Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Lavoie leaving before even playing in his first game. Team confirms he is not in lineup tonight, and media reports he is leaving.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Odd timing to say the least.

I see the team is not commenting on circumstances yet, but he apparently triggered his out-clause

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Former Oilers and Finns are taking over the KHL

upload_2020-9-19_5-11-21.png

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No from the article it sounds like it was their decision.
I see that now, don't know if they updated it or if I just missed it.

Edit: i'm pretty sure they updated the info, I could not have missed the entire last paragraph :laugh: and misinterpreted that he was the one possibly triggering it

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Rumours appear to be that Lavoie's conditioning was poor and that resulted in him being cut. Didn't this guy have some red flags even before his draft?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Rumours appear to be that Lavoie's conditioning was poor and that resulted in him being cut. Didn't this guy have some red flags even before his draft?

I do remember his coach did gave to challenge him at one point, but he did rise to it.

His skating is also an issue.

If he can’t find another team, I hope he takes this as a wake up call (if the rumours are true).

Last edited:

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I think the pandemic wrecked havoc on a lot of athletes this year. Whole teams just lost interest in competing. Some players fell out of shape.

I think so too. But I also think it will show who is truly motivated and disciplined enough to make the jump to the NHL.

Prospects probably fell into one of two categories during COVID; those who saw it as a chance to focus on their physical conditioning and those who saw it as an extended vacation.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think so too. But I also think it will show who is truly motivated and disciplined enough to make the jump to the NHL.

Prospects probably fell into one of two categories during COVID; those who saw it as a chance to focus on their physical conditioning and those who saw it as an extended vacation.

Ultimately athletes are still people, some of which have been hit harder by this pandemic and the fallout than others. For athletes without home gyms I would think that it would've been hard to maximize their training.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Ultimately athletes are still people, some of which have been hit harder by this pandemic and the fallout than others. For athletes without home gyms I would think that it would've been hard to maximize their training.

Oh I agree, I am just saying in general. A lot of positive characteristics can show themselves during this time (self-motivation, initiative etc.) but I also won't fault someone for not succeeding during these times.

That said, there seems to be a pattern of "laziness" in Lavoie, going beyond COVID, from what I've read.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh I agree, I am just saying in general. A lot of positive characteristics can show themselves during this time (self-motivation, initiative etc.) but I also won't fault someone for not succeeding during these times.

That said, there seems to be a pattern of "laziness" in Lavoie, going beyond COVID, from what I've read.
He was a mid first talent with apparently a bad work ethic. So he didn't interview the best and fell to the second.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Yeah, pretty much. I don't know if you follow baseball, but the Blue Jays have a young player named Vladimir Guerrero Jr., he's supposed to be the next big thing. Problem is, he weighs like 280 lbs, which held him back last season from really playing well. In the offseason (before COVID), he worked out hard and lost like 40+ lbs., looked really slim. Then the pandemic hit and he was in quarantine and literally gained all the weight back, lol.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Philip Kemp is an interesting one. Button ranked him as our 6th best prospect and I'd agree that he's underrated. He's a 6'3 defenseman that put up 11 pts in 32 games this year as a 21 year old. For comparison, Marino had 11 pts in 33 games the year before as a 22 year old.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In other news, Filip Berglund had no points and his team lost their first SHL game this season (Rogle - Linkoping 6 - 4).

Linkoping (Berglund) is one of the lower tier teams in the SHL this season and they were up against Rogle (team which cut Lavoie) which is one the top tier teams.

That said, Berglund logged 24:57 in TOI (8:17 PP TOI / 1:22 SH TOI), even thought Linkoping played 7 Ds. That is the highest minutes out of all players on-ice (both teams). He was -1 on the night, but it was one of those -1's which are a bit unfair imo because it was like 1 second after coming out of the penalty kill. He was on-ice for 1 PP goal, no points on it though. Considering his TOI and PP TOI I think it is pretty clear he is the #1 on Linkoping this year. I think this is a good outcome of his move, because I am not sure he would be getting these kind of minutes (EV/PP) in Skelleftea.

edit: I did not mean to say Linkoping is a bottom feeder or anything, they are pretty ok. But they have some issues with goal-tending and are too reliant on some forwards to do all the scoring. They can still have some success this season, but they are definitely a step behind Rogle which is projected to be a top SHL team this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad