2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can hardly take Ralph 100 percent serious when he has a huge hole at center and puts Johansson there and doesnt even attempt Reinhart

And I'm certainly not against Ralph at all

Not really fair to get on Ralph over something that seems to be an organizational decision. Once Botts was talking about Sam driving lines from the wing. I think its safe to say thats when Sam at center died for certain.

I don’t know what the specific reason for it was. Sam’s wishes, the organization feeling the best version of Sam is on the wing or a combo of both.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I’ll admit. I haven’t paid much attention this off-season since the Jokhijarju acquisition. But Sobotka on the roster still?!?!? Let alone giving him an opportunity in the top-6?????
I don’t understand that at all.

Overall:
I like Dahlin-Miller as a pair.
I like putting Johansson at center to help insulate Mittelstadt.
I like Olofsson getting a shot with Eichel.

I don’t like Okposo dragging down Mittelstadt.
I don’t like McCabe-Ristolainen as a pair.
I don’t like Eichel-Reinhart on the same line (they need to let Reinhart carry a line, IMO).

What do I expect?
Low 80’s in points, they’ll be in the mix for a wild card until February and then it’ll inevitably implode.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why does this years roster feel like the front office is the customer at a car repair shop refusing to get a new set of tires even though the shop has demonstrated clearly they are not only worn below the legal limit, but indeed dangerous to drive on.

No need to worry about those old tires at the moment, because next year we get a fresh coat of paint, and we're changing the oil, and refilling the fluids, and we're going to be adding bigger tires to the car...

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If I had to guess, a big reason Sobotka probably got that spot for the moment is due to Krueger’s faith in Sobotka understanding the defensive system/structure they want to implement.
That and Sobotka has looked better this preseason then at any other point as a sabre

Reactions: joshjull

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If I had to guess the reasons Sobotka got that spot over Erod its due to Krueger’s faith in Sobotka understanding the defensive system/structure they want to implement. I’m not guessing about him having faith in Sobotka having that understanding, Kruger has said that in interviews. I’m just speculating it may be part of the , reason along with other factors like preseason play, that Vlad got that spot.

I feel as though, it probably would be best to switch Girgensons and Sobotka up if the coach is so dead set on playing Sobotka. I feel both are equal in understanding the defensive side of the game but Sobotka could work the cycle game better than Girgs can with Larsson, Girgs would improve on the element of speed on the 2nd line that would work well with MaJo and Skinner. It would kind of rebuild the line he had during the tank years. Free him up for more offensive chances.

They could be just putting Sobotka for faceoff duties on that 2nd line. With Skinner's ability to create takeaways and Johansson I'm feeling that line will do the heavy defensive matchups which I'm not a fan of as that is exactly the problem with Sobotka's usage last year.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Listening to Krueger’s post practice presser. Basically nothing is set in stone .

“This group of 22 we’re extremely pleased with. We have lots of tools in the bag. How that final roster will look and how that final makeup will look. We won’t decide until game day”

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Both guys' play resulted in a ~40% expected goals share and Sobotka got outscored more. Statistically Sobotka was just as useless as always.

Wait a damn second... So you already said preseason games 'don't mean ****', and then you quote analytics directly from those very preseason games to try to detract from an obvious bias & make player comparisons??? Just forget your fudgy stats for a minute - the 'eyeball test' is all that's needed for the Sobotka/Erod comparison in THIS particular camp & 3gm preseason - neither was GOOD, Evan's performance in more games & TOI was worse & he looked less engaged overall.

STAT NOTE: Erod's 38% vs Sobotka's 70% in the face off circle is something that would also greatly effect my decision based on the Vlad/Mojo freelance C situation happening right now on the 2nd line.

Reactions: Sabreality

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Beaulieu getting hurt won't move the needle on a potential Risto deal. They claimed that LHD off of waivers to fill his spot.

Risto will depend on the Byfuglien situation or Winnipeg's willingness to move a young forward for defensive help.

I feel the Risto situation will also depend on the health of the Buffalo's RHD more than anything. I don't think Risto is getting traded right now. I think he's waiting to find out how Bogo's progression is coming and how rehab is going, not to mention Montour's health as well.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Hopefully I'll never have to see charts/graphs for a player in Housleys system again, I know theyre nice to use to support a opinion...but Phil was the BIG problem right? Didnt we all agree on that? I'm all for fresh slates, if Vlad sucks, so be it, not holding my breathe that ERod is an answer anyway either...or Okposo.

Erod was one of the few forwards with positive metrics and that's despite being deployed in a defensive manner.

So if Housley was a huge problem (no argument) and even the worst players are going to benefit, I guess with a new coach Erod will be even better too?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Listening to Krueger’s post practice presser. Basically nothing is set in stone .

“This group of 22 we’re extremely pleased with. We have lots of tools in the bag. How that final roster will look and how that final makeup will look. We won’t decide until game day”
With one caveat.

Krueger seems quite excited about the top line. I’m guessing they stay together.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Krueger is really trolling us after all! :laugh:

(the okay hand gesture is a meme with some pretty bad connotations, for those not aware.)

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I feel the Risto situation will also depend on the health of the Buffalo's RHD more than anything. I don't think Risto is getting traded right now. I think he's waiting to find out how Bogo's progression is coming and how rehab is going, not to mention Montour's health as well.

It's possible, but I really doubt it. If you're Botterill and have been waiting for months to get a good return on Risto, you don't backtrack once you get that good offer because Montour is out for a few weeks or that perpetually injured Bogosian is out for longer.

We have Nelson and Borgen waiting in the pipeline who are both perfectly fine injury fill-ins in the short term. If Botterill gets the offer he wants for Risto, he better jump on that without hesitation.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad