Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - To Infinity and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Wooooooo! Let's get this all star game over with and begin the gauntlet.

Things are about to tighten up and as predicted, this team is going to choke out in spectacular fashion.

We're primed and ready if anybody has been paying attention. The underlying numbers don't lie. You simply can't rely on a PP and goaltending to get ya through a season.

Not to nit-pick but a good PP and goaltending is precisely what will carry a team through the season.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
You will learn son.

We're not better then the average NHL team.

Guess we'll see. Only one of us will revel in it though apparently...

87% chance of making the playoffs based on 1000 simulations according to hockey reference.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Even if all of the Benning supporters wave their pom poms about this season, it doesn't detract from the fact we're f***ed going forward. Our cap is in shambles and doesn't yet even include any bonuses going forward. Who cares if the Canucks are mediocre and make the playoffs. I want sustained success and not turn into Minnesota who makes it every so often but can't get past the first round.

Regardless if the moves Jimbo did are good (i.e., Miller), it was at the wrong time and I still believe it is until we go forward 1-2 years and see how our cap and team regression looks like.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Even if all of the Benning supporters wave their pom poms about this season, it doesn't detract from the fact we're ****ed going forward. Our cap is in shambles and doesn't yet even include any bonuses going forward. Who cares if the Canucks are mediocre and make the playoffs. I want sustained success and not turn into Minnesota who makes it every so often but can't get past the first round.

Regardless if the moves Jimbo did are good (i.e., Miller), it was at the wrong time and I still believe it is until we go forward 1-2 years and see how our cap and team regression looks like.

Wanting to make the playoffs this year doesn't automatically make you a Benning supporter. We have to burn off the JT Miller pick anyway. If we miss, we will likely be out of the top 10, after which there is a drop-off anyway. I'm still waiting for a compelling argument that drafting 15th and possibly giving up a lottery pick to Tampa next year is better than burning off that pick this year and having our pick in 2021. Yes, there are extreme outliers where teams move way up, but if you understand statistics, you understand how unusual that is.

At least with a playoff appearance, QH and EP will get some important games. I think this is more positive for a franchise than drafting 15th this year and not having the 2021 pick lottery protected. Maybe it preserves JB's job, although arguably the EP and QH drafts, combined with the JT Miller and Pearson trades, have already done that.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Wanting to make the playoffs this year doesn't automatically make you a Benning supporter. We have to burn off the JT Miller pick anyway. If we miss, we will likely be out of the top 10, after which there is a drop-off anyway. I'm still waiting for a compelling argument that drafting 15th and possibly giving up a lottery pick to Tampa next year is better than burning off that pick this year and having our pick in 2021. Yes, there are extreme outliers where teams move way up, but if you understand statistics, you understand how unusual that is.

At least with a playoff appearance, QH and EP will get some important games. I think this is more positive for a franchise than drafting 15th this year and not having the 2021 pick lottery protected. Maybe it preserves JB's job, although arguably the EP and QH drafts, combined with the JT Miller and Pearson trades, have already done that.
This is how I am this year. Pro tanker for many years but with the more exciting team this year and the need to get this TBL pick over and done with has me on the pro playoffs side this year. Sorry friends, we’ll get rid of Benning eventually

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe if it keeps happening. Hasn’t happened in the last 4 years of missing the playoffs

What is more likely to result in his firing? 5 years of misses or 4 years of misses followed by making it?

5 years of straight misses forces (hopefully) Aquilini to make a change. 4 years of misses and then making it, might give the impression that things are turning around and that he deserves more time.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
What is more likely to result in his firing? 5 years of misses or 4 years of misses followed by making it?

5 years of straight misses forces (hopefully) Aquilini to make a change. 4 years of misses and then making it, might give the impression that things are turning around and that he deserves more time.
You’re right. But apart from this upcoming summer the damage is already done. We’re cap strapped with our two best players on ELCs and no relief in sight. We have over 4m in the AHL and could easily have over 15m down there. We’ve watched this shitshow for years and the owner still hasn’t done anything other than make the news for all the wrong reasons. At this point all we have to cheer about is maybe making the playoffs and not giving TBL a good pick.

Reactions: Weylspin

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You’re right. But apart from this upcoming summer the damage is already done. We’re cap strapped with our two best players on ELCs and no relief in sight. We have over 4m in the AHL and could easily have over 15m down there. We’ve watched this ****show for years and the owner still hasn’t done anything other than make the news for all the wrong reasons. At this point all we have to cheer about is maybe making the playoffs and not giving TBL a good pick.

I'm kind of torn because the 2020 draft is being hyped up as a fairly deep draft. (I'm not the biggest draft buff so I couldn't really tell you if that's true or not.)

So if it plays out like another historically deep draft, such as the 03 draft, where great players were found even towards the end of the 1st, I'd rather make the pick this year and take our chances next.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'm kind of torn because the 2020 draft is being hyped up as a fairly deep draft. (I'm not the biggest draft buff so I couldn't really tell you if that's true or not.)

So if it plays out like another historically deep draft, such as the 03 draft, where great players were found even towards the end of the 1st, I'd rather make the pick this year and take our chances next.
You also get a full year of development if the pick is kept this year. I’d just rather get it over with and give up a 16-20 guaranteed compared to an unknown next year where we are forced to give it up even if it’s 1st overall.

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad