Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 Opening Night Roster

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
"you gave up 6 goals to the Caps Crow, right now it is everyone's net" ....this is what Herb Brooks would be saying to Crow right now to piss him off/motivate him....

In the soccer movie A Shot at Glory, Robert Duvall plays the coach and the goalie lets a goal in through his legs.

Goalie: “Sorry coach, I should have closed my legs.”

Coach: “Your mother should have closed hers.”

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Don't see how it's not Crow starting. Not like Lehner vastly out performed him in pre-season.

Lehner saved 65 of 70 shots (a .929 save percentage), while Crawford saved 59 of 66 (.894). And excluding the Berlin game, for which advanced stats were not available, Lehner saved 15 of 17 high-danger shots (.882) while Crawford saved just 7 of 11 (.636).
That is a tiny sample size, sure, but those results are not altogether contrasting to last year’s full-season numbers, when Lehner posted a .930 save percentage and Crawford a .908 (of course, there’s a caveat for that too, considering the two defenses they played behind).

Robin Lehner better in preseason, but Corey Crawford likely to start Blackhawks’ season opener

They’ll both play and get their chance to take the net but Lehner is hot right now.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am not seeing any disrespect to Crow if Lehner starts, Crow has missed the better parts of the past 2 seasons, not like he has been standing on his head for 60 plus games each of the last 2 years and we bring in Lehner as a f*** you..Crow hasn't earned the net right now, it should go to best guy period..this also should prepare Crow for the role he likely will have as an at best 60-40 split one way or another..both of these dudes will play this year.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Crow had one bad game vs. the Caps (-OV) that ruined his stats.

Lehner played the Wings, and then the Bruins AHL team.

True. For this game, it probably should be Crow given his tenure. When they get back, I hope one of them outplays the other and takes the reins early and doesn’t let go.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I just can't put any stock in a 2 game sample of preseason games. I give it to Crow out of respect to start and it's basically a 50/50 split until someone shows they do or don't deserve more time.

I thought CC starting would be an automatic, TBH.... and I still think that.

CC starts game 1 and if his performance is good he plays game 2 as well. Lehner gets the start in game 3 and go from there .... now if CC falters in game 1 then Lehner gets game 2, if he's good he gets game 3 ... etc. If I were JC that's what I 'd do to begin this season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I am not seeing any disrespect to Crow if Lehner starts, Crow has missed the better parts of the past 2 seasons, not like he has been standing on his head for 60 plus games each of the last 2 years and we bring in Lehner as a **** you..Crow hasn't earned the net right now, it should go to best guy period..this also should prepare Crow for the role he likely will have as an at best 60-40 split one way or another..both of these dudes will play this year.
I don't think anyone disagrees that it should go to the best guy period, over the season. But there is really no reason not to give the first game to Crow.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think anyone disagrees that it should go to the best guy period, over the season. But there is really no reason not to give the first game to Crow.
I mean if you feel Lehner has played better and you want to win every game you can over a season, yeah - plenty of reasons not to play Crow right away. I am not against the dude playing, but sorry I disagree with the whole respect thing discussed above..this team has gotten into the mess it has because it has been TOO RESPECTFUL with our guys and contracts we handed out. we need to win now and have that mentality, every game matters the most especially in the Central..I personally feel they will start Crow, but I also personally feel that it should be Lehner starting game 1 to set a tone here...mediocrity is no longer accepted, everyone's ass is on the line.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean if you feel Lehner has played better and you want to win every game you can over a season, yeah - plenty of reasons not to play Crow right away. I am not against the dude playing, but sorry I disagree with the whole respect thing discussed above..this team has gotten into the mess it has because it has been TOO RESPECTFUL with our guys and contracts we handed out. we need to win now and have that mentality, every game matters the most especially in the Central..I personally feel they will start Crow, but I also personally feel that it should be Lehner starting game 1 to set a tone here...mediocrity is no longer accepted, everyone's ass is on the line.
Plenty of reasons not to start Crow? I see none.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Eh, I don't see any reason not to start Crow game 1. If he sucks, you go to Lehner game 2, and see where it goes.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Crow makes 6
yeah...and the guy they signed I doubt was brought in to back up..Crow might not even be here next year so I am pretty confident this will be Lehner's job to lose because his role is more than this season. I already said I think they go with Crow to start, but if Lehner has played the best, looks the best and seems to be the guy the Hawks want longer term...no reason to play loyalties when every win counts IF Lehner is your guy..

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Start Crawford tomorrow and next Thursday for the home open and then give Lehner the game next Saturday against WPG and go from there imo

Reactions: jls24

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
yeah...and the guy they signed I doubt was brought in to back up..Crow might not even be here next year so I am pretty confident this will be Lehner's job to lose because his role is more than this season. I already said I think they go with Crow to start, but if Lehner has played the best, looks the best and seems to be the guy the Hawks want longer term...no reason to play loyalties when every win counts IF Lehner is your guy..
And I agreed with that. But I don't see any reason not to start Crow in the first game.
He's healthy.
Looked good in pre-season outside of 1 game
Has been the better goalie throughout his career
Is longer tenured than Lehner

Plenty of reasons to start Crow in the first game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And I agreed with that. But I don't see any reason not to start Crow in the first game.
He's healthy.
Looked good in pre-season outside of 1 game
Has been the better goalie throughout his career
Is longer tenured than Lehner

Plenty of reasons to start Crow in the first game.
I wasn't wording that there are no reasons to start Crow, but like I said we don't know what JC and Bowman's thoughts/plans truly are. If Lehner is the guy they want long term and are happy to keep Crow in a reduced role, at some point you have to pull the band aide off and let Lehner be the guy..this is a MUST season for the Hawks IMO..there cannot be another non playoff season..loyalties are one thing, and yes Crow has been ok, IMO he doesn't really look like his old self, but getting torched by the Caps did him no favors...I wan't to see a crease battle here it can only help both of them.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
he's on that line for a reason to start the year...he looked good with them
You mean: He looked good with them... at times.

I don't wish to be cynical before the first game but let's face it, it's difficult for a skilled player not to look good (at times) playing with K/T. What Nylander needs to be is consistent, with and without possession, and no matter who his linemates are.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Crow/Lehner debate is silly. If Crow had a better camp/preseason, he starts. If Lehner had a better camp/preseason, he starts. Crow should not be the defacto #1 under any circumstances. He's been unreliable for two seasons now. He's not the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad