Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I heard another report saying he was good but he was too often making blind passes

Im kind of glad that he’s using his draft +1 season in Sweden to push his abilities and limits like that. Great place for him to learn from mistakes and see what he’s capable of. Better than being super timid like Puljujarvi and Paajarvi were. Star players take risks and usually lead the league in giveaways because they also make things happen.

Reactions: The Oiler

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
NCAA update for this weekend:

Rasanen: 1g
Kesselring: 1g
Cairns: 1a

No points for Kemp, Brind'Amour or McPhee.

Kesselring's goal was the first point of his NCAA career.

NCAA season totals so far:
Rasanen: 10 points in 11 games
Brind'Amour: 5 points in 11 games
McPhee: 4 points in 11 games
Kemp: 2 points in 6 games
Kesselring: 1 point in 12 games
Cairns: 1 point in 5 games

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Rasanen back to looking like a guy who could have an NHL future. I have no idea what happened with Boston College last year, outside of basically two guys nobody could find the net.

Reactions: KYams17

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
1. Do Oilers still have Filip Berglund's rights given he hasn't signed with them yet and he's 22 years old?

2. Has anyone seen Berglund play in Sweden, and does he appear to have an NHL future at all?

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
1. Do Oilers still have Filip Berglund's rights given he hasn't signed with them yet and he's 22 years old?

2. Has anyone seen Berglund play in Sweden, and does he appear to have an NHL future at all?
They have them until the end of the year, and I don’t think he’s shown enough to be signed, that Third round in 16 is looking rough.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Just noticed that Matthew Boldy only has one point (a goal) in 11 games for Boston in the NCAA. Not a great start for him. Cole Caufield in contrast, has 9 goals, 6 assists and 15 points in 12 games. We wouldn't have been too happy so far if we took Boldy.

Reactions: Aerchon

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Just noticed that Matthew Boldy only has one point (a goal) in 11 games for Boston in the NCAA. Not a great start for him. Cole Caufield in contrast, has 9 goals, 6 assists and 15 points in 12 games. We wouldn't have been too happy so far if we took Boldy.

I was really pushing for Boldy too lol (if Zegras was off the board)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was really pushing for Boldy too lol (if Zegras was off the board)

Zegras was, and still is, the better player. I was pretty pissed we didn't take Zegras, and I still am. He is scoring over 1 PPG in Boston so far this year. Tied for 3rd on his team in scoring. How we pass on that to pick a guy who was off the board (taken at least 5-7 spots higher than where most had him going), played in a position of organizational strength (rather than an area of weakness, like a scoring forward), and won't help the team for at least 3-4 years at minimum, is simply beyond me. It was a terrible pick last June, and it's a terrible pick today. This is only further reinforced by how the two players are playing in their respective leagues so far.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Zegras was, and still is, the better player. I was pretty pissed we didn't take Zegras, and I still am. He is scoring over 1 PPG in Boston so far this year. Tied for 3rd on his team in scoring. How we pass on that to pick a guy who was off the board (taken at least 5-7 spots higher than where most had him going), played in a position of organizational strength (rather than an area of weakness, like a scoring forward), and won't help the team for at least 3-4 years at minimum, is simply beyond me. It was a terrible pick last June, and it's a terrible pick today. This is only further reinforced by how the two players are playing in their respective leagues so far.

I agree with you 100%, but now that the pick has been made I fully support Broberg and wish him the best. It would take JP levels of immaturity and entitlement for me to turn my back on one of our picks.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Zegras was a no brainer and I think he will end up top 5 best player in the draft but at this point I'm starting to accept that there's probably a reason. He probably didn't want to be drafted by the Oilers or any Canadian teams. Even if it's not true. It's easier to move on this way

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

You and Aerchon called Broberg a bust the day he was drafted. Hate to say, both of your opinions on the player are completely invalid.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Interesting on Boldy.. I noticed Newhook at the start of the year was right there with him struggling to produce. Since then Newhook has stepped up and Boldy continues to struggle.

Same thing with Wahlstrom last year at BC.

Reactions: KYams17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
From what I've read, Boldy is kind of getting the short end of the stick as far as PP time goes.

He's been playing a more defensive role with McPhee.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
From what I've read, Boldy is kind of getting the short end of the stick as far as PP time goes.

He's been playing a more defensive role with McPhee.
Hasn’t anyone noticed that lots of these prospects out of the USDP aren’t looking like superstars people imagined them to be after they got drafted?.... or is it just me

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hasn’t anyone noticed that lots of these prospects out of the USDP aren’t looking like superstars people imagined them to be after they got drafted?.... or is it just me

Are you talking about last year's class? They're probably having the best D+1 year for any USNTDP class ever.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Broberg is playing very well in the SHL this year.

Reactions: LaGu and North

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Everyone from last years team is doing fine except for Boldy I think, and Boldy has been playing center from what I've heard despite not really having played it since before he joined the USNTDP. Zegras, Caufield, Turcotte and Knight are all doing great. York seems to be doing well too. Hughes is obviously having a bit of a tough time but he's the first guy ever to go straight from the USNTDP to the NHL and for a guy his size it's not a huge surprise that he's struggling a bit.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With BC not playing until Tuesday for some reason, it was a quiet NCAA weekend.

Kesselring picked up an assist on Friday. Everyone else was pointless in two games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad