Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The Soderblom train keeps rolling... Goal (GW) and Assist in a 3-1 Win

Now 6th in the League in scoring with 22 points
I’m very ignorant about how European leagues are set up but from my understanding this is in the Swedish League version of the AHL, right?

Any comparables of recent alumni now in the NHL. I have no frame of reference to how hyped I should be

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’m very ignorant about how European leagues are set up but from my understanding this is in the Swedish League version of the AHL, right?

No it's a U20 league. so more of comparable for Canadian juniors.

There seems to be one NHL-reached player per year at Top5 scoring.

2010-11 Top5 scorer - William Karlsson (VGK), 54 points in 38 games.
2011-12 Top5 scorer - Mattias Janmark (DAL), 61 points in 40 games.
2012-13 Top5 scorer - Andreas Johnsson (TOR), 54 points in 42 games.
2013-14 Top5 scorer - Viktor Olofsson (BUF), 53 points in 44 games.

So I give you ~20% chance for Söderblom to reach NHL, if he reaches Top5 in scoring.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Any comparables of recent alumni now in the NHL. I have no frame of reference to how hyped I should be
Allsvenskan is the men's league one tier below the SHL. J20 is probably closer to Junior A. Maybe a bit better. It's the highest level of exclusively junior-level hockey they have in Sweden.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Anyone here watching Mastrosimone's games at all?
I was surprised to read in The Athletic that he considered skating a weakness. That was something I hadn't gleaned from scouting reports.
Not crazy about the idea of a 5'10 kid with skating issues. So, if you can talk me down, please do :)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I was surprised to read in The Athletic that he considered skating a weakness. That was something I hadn't gleaned from scouting reports.
Not crazy about the idea of a 5'10 kid with skating issues. So, if you can talk me down, please do :)
You can watch BU games online on their website, he looks good, but not as good as Larkin

Christien

May 1, 2010
If I remember correctly, Yzerman (or Draper) said that his skating will improve as he adds more leg strength. I’m pretty sure they said that in one of the post-draft interviews. I’ve heard that he’s been working on it though, too. He seems like a determined kid, hopefully he can improve on it. He’s got plenty of time.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014

Skating isn't a weakness compared to most of his peers, its just at 5 10'/5 11' people want your skating to be elite and he's trying to get it from good to elite, so his attitude is if it's not elite than its a weakness.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Skating isn't a weakness compared to most of his peers, its just at 5 10'/5 11' people want your skating to be elite and he's trying to get it from good to elite, so his attitude is if it's not elite than its a weakness.

It's interesting. He didn't stand out to me in the 3 on 3s before he got hurt. At least not as much as Phillips and Johansson did. So maybe that's why.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I wouldnt read too much into what a player thinks his weaknesses are. He may just want to become the most elite skater possible and is really working towards that goal when in reality hes already a solid skater. I've only see him once, his skating didnt stand out to me either way but I have read that his top speed is only a bit above average. While his acceleration and quickness is already really good.

Sounds like hes a ridiculously hard worker, I wouldnt worry about his skating for another year or two, hes got a lot of training time in college to work on it

Reactions: hkydave04

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wouldnt read too much into what a player thinks his weaknesses are. He may just want to become the most elite skater possible and is really working towards that goal when in reality hes already a solid skater. I've only see him once, his skating didnt stand out to me either way but I have read that his top speed is only a bit above average. While his acceleration and quickness is already really good.

Sounds like hes a ridiculously hard worker, I wouldnt worry about his skating for another year or two, hes got a lot of training time in college to work on it

I remember Tatar at 19 wasn't a very good skater when he got called up. And he improved enough.
But I'm not sure it's so easy for guys to work hard and improve their skating all that much. It was just surprising to read that about Mastro.
You draft a 5'10 kid in round 2, you naturally think he can skate like the wind. This is definitely information I'm tucking away to watch for as he develops.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
I remember Tatar at 19 wasn't a very good skater when he got called up. And he improved enough.
But I'm not sure it's so easy for guys to work hard and improve their skating all that much. It was just surprising to read that about Mastro.
You draft a 5'10 kid in round 2, you naturally think he can skate like the wind. This is definitely information I'm tucking away to watch for as he develops.

Don't read too much into it like newfy said. Rather have kids that are continually trying to improve than kids who already think they made it. (and there are plenty of them)
Getting to pucks, agility, stops, starts, Mastro's skating is elite, stylistically OK but not super pretty, gives perception skating not elite. Let him keep on thinking it needs improvement.........

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
I know he basically plays on like a super team in the AJHL lol, but Carter Gylander was stellar last night again 33 saves in a 7-1 win

now 12-0... 2.14 GAA... .923 SV... 1 SO

remember he heads to Colgate next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->