2019-20 Oilers Head Coach (if Hitchcock doesn't extend)

Who would you like to see?

• Total voters

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As we know, Hitchcock is signed as interim and his contract is only until the end of this season.

If he gets the Oilers into the playoffs, he very much likely signs an extension (I haven't heard anything one way or the other) for 2 or 3 seasons. As he is in his late 60's, I can't see either side going more than two seasons. If they don't make it in, he can opt out and walk away and/or the Oilers can choose not to renew him. Then the search is on for their 5th head coach since 2013-14 and Connor's third at the NHL level. His future with the Oilers may be in jeopardy anyways if/when the Oilers turf PC and hire someone else who may want his own hire.

Personally, if the interest is mutual between Hitch and the Oilers he may get extended if they just miss the playoffs and I hope he stays on and signs an extension myself.

If he doesn't stay as their HC whether it's his choice or the Oilers, who would you like to see take over for the 19-20 season? You can vote for as many of the options in the poll and I of course added an "other" option if there is someone you think would be a good fit I didn't name.

I added Habscheid in there because he has been a very successful coach at the WHL level just about everywhere he has coached and has a ton of coaching experience coaching young players. He was named an associate coach of the Bruins back in '06 and was re-assigned after one season there (Chiarelli hired and fired him and the HC after one season), but seeing what kind of a juggernaut he has going with the PA Raiders this season, I wonder if he gets some looks from NHL clubs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We'll set up an online parliamentary system with all the users of HF oil and vote on all team matters.

nay me as Gm--I will set up my office on khaosan road and invite the GMS to visit me and spend the night hitting a few bars before making a deal

th

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Go with someone young. A young up-and-coming coach that knows today's game. Kris Knoblauch if available. I don't like any of the options of the poll coaches listed. Oilers most likely miss the playoffs. I think Hitch only comes back if Babcock type money is thrown at him. Making the playoffs this year. I don't think factors into Hitch's decision of returning.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Of that list I like Quenneville and Keefe the best. It's also possible that we hire a GM that has an inside connection with that coach, like Norm MacIver (Chicago Assistant GM) is on many short lists for open GM positions and Mark Hunter has worked with Keefe in Toronto.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Go with someone young. A young up-and-coming coach that knows today's game. Kris Knoblauch if available. I don't like any of the options of the poll coaches listed. Oilers most likely miss the playoffs. I think Hitch only comes back if Babcock type money is thrown at him. Making the playoffs this year. I don't think factors into Hitch's decision of returning.

I like hitch, but I agree here.

This league needs an injection of new blood behind the benches. As long as we don't send MacT out looking for another eakins, I think we'd do well with a fresh coach who's proven himself capable at other levels.

The game is evolving, and the old boys club that runs the league needs to evolve or get left behind.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I was drawing a blank on names and didn't want to make it to lengthy as well, but I don't know much about Knoblauch aside from being Philly's asst. coach and he was Mcdavid's junior coach.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I like hitch, but I agree here.

This league needs an injection of new blood behind the benches. As long as we don't send MacT out looking for another eakins, I think we'd do well with a fresh coach who's proven himself capable at other levels.

The game is evolving, and the old boys club that runs the league needs to evolve or get left behind.

If not Hitch, I'll gladly and happily take the next Jon Cooper.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Q won't come so I won't even vote there. It really depends on who the GM is this offseason, but I'll vote Hitch for 1 year.

I also think Dave Tippet is a legit option (even though he's old school)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Like Dallas Eakins

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm really intrigued by Rikard Gronborg as an out of the box name. He's had lots of success internationally and was getting some NHL interest last year allegedly.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Like Dallas Eakins

As long as Mact isn't in charge, that won't happen again. He said himself that Eakins and he shared a lot in common as far as hockey ideals and seemed to be on the same page which is why he needed to hire him as HC and not assistant.

Assuming a new competent gm is hired, Id have much more faith in a new NHL coach.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
I'm really intrigued by Rikard Gronborg as an out of the box name. He's had lots of success internationally and was getting some NHL interest last year allegedly.

That got me thinking about Jussi Ahokas, not sure how he would do in the NHL with 82 games a season but he's a serial winner and he seems to be a good English speaker.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That got me thinking about Jussi Ahokas, not sure how he would do in the NHL with 82 games a season but he's a serial winner and he seems to be a good English speaker.
The only thing with Ahokas is he's only done it at the junior level so far. It's a different animal with professionals, which is why I'd favor Gronborg.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
One of the biggest decisions in franchise history will be who they choose to replace Chia as GM. Hitchcock is great in the meantime, I wouldn't mind him taking the team again next season while the new GM gets time to build his staff. It's very unclear at the moment though, these key decisions will be crucial. Either finding a youngish budding coach with an edge for today's game or going with a respected veteran like Hitchcock or Quenneville would be okay for me. Whoever it is must work with the new GM's vision for the team going forward.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
The only thing with Ahokas is he's only done it at the junior level so far. It's a different animal with professionals, which is why I'd favor Gronborg.

Yeah I would agree with you on that point for sure. Might be an interesting name for the future as he's still quite young.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Last time I wanted someone young and fresh we got Eakins, then I wanted experienced and we got Koala. I don’t think my opinion should count for anything on this matter.

Hope we get a new GM and he brings in someone good if Hitch re-retires.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
someone that understands line matching, uses timeouts, isn't scared to call out the refs, doesn't play swarm defense, doesn't employ 1-3-1 as primary offensive strategy

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Q is the obvious pick but coaches like Cooper, Laviolette, Deboer or Boudreau could be available depending on how their teams do in the post season (or miss the playoffs in Boudreau's case)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad