Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It looks like Blumel's game will be streamed in 10 minutes so I get to watch my boy for the first time. Looking forward to it.

And yes, big fan of Samorukov. They really need a guy like him who excels defensively and plays with some piss and vinegar, I think there's a little untapped offensive potential there too.

I do enjoy you calling him my boy. He deserves more love as a prospect,

He’s playing really well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I could see this being the lineup out of camp. Depends on how many GP Bouchard gets though of course. I wouldn't want to be breaking in a 3rd pairing that was entirely comprised of rookies. I'm assuming Bouchard gets some GP in this year though, and that combined with his existing cups of coffee in the NHL, should mean that he isn't a raw rookie next year.
Barrie's eyes were WIDE open yesterday watching McDavid do his thing. I have a feeling he may see staying in Edmonton as a good career move. The Oilers could have a massive log jam on the back end soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Dylan Holloway's game yesterday was postponed a couple of days. He and Wisconsin are now set to play today and tomorrow. Savoie will also play tomorrow night.

Broberg will likely be playing as well today, for better or for worse.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Holloway got an assist on a cross-ice pass:

Holloway and Savoie play today in the NCAA, as well as Matej Blumel in the Czech league, Dmitri Samorukov in the KHL, and Ty Tullio in the Slovakian league.

Tullio will be facing off against projected top-5 2021 draft pick Brandt Clarke. Should be a good one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The bit about Samorukov is very encouraging to hear. He sounds like the ideal match for someone like Bouchard.

After this season, I'd like to see something like...
Nurse/Bear
Jones/Larsson
Samorukov/Bouchard
Koekkoek

Larsson is kind of a placeholder as I don't know how the Larsson/Barrie contracts shake out.

It's a very impressive collection of middle pair and bottom pair D-men. Personally I would be pretty damn upset if that's the D group next year. Holland needs to go get a real #1D. Right now he's still cleaning up Chiarelli's mess but 2021-22 it would be a huge waste of Connor/Leon's prime years to run Nurse-Bear as a top pair.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
It's a very impressive collection of middle pair and bottom pair D-men. Personally I would be pretty damn upset if that's the D group next year. Holland needs to go get a real #1D. Right now he's still cleaning up Chiarelli's mess but 2021-22 it would be a huge waste of Connor/Leon's prime years to run Nurse-Bear as a top pair.

I don't disagree. I'm not really sure what's out there this off-season in terms of top pairing D, but we're in a good position in terms of cap space to go shopping for one.
  • Chiasson, Khaira, Barrie, Larsson, and Nuge(?) come off the books.
  • Our buyout spending reduces down to 1.5m from 3.83m.
  • Kris Russell's cap comes down to 1.25m from 4m.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't disagree. I'm not really sure what's out there this off-season in terms of top pairing D, but we're in a good position in terms of cap space to go shopping for one.
Dougie Hamilton

Reactions: Llamamoto

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's the only option this offseason. If we strike out, we have to keep the powder dry and save for Seth Jones and Parayko the offseason after.

Fixing the defense during the McDavid & Draisaitl window is going to hinge on the Oilers making the biggest UFA acquisition in their history. :help:

You're forgetting Slater Koekkoek.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Well they can certainly afford to throw money at Hamilton if he makes it to market.

But failing that they need to make a big trade. Sell the farm if you have to.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's the only option this offseason. If we strike out, we have to keep the powder dry and save for Seth Jones and Parayko the offseason after.

Fixing the defense during the McDavid & Draisaitl window is going to hinge on the Oilers making the biggest UFA acquisition in their history. :help:

So totally not a problem then right?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I still wish Broberg would rest but it is what it is.

If this grows to become some nagging injury throughout his career because he chose not to rest I'll be pretty over him as a prospect.

Sounds harsh. But if he grows to become one of our top 3 D you don't want such a crucial piece of the D consistently missing chunks of games every season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If this grows to become some nagging injury throughout his career because he chose not to rest I'll be pretty over him as a prospect.

Sounds harsh. But if he grows to become one of our top 3 D you don't want such a crucial piece of the D consistently missing chunks of games every season.

For sure but I have to believe they wouldn’t let him play if they thought it was severe or could get severe.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For sure but I have to believe they wouldn’t let him play if they thought it was severe or could get severe.

This will likely be his last season with the SEL club, so do they really care about his long term health? I hate to think that way, but far too often we have seen players rushed back from injury at literally every professional level of play.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
This will likely be his last season with the SEL club, so do they really care about his long term health? I hate to think that way, but far too often we have seen players rushed back from injury at literally every professional level of play.

I’m hoping they do but I don’t really know. I don’t think it’s a bridge you burn in case the player could potentially come play for you in case of a stoppage or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My updated prospect rankings:
  1. Evan Bouchard
  2. Philip Broberg
  3. Dylan Holloway
  4. Dmitri Samorukov
  5. Carter Savoie
  6. Ty Tullio