Waived: 2019-20 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Feels like every team is waiting for the last minute to dump their waivers on the wire, in the hopes that a deluge will hide players.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Feels like every team is waiting for the last minute to dump their waivers on the wire, in the hopes that a deluge will hide players.

Which I never understand. If anyone really thinks players can be hidden, when it's public knowledge, and written down, there are no secrets. At most, I would buy that teams waive guys as late as possible, when every other GM has their own team pretty much set. A last minute injury might do something, but for the most part, if you can play, you're probably not on waivers anyway.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Haven't seen any indication on any claims from yesterday or anyone besides the Leafs players going onto waivers.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Which I never understand. If anyone really thinks players can be hidden, when it's public knowledge, and written down, there are no secrets. At most, I would buy that teams waive guys as late as possible, when every other GM has their own team pretty much set. A last minute injury might do something, but for the most part, if you can play, you're probably not on waivers anyway.

the idea is teams have just made hard decisions to pare down to a roster and decided to keep certain guys up and are going to hesitate to revisit those decisions. there may even be cap reasons that make it hard just before the cap sets.

but then again there is also an argument you can sneak guys down by waiving early while other teams are still evaluating.

so who knows.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
the idea is teams have just made hard decisions to pare down to a roster and decided to keep certain guys up and are going to hesitate to revisit those decisions. there may even be cap reasons that make it hard just before the cap sets.

but then again there is also an argument you can sneak guys down by waiving early while other teams are still evaluating.

so who knows.

I have never figured this one out. Think of it from a bottom-feeder view: You know there will be some guys waived from the best teams you certainly would have kept if they were with you. Guys on the way up, and already better than some of those you have. So if I was Ottawa, I would have planned to have one or two roster spots reserved for new players all the way through preseason camp.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Ottawa is a particularly strange and bad case though because the one thing about waivers and not lowpick / future considerations / minor leaguers trades is that waiver claims cost actual cash out of pocket. There may be no team in the league more inclined to go for the low-value-asset-trade route than the wait-for-waiver-and-spend-only-cash route than the team with the most cash strapped owner.

If Ottawa wanted, say, Aberg, they’d have negotiated a seventh round pick trade for him ahead of waiver announce, rather than have the team most concerned with cash send money to the team with the least actual cash concern.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Ottawa is a particularly strange and bad case though because the one thing about waivers and not lowpick / future considerations / minor leaguers trades is that waiver claims cost actual cash out of pocket. There may be no team in the league more inclined to go for the low-value-asset-trade route than the wait-for-waiver-and-spend-only-cash route than the team with the most cash strapped owner.

If Ottawa wanted, say, Aberg, they’d have negotiated a seventh round pick trade for him ahead of waiver announce, rather than have the team most concerned with cash send money to the team with the least actual cash concern.

You could essentially sell a 7th (by trading away salary or something at the tdl) for more in a trade than you could the what is it 15-20k for Aberg's transfer fee? Not sure if he's a 5th or 6th year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad