Farabee - Frost - Nylander 3rd line
Chaching!!! Talking about waves! I’m with you man, I want two first lines a second line a third line.

Reactions: Rebels57

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Good thing having Giroux in the system and Richards and Carter in the lineup didn't keep us from signing Danny Briere in 2007 :sarcasm:

We will win with depth my friend. I want our 3rd line to be better than most teams 2nd line.

Since we are on the topic of Nylander, imagine, if you will, a 20-21 lineup that has a Farabee - Frost - Nylander 3rd line

That's nice. Except the situation the Flyers are in now is totally dissimilar to the one you referenced. That rebuild was thrown together out of thin air. Every piece was a necessity.

Today, we mostly have the pieces. Half the battle now will just be figuring out a way to retain enough cap flexibility to keep them all and grow them with proper roles.

Also, 90% of the posts on the last page have been about trading valuable assets we need, like Ghost or a 1st round pick, for a total luxury. Not a free agent signing.

By the way, where the f*** is @Striiker? He's usually the one who has to talk all the Holmgren's and Hakstol's off the ledge. I don't want this job.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's nice. Except the situation the Flyers are in now is totally dissimilar to the one you referenced. That rebuild was thrown together out of thin air. Every piece was a necessity.

Today, we mostly have the pieces. Half the battle now will just be figuring out a way to retain enough cap flexibility to keep them all and grow them with proper roles.

Also, 90% of the posts on the last page have been about trading valuable assets we need, like Ghost or a 1st round pick, for a total luxury. Not a free agent signing.

By the way, where the **** is @Striiker? He's usually the one who has to talk all the Holmgren's and Hakstol's off the ledge. I don't want this job.

I get that you don't want to ever take a chance by making a single trade, but Fletcher doesn't feel that way, and we all know that. It doesn't have anything to do with members of this board being "Holmgren's." Moves are coming. Embrace the chaos.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Hey, just a reminder. This guy exists.

Morgan-Frost-8-31-18.jpg

Is that Jagr?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I think people are really downplaying the impact that Frost and Farabee are looking very likely to have on this team within the next 2 years.

We really don’t need to be clogging up our squad with guys on huge 2nd\3rd contracts, at the expense of other solid pieces.

Our farm system was hot garbage in the first Holmgren rebuild era. Not the case anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If this year's playoffs taught us anything, it's that the speed/skill teams that lack grit are soon history.
So the first question when adding forwards, is whether they're going to swing the pendulum too far toward speed/skill.
I'd prefer Kapanen because he's a RW, he's cheaper and he's more likely to commit to a two way game.
We already have Voracek, JVR, and TK in the top 9, how many offense first forwards can we carry at one time?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think people are really downplaying the impact that Frost and Farabee are looking very likely to have on this team within the next 2 years.

We really don’t need to be clogging up our squad with guys on huge 2nd\3rd contracts, at the expense of other solid pieces.

Our farm system was hot garbage in the first Holmgren rebuild era. Not the case anymore.

Not many are downplaying Frost and Farabee, but management isn't going to bank on their production in lieu of any external acquisitions. Ideally we add one top 6 forward plus 1 of them to the opening night lineup for next season.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I get that you don't want to ever take a chance by making a single trade, but Fletcher doesn't feel that way, and we all know that. It doesn't have anything to do with members of this board being "Holmgren's." Moves are coming. Embrace the chaos.

Yeah, ok.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Can't imagine the Leafs will trade Nylander right after signing him to that deal. If anything, I'd imagine they'd trade Nylander only to keep a guy like Kapanen around, not trade them together.
The Leafs have big cap problems, They have to pay Marner in a range just below what they paid Matthews and Tavares. They are not going to be able to keep Gardiner, who is UFA and will walk.

Nylander is a very skilled, fast player who is softer than butter left in the sun. He had a terrible year after holding out for $7Mx7.

I am certain they are going to trade Kadri. He effectively cost them first round losses to Boston the last two years with stupid suspensions. He is a key player for them, the depth a C that differentiated the Leafs from the Bruins. He was as good as gone as soon as he hit DeBrusk.

They also have to pay Johnsson and Kapanen who are RFAs and will command big raises in the $4-5M range.

My gut tells me they will trade Kadri and Kapanen, and keep Johnsson and Nylander - as probably can't find a buyer for Nylander.

I've thought a lot about whether Nylander would be a good value buy for the Flyers. He's tempting, but he really did suck all year and in the playoffs. We can't afford a guy with that salary blocking Frost and Patrick and we don't need him at all if he's only a RW.

Kadri? He would be a great Flyer: annoying, chirpy, fast and skilled - and Babcock taught him how to play D.

What would the cost be? That's the key.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Leafs have big cap problems, They have to pay Marner in a range just below what they paid Matthews and Tavares. They are not going to be able to keep Gardiner, who is UFA and will walk.

Nylander is a very skilled, fast player who is softer than butter left in the sun. He had a terrible year after holding out for $7Mx7.

I am certain they are going to trade Kadri. He effectively cost them first round losses to Boston the last two years with stupid suspensions. He is a key player for them, the depth a C that differentiated the Leafs from the Bruins. He was as good as gone as soon as he hit DeBrusk.

They also have to pay Johnsson and Kapanen who are RFAs and will command big raises in the $4-5M range.

My gut tells me they will trade Kadri and Kapanen, and keep Johnsson and Nylander - as probably can't find a buyer for Nylander.

I've thought a lot about whether Nylander would be a good value buy for the Flyers. He's tempting, but he really did suck all year and in the playoffs. We can't afford a guy with that salary blocking Frost and Patrick and we don't need him at all if he's only a RW.

Kadri? He would be a great Flyer: annoying, chirpy, fast and skilled - and Babcock taught him how to play D.

What would the cost be? That's the key.

Good post. Kadri at a discount relative to his actual on-ice value is definitely appealing.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Better hope it's not a garbage move while embracing that chaos.

Are Frost aged 20 and Farabee aged 19 better prospects than Patrick was at age 19?

He has 61 points in 145 games in his first two years.

I don't know. Was Brayden Point a better prospect age 19-20 than Sam Reinhart?

It's not the impossibility you're making out that they are better, either faster or in general. And Patrick is still a heckuva talent. And that doesn't void acquiring the right fit player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Better hope it's not a garbage move while embracing that chaos.

I don't know. Was Brayden Point a better prospect age 19-20 than Sam Reinhart?

It's not the impossibility you're making out that they are better, either faster or in general. And Patrick is still a heckuva talent. And that doesn't void acquiring the right fit player.

My fingers are permanently crossed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I avoid Nylander, just for the fact that at 6.9 million, it distorts our future RFA numbers. He is a 69 point guy, who got those points playing with Matthews. That scares me.

I would much rather Kapanen not only because he would be cheaper to acquire and sign, but he would help our team speed and be used in the PK.

But ultimately, we really need someone who can play at C if Frost is not ready to start the season, and Kap is not that. But could you do a Kap and Marleau deal where essentially you take the cap hit of Marleau, to get Kap at a better price. Then you play Marleau as the #3 C if Frost is not ready to start. Definition of a stopgap.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I avoid Nylander, just for the fact that at 6.9 million, it distorts our future RFA numbers. He is a 69 point guy, who got those points playing with Matthews. That scares me.

I would much rather Kapanen not only because he would be cheaper to acquire and sign, but he would help our team speed and be used in the PK.

But ultimately, we really need someone who can play at C if Frost is not ready to start the season, and Kap is not that. But could you do a Kap and Marleau deal where essentially you take the cap hit of Marleau, to get Kap at a better price. Then you play Marleau as the #3 C if Frost is not ready to start. Definition of a stopgap.

Just throwing ideas out there.

This is intriguing, but Marleau would have to waive his NMC.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is intriguing, but Marleau would have to waive his NMC.
And he ugh that if he sees that we are adding AV as coach, then him and Kap, and if we added a D beforehand, it becomes a bigger possibility.

But honestly, I think we can add a F thru FA and a D thru trade.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do not want Marleau, stick a fork in him.

Nylander is not only expensive, but you have to ask how would he score here.

If he's a 40 ES scorer and on the 2nd PP unit, you're paying $6.9M for a so-so 2C with a questionable commitment to defense, similar to Duchene, lower cap cost but a big asset hit.

If we can only afford to add one major long-term salary, who should it be, an offensive center, two way forward or a defenseman.
Now if you could move out Voracek, then adding Nylander makes more sense, trading one expensive scorer with a younger, faster, cheaper version.

Reactions: renberg

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Gardiner seems like a whipping boy in Toronto. I still think he is a good middle pairing guy. Its just the Leafs team D is brutal and its Gardiner who gets the blame.
They really need to trade Nylander for defense. Not sure if Dubas will ever get that tho

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Gardiner seems like a whipping boy in Toronto. I still think he is a good middle pairing guy. Its just the Leafs team D is brutal and its Gardiner who gets the blame.
They really need to trade Nylander for defense. Not sure if Dubas will ever get that tho

I agree with this...but he most definitely deserves the blame as the bizzaro Justin "Mr. Game 7" Williams

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
-10 in 3 game 7's.

He produces at ES, can move and skate the puck out. But he makes bad decisions in the DZ.

They...and US....need a Dman that is actually good defensively in the D zone. People can talk about net this and that, but giving up grade A chances against is a bad thing. Having that solid Dman playing NEXT to a Gardiner would be ideal as they can cover each other's weaknesses.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I put Nylander in the same boat Ehlers , they fly around all season touching no one but putting up some points then playoffs start and they disappear . If we are going after someone try going after somebody with playoffs in mind not just scoring stats in regular season .

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't mind Gardiner, but he is noted for catastrophic screw ups. He skates miles and miles and has improved on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad