2019/20 Pro-Tank Thread - Part II (Mod note in Post #154)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
St. Louis is legit. Can see how they won the cup. Insane forecheck and pressure, very fast team with good transitions...

Don't want to face them in the playoffs, yikes. Pretty much got dominated at will during the third there

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The implications of missing the playoffs is that Pettersson and Hughes aren't elite enough to carry Benning's turds

I want them to be elite and they are elite therefore I'm out
Interesting thought, but just how realistic is it to expect any 2 players to carry a team - even elite ones?

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Man im so torn. Coming into the season i felt we really needed to miss the playoffs and get another shot at a lottery win; or at least be near the 10th pick. Pushing the 1st we lose to next year is a win-win imo:
A. 1 less developmental year for whoever we draft
B. forces us to either make the playoffs next year or, if we dont, hopefully finally put the nail in Benning's coffin

I look at our prospect pool (and lineup) and don't see how we're ready to go all-in on turning the corner:
On the roster: Solid U25 core + Virtanen & Gaudette showing promise.

Forward Pool: Okay i guess. I'd give Podz an A- & Hog a B- to be a top 9 guy w/i 3 years. Everyone else is a long shot.

Defense Pool: Good grief. We have literally 1 dman on the roster who we can safely project to still be impactful in 3 years. One. Then a pool with a bunch of B/C skill & C likeliness of making the team (by old hf standards). Lots of potential diamonds in the rough but no one that id bank on. How can you look at our current & prospective Dmen and think "yah we're ready to go all-in and turn the corner"?'
Rafferty is a great example, so many ppl saying ditch stetcher we got Rafferty to fill in! Yet we've been burned by older dmen racking up points in the AHL multiple times?! (Gragnani, Connaughton, Clendening)

So we barely have enough push from below to keep us as a playoff bubble team. My issue is when a guy like Trouba for ex becomes available. We can't even make a legit offer because we have no surplus anywhere! The teams that are good & stay good usually have a pool brimming with prospects when they turn the corner and manage to keep it stocked.

I will admit though with how the team is playing its impossible for me to cheer for them to lose. I'm just gonna let it play out and try to enjoy the ride. For me, the goal is to be a cup contender though, not another Minnesota that's never good or bad enough and just prays they get that 3-5th round elite player to turn their tide.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
RpRvBHN.gif

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Interesting thought, but just how realistic is it to expect any 2 players to carry a team - even elite ones?
If they can carry this team to the playoffs, it’s going to be amazing what they’ll be able to do when the team is a bit better.

You guys are getting ‘wanting to make the playoffs’ confused for ‘we are Stanley cup contenders’ far too often.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Man im so torn. Coming into the season i felt we really needed to miss the playoffs and get another shot at a lottery win; or at least be near the 10th pick. Pushing the 1st we lose to next year is a win-win imo:
B. forces us to either make the playoffs next year or, if we dont, hopefully finally put the nail in Benning's coffin

I look at our prospect pool (and lineup) and don't see how we're ready to go all-in on turning the corner:

Forward Pool: Okay i guess. I'd give Podz an A- & Hog a B- to be a top 9 guy w/i 3 years. Everyone else is a long shot.

Defense Pool: Good grief. We have literally 1 dman on the roster who we can safely project to still be impactful in 3 years. One. Then a pool with a bunch of B/C skill & C likeliness of making the team (by old hf standards). Lots of potential diamonds in the rough but no one that id bank on. How can you look at our current & prospective Dmen and think "yah we're ready to go all-in and turn the corner"?'
Rafferty is a great example, so many ppl saying ditch stetcher we got Rafferty to fill in! Yet we've been burned by older dmen racking up points in the AHL multiple times?! (Gragnani, Connaughton, Clendening)

So we barely have enough push from below to keep us as a playoff bubble team. My issue is when a guy like Trouba for ex becomes available. We can't even make a legit offer because we have no surplus anywhere! The teams that are good & stay good usually have a pool brimming with prospects when they turn the corner and manage to keep it stocked.

I will admit though with how the team is playing its impossible for me to cheer for them to lose. I'm just gonna let it play out and try to enjoy the ride. Would be an absolute nightmare though if we make the playoffs this year and draft ~20, then don't make it next year and give up a potential lottery pick. For me, the goal is to be a cup contender though, not another Minnesota that's never good or bad enough and just prays they get that 3-5th round elite player to turn their tide.
If Vancouver makes the playoffs this year tampa bay gets the 2020 pick

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

They have been doing it this entire season and we are #1 in our division

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005

I will admit though with how the team is playing its impossible for me to cheer for them to lose. I'm just gonna let it play out and try to enjoy the ride. Would be an absolute nightmare though if we make the playoffs this year and draft ~20, then don't make it next year and give up a potential lottery pick. For me, the goal is to be a cup contender though, not another Minnesota that's never good or bad enough and just prays they get that 3-5th round elite player to turn their tide.
If the Canucks make the playoffs this year, they give up their 2020 1st, so this scenario isn’t possible. If we hold on to a spot and then miss next year, we’ll get to keep that lottery pick.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think this is just another management thread now. Is anyone (aside from the fire Benning at any cost crowd) actually pushing for us to barely miss and draft out of the top 10 and give up an unprotected pick next year? They have 60 points with 32 games to go. Even if they go well below NHL .500, they will still pick up 25 points and end up drafting in the teens, well past the talent drop-off. We can stop dreaming of Lafreniere, we all know that if anything, we'd drop a spot or two.

IMO, we might as well burn off that pick to Tampa and see if the team regresses next year. I still think we need to draft some blue chip pieces to round out the team, I just think this isn't our season to do it. It'll be good to get some playoff games for EP and QH anyway, so it's not a totally lost year for the rebuild.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
If the Canucks make the playoffs this year, they give up their 2020 1st, so this scenario isn’t possible. If we hold on to a spot and then miss next year, we’ll get to keep that lottery pick.

If Vancouver makes the playoffs this year tampa bay gets the 2020 pick

I know, thats why i said i wanted us to miss this year so we defer the lost pick to next year and keep this years pick.

Would give us an extra development year and put Benning on a major hot seat for next season.

Obviously the odds of it happening now are diminishing quickly.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I know, thats why i said i wanted us to miss this year so we defer the lost pick to next year and keep this years pick.

Would give us an extra development year and put Benning on a major hot seat for next season.

Benning could get fired over a poor playoff performance too... Think about this ownership group.

Wishing for bad things to happen to the team so that Benning doesn't have any 'wins' is counter-productive. If he won every trade and hit a homerun on every pick then we'd want to keep him around. The bias here is feeding itself and now it's a personal vendetta against the man, rather than a measured critique of him as a GM.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019

The way you wrote it made it seem like you thought the Canucks keep their pick this year if they make the playoffs, whether intentional or not.

“Would be an absolute nightmare though if we make the playoffs this year and draft ~20, then don't make it next year and give up a potential lottery pick”

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Markstrom's greatness seems to have rubbed off on Demko and together they have saved Green's job and obliterated the tank.

As well, no matter how many minutes Green decides to give Beagle, he knows that one of his two keepers will bail him out.

Bitter-sweet.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018

I agree with most of your points but if we make it this year Tampa gets the pick. They don’t get to choose which year. What’s interesting about this year is if we win the division unless we face Vegas, we could very well make it to the conference finals. We would have a chance to beat any team in the pacific in a best of 7. If we face any team in the central I think it’s curtains.

Reactions: CanuckCity

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
The way you wrote it made it seem like you thought the Canucks keep their pick this year if they make the playoffs, whether intentional or not.

“Would be an absolute nightmare though if we make the playoffs this year and draft ~20, then don't make it next year and give up a potential lottery pick”

ah my mistake, good catch

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
I agree with most of your points but if we make it this year Tampa gets the pick. They don’t get to choose which year. What’s interesting about this year is if we win the division unless we face Vegas, we could very well make it to the conference finals. We would have a chance to beat any team in the pacific in a best of 7. If we face any team in the central I think it’s curtains.

yah i got myself mixed up there, good catch. But yah looking at how the west might play out, if we can avoid a WC central team we have a good shot at winning a round at the very least. Vegas is definitely the wild card, will be interesting to see what they do at the deadline.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The implications of missing the playoffs is that Pettersson and Hughes aren't elite enough to carry Benning's turds

I want them to be elite and they are elite therefore I'm out

Strange rationale. Curious how you think this applies to Edmonton?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The title of this thread as I’ve maintained has to be changed to the fire benning thread; the moment that happens I’m of this as I’ve said. The team will be better off with someone who knows what their doing

The fire Benning thread is already called the management thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->