Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Werner has got better every game he played so far. Looks like he is adjusting well to NA style. Started 3 games of the 4 they played so far.

Game 1: 3.19/.889%
Game 2: 2.96/.917%
Game 3: 1.85/.933%
I'm gonna quote myself.

Werner improved one more time on previous games.
Tonight he had 2 goals against and a .944 SV%.

Small sample size but this is the best I have felt about our goalie depth/prospects in a very very long time. Even Shmakov is having a great start to the season. Is this really the Avs organization?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Four straight shutouts is insane.

If he doens't get scored on in the next three minutes he's between the pipes, he will have the longest shutout streak in the history of Liiga.

Kärpät is no doubt a great team but by all means they're not steamrolling over their opponents. I'd argue that KooKoo for example had a lot more scoring opportunites than Kärpät last night. Annunen is just legit great rn and hopefully he keeps playing great.

We just might have a legit future starter. Sample size is very small but he looks great and very promising.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly.... Annunen is doing great. But Werner is quietly off to a great start in North America as well now. As AAA pointed out just above here, he's gotten better in every start and now has a really solid 2.48 GAA and .922 sv% through 4 games.

And Francouz is continuing to prove that he's legit at the NHL level.

All of a sudden the Avs look kind of deep in net with a legit #1G in Grubs, Frankie looking like a real strong backup goalie who I still firmly believe can be a #1G in the NHL. And now we have two young Goalies playing real well to start the year in the AHL and Liiga.

Depth across the organization starting to build up.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Can I just say how great it is to finally see so many people on this forum expressing happiness and optimism with regards to the Avalanche organisation. It's such a refreshing change from not that long ago when the general mood around here was sullen bitterness for the most part. I think the wounds of the past are finally starting to heal. Let's keep this up, boys!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Honestly.... Annunen is doing great. But Werner is quietly off to a great start in North America as well now. As AAA pointed out just above here, he's gotten better in every start and now has a really solid 2.48 GAA and .922 sv% through 4 games.

And Francouz is continuing to prove that he's legit at the NHL level.

All of a sudden the Avs look kind of deep in net with a legit #1G in Grubs, Frankie looking like a real strong backup goalie who I still firmly believe can be a #1G in the NHL. And now we have two young Goalies playing real well to start the year in the AHL and Liiga.

Depth across the organization starting to build up.
Yeah and as I said earlier Shmakov is having himself a very good start for Cedar Rapids in the USHL with a 1.00 GAA and .965 SV% in 3 games. Really weird to see the Avs with that kind of goaltending. Small sample size though so let's see how it turns out.

Reactions: LTC Pain

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If he doens't get scored on in the next three minutes he's between the pipes, he will have the longest shutout streak in the history of Liiga.

Kärpät is no doubt a great team but by all means they're not steamrolling over their opponents. I'd argue that KooKoo for example had a lot more scoring opportunites than Kärpät last night. Annunen is just legit great rn and hopefully he keeps playing great.

We just might have a legit future starter. Sample size is very small but he looks great and very promising.
If I'm Karpat I'm putting all 5 skaters in the crease with Annunen for the first three minutes of the next game to get him that record. LOL

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
If I'm Karpat I'm putting all 5 skaters in the crease with Annunen for the first three minutes of the next game to get him that record. LOL
Imagine being the guy with a giveaway just a few seconds shy of the record. Better commit sudoku before your teammates get to you.

Reactions: Murzu

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm sure I am in the minority but I am not sold on Newhook being a top-6 for us. This has nothing to do with his current start by the way. I really hope he proves me wrong.

Maybe it is because I'm still trying to recover from Sakic passing on Krebs at #16. Passing on Turcotte and Kolyachonok at #4 and #47 is really not helping me either in my recovery.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm sure I am in the minority but I am not sold on Newhook being a top-6 for us. This has nothing to do with his current start by the way. I really hope he proves me wrong.

Maybe it is because I'm still trying to recover from Sakic passing on Krebs at #16. Passing on Turcotte and Kolyachonok at #4 and #47 is really not helping me either in my recovery.
It's not that I doubt Newhook as a player nor do I doubt his offensive skills. The real question for me is if he will be a centre in the NHL which could potentially limit his offensive talent compared to someone like Krebs who will succeed as a two-way centre.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's not that I doubt Newhook as a player nor do I doubt his offensive skills. The real question for me is if he will be a centre in the NHL which could potentially limit his offensive talent compared to someone like Krebs who will succeed as a two-way centre.

Agreed. Personally I think Newhook can can end up working well at wing, but I don't know how impactful he will be as a NHL center. Especially given the type of role he'd have to play to have that spot.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

There's really no point in playing draft hindsight games. You're just wasting your own time and energy spending even a millisecond thinking about "what could have been".

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There's really no point in playing draft hindsight games. You're just wasting your own time and energy spending even a millisecond thinking about "what could have been".
I'm not playing draft hindsight. Those are three guys I was really really high on and two of them are having great starts (the third Krebs is still recuperating from and injury) and would have fit really well on this team. Hindsight is more like when you picked the guys you wanted but should have picked others that turned out to be better. I already wanted those guys. That's not hindsight...that's disappointment. Believe me when I say I really hope our picks turn out very good. We'll need them to replace some existent players in order to stay contenders. I'm just not sold on Newhook and although I liked the Helleson pick I believe there were better choices available at the time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Glad to see he survived the mumps unscathed! :nod:

That is awfully impressive though for a +2 kid. Curious to see if it is that high quality of a team and how big his role is in it. WJC should give some insight there.

Reactions: S E P H

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
How long did he last in that game without a goal? What were his stats in that last game?

Game is still going on, 14 minutes played and streak is still alive.

Glad to see he survived the mumps unscathed! :nod:

That is awfully impressive though for a +2 kid. Curious to see if it is that high quality of a team and how big his role is in it. WJC should give some insight there.

Kärpät is great team but it isn't dominating its opponents. Annunen has been truly good and he was one of the biggest reasons (if not the biggest) Kärpät won against KooKoo for example (game that I saw).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad