Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree with the fact that he was better than Howard, but the organization looked at Howie as their guy. Mrazek wouldn't have been traded if that wasn't the case.

With Howard being 35 years old now, it's inevitable that a replacement will need to take over soon. Unless Yzerman says we're addressing our future goaltending by FA, this is the time for our young goaltenders to show their worth.

Mrazek was moved because he couldn't find any real level of consistency, was looking to be overpaid for how he was playing, and was a bit of a hassle off the ice to boot. If any of those things had been different, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Wings had kept Mrazek and kept giving him chances, but the guy was a horrible combination of those three things while he was here.

He looks to have finally found himself in Carolina, though. Which is good to see.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Johansson and Grewe once again playing with the big clubs today.

I wonder if Berggren has an injury, he didn't play in the last game and is not playing today.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree with the fact that he was better than Howard, but the organization looked at Howie as their guy. Mrazek wouldn't have been traded if that wasn't the case.

With Howard being 35 years old now, it's inevitable that a replacement will need to take over soon. Unless Yzerman says we're addressing our future goaltending by FA, this is the time for our young goaltenders to show their worth.

I honestly have no idea where you are coming from with this. The organization tried to trade Howard because they thought Mrazek had permanently won the crease going forward. Howard only reclaimed the crease when Mrazek's play (and attitude) went to shit. Mrazek had wanted out of the organization long before he was ultimately traded. Him finally being moved had nothing to do with Howard.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

In all honesty, the situation was very simple. If Mrazek's play post 2016 had matched his play 2013 to early 2016, Jimmy Howard would now be playing for the Islanders, Sabres or Flames. Ultimately they gave him the reigns but his mentally went south when he was under the pressure of being out-performed by his back-up

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Mrazek was moved because he couldn't find any real level of consistency, was looking to be overpaid for how he was playing, and was a bit of a hassle off the ice to boot. If any of those things had been different, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Wings had kept Mrazek and kept giving him chances, but the guy was a horrible combination of those three things while he was here.

He looks to have finally found himself in Carolina, though. Which is good to see.

After that god awful year, Mrazek found consistency when he played.
He struggled as a backup.
But when he played often, he played pretty well.

In the run up to the trade, I'm guessing Holland asked Blashill to play him and showcase him. Even the awful 7-goal game against the Islanders, his stats were solid in that stretch.
To Mrazek's credit, he seemed to calm down and learn share the crease with McIlhenny.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
After that god awful year, Mrazek found consistency when he played.
He struggled as a backup.
But when he played often, he played pretty well.

In the run up to the trade, I'm guessing Holland asked Blashill to play him and showcase him. Even the awful 7-goal game against the Islanders, his stats were solid in that stretch.
To Mrazek's credit, he seemed to calm down and learn share the crease with McIlhenny.

Not sure how much I buy that. Looking at his splits from 16/17 to 18/19 and it didn't seem to matter how many games he played in a month. He'd be hot and cold regardless. As you said, though, credit to Mrazek for finding himself the second half of last season and carrying that over to this season. Guy is entertaining to watch when he's on his game.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not sure how much I buy that. Looking at his splits from 16/17 to 18/19 and it didn't seem to matter how many games he played in a month. He'd be hot and cold regardless. As you said, though, credit to Mrazek for finding himself the second half of last season and carrying that over to this season. Guy is entertaining to watch when he's on his game.

well hockeyreference's gamelog scripts aren't working right...
But from Jan. 14 to Feb. 18 it looks like Mrazek started 9 games out of 16 games.
After starting just 10 games in the first 3 months and two weeks.
In those 9 games he went 5-2-2, giving up more than 3 goals only once (7 goal game vs NYI). Giving up 1 or 0 goals five times.

I'm glad Mrazek's found a good spot. Playing for this team might have destroyed him.
But truthfully, I suspect he'd have turned around here with confidence.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Lots of our prospects playing hockey tonight, but BU (Mastrosimone and Phillips) play at 7:30 EDT. They're also playing tomorrow too.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Phillips and Mastrosimone playing together again... Kotkansalo in the lineup too

Petruzzelli starting in Goal tonight for Quinnipiac in their game

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Kivenmäki is back on the wing today, hopefully he can start to produce some offense... So far only 1 assist in 11 games but Ässät as a team has only scored about 1.5 goals per game.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Another Stellar Performance from Brattstrom... 23 Saves in a 2-1 Win

His year so far... 9-1 1.98 GAA .924 SV

Too bad he is already 22 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad