2019-20 New Goalie Equipment/Mask Sightings

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
It's almost as if DaveArt puts on the masks what the goalie requests or something.

Part of being an artist and a professional mask painter is advising the client what will and will not look good. DaveArt fails on a lot of occasions.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Part of being an artist and a professional mask painter is advising the client what will and will not look good. DaveArt fails on a lot of occasions.
Also part of being a professional painter is following the instructions of your commissioner. If they instructions are too much or in too poor taste for you, you can refer them to another artist or decline entirely. It'd be different if the person came to you and said "what would you do to make this look good?"

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

It's a mask that will be put on a shelf in a year so he can paint them a new one, not a tattoo.

There's a reason why he's almost got a monopoly on goalie masks. Goalies like what he does.

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
Hot damn, that Lehner set. Amazing use of colors. The Brian designs can look a little bit busy and motocross-ish at times, but it looks good in this case.

Reactions: yzerman

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lot of good point here and I just wanted to add: Why would any kid want to become a goalie in the first place, if not for the ability to put whatever they want on their mask?
The only issue I have with DaveArt's stuff is that you see all the other great artists that also do goalie masks and you look at what Dave does and it's definitely a unique style, I am not sure if goalies think this is a rite of passage since so many get work done from him and figure oh this is what I should do as well...

It's like all the people that wear brands because someone else does, regardless of its the right one for them for fit and style, but because it's a fad/trend that they want to be a part of.

I have always liked goalie mask designers that try something different - DA does the exact thing over and over with overly glossy looks and busy as hell designs and his descriptions are just god awful.

There are plenty of other goalie mask designers that have done fantastic work, it's just too bad people think DaveArt doing your mask means you're in elite company of NHL regulars.

These guys do fantastic work:
Diel Airbrush
Goalie Masken - Airxess GmbH

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Michael DiPietro

68314274_3137365669614897_8751292226933358592_o.jpg

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The only issue I have with DaveArt's stuff is that you see all the other great artists that also do goalie masks and you look at what Dave does and it's definitely a unique style, I am not sure if goalies think this is a rite of passage since so many get work done from him and figure oh this is what I should do as well...

It's like all the people that wear brands because someone else does, regardless of its the right one for them for fit and style, but because it's a fad/trend that they want to be a part of.

I have always liked goalie mask designers that try something different - DA does the exact thing over and over with overly glossy looks and busy as hell designs and his descriptions are just god awful.

There are plenty of other goalie mask designers that have done fantastic work, it's just too bad people think DaveArt doing your mask means you're in elite company of NHL regulars.

These guys do fantastic work:
Diel Airbrush
Goalie Masken - Airxess GmbH

Maybe they like his work?

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
My mask will be a tribute to him, it'll just be a giant lens flare.

You're a huge fan of his, you'll love it.
I'm not a huge fan of his. I just understand that hockey players may not have great taste in their choice of mask decoration and DA is more than happy from his posts to do whatever they want it seems. I did like the Maple Leafs one that got posted with the eagle though, so he's more than capable of having designs that aren't too busy, but he's very keen on doing what they want.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Part of being a businessman is giving clients the product they like/demand too
I do t like his masks, but he’s doing something that a lot of goalies like

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Also part of being a professional painter is following the instructions of your commissioner. If they instructions are too much or in too poor taste for you, you can refer them to another artist or decline entirely. It'd be different if the person came to you and said "what would you do to make this look good?"

How do you know they don’t just ask “make it look pretty?”. I don’t design masks but I’m a professional designer and I’d put money that most goalies have no idea what they want simply because many people, especially non-creatives, have a very hard time articulating what it is they want. They have a couple of themes in mind, some sentimental and/or personal things they want but in the end, they pay for the designer to do what they/we do.

DaveArt and his work isn’t like painting a house. Folks go to him knowing damn well what he does. This is his aesthetic and while he’s an exceptional artist, is critical folk will conclude he’s just not a good “designer”. This is often the case for traditional artists if they’ve never done web/print/graphic design....Heavy hand, lack of white space balance, overly ornate, etc.

Hiller’s guy is clutch af though. He should be making everyone’s mask.

Reactions: Sauce12

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Part of being a businessman is giving clients the product they like/demand too
I do t like his masks, but he’s doing something that a lot of goalies like

it’s possible goalies don’t like his stuff at all, they just know he’s the “top” guy. Iirc, he also had a deal with Bauer or RBK back in the day which led to a flood of clients. I could be wrong though. But the guy markets himself well. All that bs FX crap that is meaningless has a lot of meaning to 20 year old millionaires.

anyway, just like in film, bad directors get top movies. They call it falling up in the industry. DaveArt possibly fell all the way up.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
As much as I routinely despise DaveArt masks, most of the ones I seen so far this year have allowed me to keep my food down. Some I actually like.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of his. I just understand that hockey players may not have great taste in their choice of mask decoration and DA is more than happy from his posts to do whatever they want it seems. I did like the Maple Leafs one that got posted with the eagle though, so he's more than capable of having designs that aren't too busy, but he's very keen on doing what they want.
And just how you are allowed to like it, I am allowed to talk about how I think it's absolute garbage.

It's kind of how this all works. There's a lot of fashion out there that is also open to interpretation. Same same, but different, but still the same, mate.

Reactions: biturbo19

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that all the goalies who have deals with Bauer and have Bauer masks pretty much are forced to have DaveArt because he's Bauer's guy and it's part of the deal?

It does seem like he only came onto the scene once Bauer had bought out Itech and started making these masks, and that all the non-DaveArt masks I've seen posted in this thread over the years have been non-Bauer ones as well.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad