Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Is this the year? Have we finally made the right changes? Can we overcome the bubble and land ourselves a spot in the post season? These my friends are the questions.

The team currently sits at 4-2 and are in the midst of a 4 game winning streak. All this despite our top forwards looking to fully rediscover their games. Makes me wonder if we still have another gear. Even last year we were competing for playoff spots at random times of the year only to be ravaged by injuries. Those same injuries could happen again this year but it appears we are far better prepared for it. Only time will tell.

So lets have an optimism thread we can call our own. Perhaps we can leave the critical aspects of the team for the tank thread. Let your fanboi/gurl optimism flow. You think Miller can get 80 points this year? Sure! Why not. Who am I to say you are wrong. You think Benning had a terrific off season? I agree. Easily the best of his time here. Things are looking up. The sky is clearing. And all I see is the PLAYOFFS BABY!!!

I hope this is ok because I will quote a Mod message from the tank thread. I think it fair to apply the same reasoning here. If this is a no no in some way please just remove it. Or request that I do and I will.

Just replace all the words that say tank or tanking with playoff(s).

This thread is reserved for those in favour of tanking. If your intent is to come in here and poke fun at them or otherwise troll them, it’s not going to end well.

The reason this thread exists is so those in favour of tanking have a place to do so without hijacking GDTs from those who wish to cheer for the Canucks to win.

If you’re not in favour of tanking, ignore this thread. Full stop.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Still think it all comes down to injuries. If they stay healthier than the teams in the race, they'll get in.

The team has size, skill, depth, quality checkers and goaltending. All the elements you need to make the playoffs.

Reactions: settinguptheplay

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
They need to avoid a long losing streak. Last year they went 1-10-2 in November which basically killed their playoff chances; the 69 games outside that losing streak they went 34-26-9. They would have finished with 92 points if they had the same winning percentage during that losing streak as they did during the other 69 games. Injuries obviously played a big factor.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
They need to avoid a long losing streak. Last year they went 1-10-2 in November which basically killed their playoff chances; the 69 games outside that losing streak they went 34-26-9. They would have finished with 92 points if they had the same winning percentage during that losing streak as they did during the other 69 games. Injuries obviously played a big factor.

It feels like we have had a similar losing streak every year. Avoid that and playoffs become a reality. Just watch for that prolonged eastern road swing sometime after Christmas. Those can be season killers. I will have to check the schedule again.

As to the injuries. With Baertschi and Goldy in the AHL and Eriksson riding the bench I think we can sustain some forward damage. On paper a much deeper forward core. The defense will be the big one. Not just the health but the quality of callup. Hopefully at least one of Rafferty, Juolevi, Brisbois or Teves will be ready for spot minutes. Fantenberg and Sautner looking like the 7~8.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
This team looks mentally tougher than last years team. Last year’s team would have capitulated after the 3 goals from STL. Our depth is better too, if we have to call up a player from the AHL, we have players who can play in the nhl with Gaudette, Baertschi, Juolevi and Goldobin. A massive upgrade on Megna, Chaput or whatever ahl hopeful we had. Benn and Myers have been solid additions

Last edited:
Reactions: VancouverJagger

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like our changes over pretty much every other team in the West... Edm and Ana are getting huge boosts from their coaching changes.... and that should them pretty good for awhile... depth issues should catch up to them before ours does.

But here's how it looked a month prior to the preseason... probably a few updates required...
Already seeing the pros cons of some changes manifesting itself in their early season records...

Canucks 81 pts
Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary
IN: Quinn, JT Miller, Benn, Myers, Fantenberg, Ferland
OUT: Pouliot, Granlund, Spooner, Schenn, Hutton

Flames 107 pts
IN: Talbot, Davidson, Lucic
OUT: Smith, Hathaway, Neal

Sharks 101 pts
IN: Prout, Brodzinski, Marleau
OUT: Braun, Donskoi, Pavelski, Nyqvist

Knights 93 pts
IN: Pirri
OUT: Haula, Miller, Carpenter, Bellemare

Coyotes 86 pts
IN: Kessel, Soderberg
OUT: Connauton, Panik, Galchenyuk

Ducks 80 pts
IN: Eakins, Deslauriers
OUT: Carlyle, Perry

Oilers 79 pts
IN: Kenny H, Tippet, Granlund, Jurco, Archibald
OUT: Chirieli, McLellan, Sekera, Petrovic

Kings 71 pts
IN: McLellan, Frk, Hutton
OUT: Willie D, Phaneuf,
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blues - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
IN:
Kyrou, Borgman, Falk
OUT: Schmaltz , Maroon, Edmunsson

Avs
IN
: Kadri, Burakovsky, Donskoi, Bellemare, Makar, Connauton, Francouz
OUT: Barrie, Kerfoot, Varlamov, Soderberg, Bourque, Brassard, Nemeth, Andrighetto

Stars
In:
Pavelski, Perry, Sekera
Out: Zuccarello, Spezza, Ritchie, Nichushkin, Pitlick, Lovejoy

Hawks
IN:
Lehner, De Haan, Maata, Shaw, Smith, Carpenter
OUT: Anisimov, Hayden, Forsling, Jokiharju, Forsberg, Davidson, Johnson, Kahun, Kruger, Kunitz, Ward, Martinsen

Wild 83 pts
IN: Zuccarello, Hartman, Donato
OUT: Bitetto, Amburg, Fehr, Hammond

Preds 100 pts
IN: Duchene, Carr, Santini, Fabbro
OUT: PK Subban, Simmonds, Boyle

Jets
IN
: Pionk
OUT: Trouba, Myers, Chariot, Tanev, Lemieux

Spur1

Sep 12, 2019
I may have found a new home here as I think JB has done a fantastic job rebuilding and there’s no doubt in my mind that the Canucks will make the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
it comes down to injuries for just about every single team in this entire league.

For the middle 10 teams for sure. I see the Canucks in that middle tier of teams. 90 or so points, depending on health - with an
ability to hit 95 if they get a little luck with injuries.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Still think it all comes down to injuries. If they stay healthier than the teams in the race, they'll get in.

The team has size, skill, depth, quality checkers and goaltending. All the elements you need to make the playoffs.
Agreed. If we can stay at the league average as far as injuries go, there’s no reason to think we’re not a playoff team. I know it’s only been six games but this is a very much improved team from last year.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Agreed. If we can stay at the league average as far as injuries go, there’s no reason to think we’re not a playoff team. I know it’s only been six games but this is a very much improved team from last year.

I am thinking that having some size in the top 6 has had tremendous benefits. St. Louis is a big team but I never felt we were being bullied. Myers playing like a big man has helped as well from the back end. Add Tryamkin later on and we might very well be the team doing the bullying for once. Come to think of it it may very well be the mobility the Dcore has shown this year that is driving early success. Hughes being the main catalyst. Less time trying to put out fires in the defensive end the better! Really excited about the potential however it plays out.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Dallas' awful start is good news for the push.

I'd say locks are Vegas, Nashville, Colorado, St. Louis and probably Calgary.
That leaves 3 or 4 spots to Vancouver, San Jose, Winnipeg, Arizona, Anaheim, Edmonton and Dallas

Last edited:
Reactions: ErrantShepherd

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Dallas' awful start is good news for the push.

I'd say locks are Vegas, Nashville, Colorado, St. Louis and probably Calgary.
That leaves 4 or 5 spots to Vancouver, San Jose, Winnipeg, Arizona, Anaheim, Edmonton and Dallas

Well if you think those 4-5 are locks then I guess there are 3-4 spots.

Personally I think this is a year they get back in, likely early playoff exit, but an exciting team going forward.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Utica being stacked also bodes well for our playoff aspirations. We should have some viable call ups when the inevitable injuries hit.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
At least this year if a forward goes down we have a legitimate NHL'er to replace them with.............not something we've had in the last several years. Not sure if that's the case on our defence but at least it looks like we actually have what resembles a capable NHL defence.......also not something we have had recently.

Reactions: Canucko

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
It’s early, but the start is promising. I’m still concerned with our defensive depth. The forward group has pushed players like Baer, Goldy and Eriksson down the depth chart, whereas on defence we’ve upgraded the top 6 by replacement. A couple of injuries puts us in a difficult spot.

Last edited:

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
At least this year if a forward goes down we have a legitimate NHL'er to replace them with.............not something we've had in the last several years. Not sure if that's the case on our defence but at least it looks like we actually have what resembles a capable NHL defence.......also not something we have had recently.

My thoughts too. The good news is our new additions would minimize the impact if a Tanev or Edler got hurt. It would still be a tall task to overcome.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm all for it. I want that emotion back. feel it when I watch Canada play but I just haven't cared about wins when it comes to the canucks and it sucks.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
The good news is that we are in the playoffs.

The not so good news is we are only 10% of the way into the season.

That Ranger's game was intense but the boys pulled it off. Well deserved 2 points. Team is working hard but does not seem to be firing on all cylinders. Markstrom and Demko have been giving us playoff level goaltending though. Lets keep rolling! Winners of 5 of our last 6!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad