2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What can Reinhart get us?

Reinhart + Risto for Ehlers +?

I'm actually at a loss for what this team can do to improve.

It's bad.

I don't think the team can improve significantly from where they are unless either Reinhart becomes capable of running a line on his own; or some team loses their mind and gets ripped off trading for Risto.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
It's going to take a total team effort by the fans. 24 hour surveillance on Sobotka, Vesey, Okposo, and sometimes Sheary, with someone waiting around a corner and ready to push them down at any moment. Not Bogosian though...he'll hurt himself at some point.
We won't even need to push sheary down. We can just walk backwards in front of him and he'll fall on his own

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Put Sam at center with Skinner and mojo on the wings. Jack can take the first line by himself with whatever garbage is left over

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What can Reinhart get us?

Reinhart + Risto for Ehlers +?

I'm actually at a loss for what this team can do to improve.

It's bad.
He's been terrible outside of 4 or 5 games but he really needs to be played on a line away from Eichel before we get to that point. He and Jack bring out the worst of each other when they're on the same line and if our owners would stop hiring f***ing idiots this would have been addressed.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I honestly question if some of you learn anything from watching this team or league when I see an offer like Risto and Sam for Ehlers.

Like how many times do we have to be shown that you need to add talent up yo a certain point rather than just shuffle a random guy you don't like for a new random guy you don't know well.

For the record, Ehlers has been on a far superior team until this year, still better even struggling this year with defense, and despite that, he had worse production than Sam as a rookie, ten points more a year in year 2-3, and lesser pace than Sam last year.

And this year Sam has a better pace.

Now how in the world, does trading Reinhart and Risto for a guy who is under the most favorable light, slightly better than Reinhart possibly make them better?

The only thing more inane than watching this team fails is watching the opinions that fly out of this place.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I honestly question if some of you learn anything from watching this team or league when I see an offer like Risto and Sam for Ehlers.

Like how many times do we have to be shown that you need to add talent up yo a certain point rather than just shuffle a random guy you don't like for a new random guy you don't know well.

For the record, Ehlers has been on a far superior team until this year, still better even struggling this year with defense, and despite that, he had worse production than Sam as a rookie, ten points more a year in year 2-3, and lesser pace than Sam last year.

Now how in the world, does trading Reinhart and Risto for a guy who is under the most favorable light, slightly better than Reinhart possibly make them better?

The only thing more inane than watching this team fails is watching the opinions that fly out of this place.

No need to go off the deep end... i was literally racking my brain on what this team can do... Im not married to it... but it is certainly something i can get behind depending on the + we could get back from Jets. But to answer your question ... well if we get a slightly better player who is under contract at a decent rate considering Sam will probably get 7 mill + at the same time we rid ourselves of Risto and hopefully bring back a player or two who can add some depth.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

Seriously, let's pump the brakes on these Sam/risto trades. They are far from the problem, which is that we have no scoring depth and McCabe is our other 1st pair dman.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure any amount of trades can help this team. It has to come from drafting and development.... And no one really has any clue as to how that'll shake out

More years of losing are on the way......

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
No need to go off the deep end... i was literally racking my brain on what this team can do... Im not married to it... but it is certainly something i can get behind depending on the + we could get back from Jets. But to answer your question ... well if we get a slightly better player who is under contract at a decent rate considering Sam will probably get 7 mill + at the same time we rid ourselves of Risto and hopefully bring back a player or two who can add some depth.

I apologise if it seemed like I was after you specifically, its more of a group think mentality that comes up a lot. Especially after so much failure.

Here's the thing, just trade Risto and a plus for your needed top 6 forward. Or for futures and use that cap space. Now you have an additional forward that you need and Risto's money available, with plenty of defenders to eat up Risto's minutes.

Or if you want to move Reinhart because of his perceived contract to come, aim higher than Ehlers, at the minimum.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Seriously, let's pump the brakes on these Sam/risto trades. They are far from the problem, which is that we have no scoring depth and McCabe is our other 1st pair dman.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure any amount of trades can help this team. It has to come from drafting and development.... And no one really has any clue as to how that'll shake out

I have a clue about how the Ryan Johnson pick is going to shake out

Reactions: sabremike

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
we need to fix up this top 9 Sheary vesey sobotka erod have to go it honestly is getting embarrassing. what does botts see that we don't in those players, you could literally replace him with energy guys i wouldn't care. it probably be a better result at least if they;re not scoring they'll be hitting crashing the net Etc. for example.

Skinner Eichel Kassian
Oloffson Mojo Reinhart
Maroon-Mitts - Simmonds/Reaves/Perry/
Girgs-Larson-Foglino

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

There's plenty of help trades could do. It juat needs to be value in and not swaps.

Its part of why I was never impressed with the Skinner move. Great trade for the value it cost to trade, but team wise, all that trade did was replace Kane's production for the difference in value between Pu a high second vs O'Regan and a super late first. It's not an improvement team wise, its just a shuffle.

But with the pieces they have now, they could certainly be making some future trades to bring in real talent.

You want Ehlers and improve the team? See if the Peg bites on Risto and a 2020 first gets it done.

You need another center? Trade Mitts, 2020 first rounder, Cozens and Pekar and take a real run at Malkin.

We have plenty of faults. But we still have 3 legitimate top line players. A couple other bubble guys if they had help that could be just fine.

Risto, 2020 second and Pekar for Ehlers

Mitts, Cozens, Sheary, Vesey, 2020 first, 2021 first for Malkin

Skinner Jack VO
Marjo Malkin Reinhart
LOG
Fourth line of Asplund Tage and Smith

Obviously who knows if the Pens are willing to do something like that, but there is always a team or two each year who makes a big move like that.

Does that trade make us a guaranteed contender? Probably not. But it makes us a playoff team. And it doesn't require an unexpected player or two to do well just to have a chance. Instead if someone unexpectedly pops, they could be a dangerous team.

Guh, what a horrific waste of three years.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
There's plenty of help trades could do. It juat needs to be value in and not swaps.

Its part of why I was never impressed with the Skinner move. Great trade for the value it cost to trade, but team wise, all that trade did was replace Kane's production for the difference in value between Pu a high second vs O'Regan and a super late first. It's not an improvement team wise, its just a shuffle.

But with the pieces they have now, they could certainly be making some future trades to bring in real talent.

You want Ehlers and improve the team? See if the Peg bites on Risto and a 2020 first gets it done.

You need another center? Trade Mitts, 2020 first rounder, Cozens and Pekar and take a real run at Malkin.

We have plenty of faults. But we still have 3 legitimate top line players. A couple other bubble guys if they had help that could be just fine.

Risto, 2020 second and Pekar for Ehlers

Mitts, Cozens, Sheary, Vesey, 2020 first, 2021 first for Malkin
If you trade malkin i bet he bolts back to russia, especially if its to buffalo

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I could see some blockbuster with Flames if the GMs were bolder, especially since their scouts were at the game against Carolina.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I could see some blockbuster with Flames if the GMs were bolder, especially since their scouts were at the game against Carolina.

I think it's possible to make a deal and get something you need if you overpay. I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather overpay and make the team better now than wait months for the perfect deal to come along.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think it's possible to make a deal and get something you need if you overpay. I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather overpay and make the team better now than wait months for the perfect deal to come along.

If the 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres were a first round picks worth of losing a trade from being a conference final candidate this might make sense. But this is just tossing future value onto the bonfire. It's why Toronto was terrible for the first 10 years of the Cap Era.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
If the 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres were a first round picks worth of losing a trade from being a conference final candidate this might make sense. But this is just tossing future value onto the bonfire. It's why Toronto was terrible for the first 10 years of the Cap Era.
I wasn't talking about trading futures, particularly 1st round picks. I'd have no problem dealing some of our defensive depth for forwards. When I see some of the expected returns for Ristolainen I shake my head. It reminds me of waiting to trade Evander Kane and being disappointed. Take what you can get now and move on. Those Leaf trades were really bad. :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Eichel needs some winger with power. He slows the game down so much that he doesn’t need speedy wingers. And when he bursts, he shoots more often than not.

Right now Eichel is the best board player on his line. That’s not good.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

100% here. As I've said before, the roster is came into the season with some serious flaws. As much as I'm not a fan of Kruger, he's also limited by a poorly constructed roster.

Tim Murray, is that you? ;)

To be fair to Jbott's, after he assembled his forward group, he did f*** all to fix the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->