2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 13: 1 Less D

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Wow...did not realize only 3 teams have fewer road wins than us...Gosh, we really suck bad.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
why can't we bring in buffalo bills fan, Mr. Logan Couture??? BOTTS MAKE IT HAPPEN

If this was 4, hell even 3 years ago I would be all for it. But soon to be 31 year old Logan Couture is only in year 1 of his 8 year, 8 mil per deal. Considering even at his peak Couture was "just" a 55-65 point player and averages a bit over 60 points per 82 games played he simply just isn't a good enough player to commit nearly 10% of your cap to Couture as he goes through his entire 30s making that bank.

Though if the price was cheap enough, and the Sharks take Okposo I would bite the bullet.

But it would have to be a very very cheap cost. As in Samuelsson or Johnson + 2nd + Okposo for Couture. Sharks add essentially a late 1st round D prospect and an early 2nd for Couture whilst taking back Okposo to make the cap work. If Couture can put up say 2 more ~65 point seasons after this one and 2 more ~50 point seasons after that, then I would take the pain of paying 8 mil per for a 40 point player in his mid to late 30s for 3 full years. By the mid 2020s hopefully the cap is well over 100 mil or a new CBA adds a luxury tax to ease the sting.

Sooner or later though we simply need to take those kind of risks. What is the point of keeping a "clean" cap when this team languishes as a non playoff team for 10+ years? Now of course I am not advocating for more Okposo type trash but if we can add a high level scorer who is entering his 30s and has a lot of term left I would say f*** it and do it. Worry about the cap later. Because the bigger worry of keeping Dahlin long term isn't making sure we have the cap but making sure Dahlin doesn't demand a 4 or 5 year deal so he can leave this sorry sack of shit franchise as soon as possible.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It seems like your team's management isn't satisfied with not making the playoffs and is going to buy at the deadline. How available is your 1st? I'd be willing to do a deal for it around Zucker or Brodin
1st+Minnesota boy Okposo for Zucker+Firstov

That’s how available the 1st is

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
"After surrendering his top selection in this year’s draft to the Ottawa Senators as part of the deal to get defenceman Erik Karlsson in September 2018, the word is Wilson is embarrassed that could be a lottery selection because of the backwards turn the Sharks have taken this season and, as a result, he’ll try desperately to get a first-rounder back at this year’s deadline."

San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson could be ready to play Let’s Make a Deal

It’s Garrioch, but if true, Sabres 1st for Hertl as the starting point for a deal?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Like the player plenty, but woof that contract. He'll turn 31 this spring and is signed through 26-27. That thing is gonna have a lot of ugly years on it.

Couture (love his game) has one of those "Yea, Im definitely not going to be around for this problem" contracts that GMs give out.

He's exactly the type of Selke caliber center we need... to bad he didn't just have 3 years remaining.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Couture (love his game) has one of those "Yea, Im definitely not going to be around for this problem" contracts that GMs give out.

He's exactly the type of Selke caliber center we need... to bad he didn't just have 3 years remaining.
I would way overpay for Tomas Hertl. Sharks are prime to be picked.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I would way overpay for Tomas Hertl. Sharks are prime to be picked.

Hertl or Zibanejad seem like the ideal, too good to be true, targets.
- Both have 2 seasons remaining after this year (natural bridges to Cozens or lessl likely Mitts resurrection)
- Both are on teams that are either in or headed to some form of rebuilding
- Both are experienced 1st line centers in their prime

SJs reported desperation in acquiring a 1st is certainly exciting, but a 1st alone doesn't sniff Hertl.

1st, Mitts, Montour for Hertl?

That's essentially 4 first rounders for Hertl... In my experience, this board doesn't have the stomach for that type of move ;)

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Eh, when I thought we were building towards a cup window, I'd parse value on that kind of deal. Now I'm just curious if we can make February interesting again.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
- Both have 2 seasons remaining after this year (natural bridges to Cozens or lessl likely Mitts resurrection)

SJs reported desperation in acquiring a 1st is certainly exciting, but a 1st alone doesn't sniff Hertl.

That's essentially 4 first rounders for Hertl... In my experience, this board doesn't have the stomach for that type of move ;)

I'd do that trade. We won't and can't be a successful contender until we have a legit 2C. Hertl is a 1B.
Our first rounder this year (7-15) might be a contributor in 3 years..... Eichel is prime now. Dahlin is closer to prime next season.
Mittelstadt could hurt but again we will have Hertl and Cozens. Risto has resurrected his development enough under Ralph to make Montour expendable.

So YES.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres should be looking at Granlund. He's listed at Center but plays RW, and he's struggled since being traded to Nashville but he's 27 and a UFA at the end of the year. If the team can dump Bogo in the trade that'd be ideal, if not, waive him to create cap space for Granlund.

I don't think the cost should be too high since he only has 16 points on the year, at most a 2nd, but ideally a third.

Craig Smith is on the block, per Friedman's latest 31-thoughts. 31 Thoughts: How recent Stanley Cup champions approached trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

There is no connection or mention of Buffalo being interested. Hell, outside of the comment that the Frolik deal cleared salary for the Flames, there is no mention of the Sabres at all.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto

Love it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I like it. Would probably start off negotiating with the 1st protected in some way.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

This is a nice trade proposal. Has the potential to hurt but is well worth the risk. The 1st+Cozens+ proposals from before were non starters but this one would be doable.

Looking at the draft, past the top 12 it isn’t that exciting. Mitts has potential but will he realize it. Montour is a nice piece but he isn’t bumping Risto or Joki at this point and what are you paying him to be your 3rd pairing guy after this year.

I would pull the trigger on this and SJ would probably listen for sure.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Craig Smith is on the block, per Friedman's latest 31-thoughts. 31 Thoughts: How recent Stanley Cup champions approached trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

There is no connection or mention of Buffalo being interested. Hell, outside of the comment that the Frolik deal cleared salary for the Flames, there is no mention of the Sabres at all.

I'd be fine with Smith as well. He's three years older than Granlund, but he's also about $1 million cheaper and has a few more points. I just want some cheap scoring help for the team that aren't likely to be picked in the expansion draft.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Smith would be a great add, but we are in no position to overpay for a rental. Boston or Pittsburgh is going to come in and pay the premium of draft picks to get him.

Hertl trade would hurt if we can’t re sign him, but you at least get two full seasons out of him. Could do worse. SJ is desperate for that first rounder because that’s how valuable they really are.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

I would do that in a minute.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

You dont give up that for hertl.

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad