2019-20 New Goalie Equipment/Mask Sightings

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Without the football helmets this would be a 8/10 helmet imo.
It still has too many logos on it. it looks like a bunch of stickers slapped on. I like the ghosted sides minus the circle crests tacked on. If it only had one logo on the chin then cleaner lines up through the crown it would be really nice. It's like he has really good design but then doesn't know when to stop. Just because you can doesn't mean you should type of thing.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
You would lose that bet. I worked on a segment on goalie masks in the NHL a few years back, and I assure you, the vast majority of goaltenders are very specific about what they want on their masks.

The worst thing he can do is give the client that hired him what they requested? You have a lot to learn about how things work. They are not simply hiring a designer, they are hiring someone to put the things they want on their goalie mask. What people here continue to misunderstand is that goaltenders are having a piece of their equipment painted to help reflect their personality and, in many cases, include things they consider to be good luck. They do not care if it "looks good on television." They do not care if "looks good from far away." They do not care if it's "good design." They simply want something that has all the elements that they want and they want something that *they* think looks cool. Period.

That would be a stupid bet. If it was a lot simpler, it wouldn't have all the things that the goaltenders had requested. If there was someone out there that was doing a better job than Dave was of giving the goaltenders what they wanted then that person would be getting all the work that Dave is getting. The reason Dave is does 85 percent of the goalie masks in the NHL is because he's wildly successful because his clients love his work and go back to him time and time again.

These clients are not having a logo designed for the purposes of selling a business or an advertisement or a website. These are personal designs that are designed, primarily, for *one person* to enjoy. The clients for Dave couldn't care less if if the result is cluttered. They couldn't care less if multiple type faces are used. They couldn't care less about negative space. They couldn't care less about the flow of the elements that are used. They couldn't care less about the color wheel. They couldn't care less about good taste or good design. They simply want a mask that reflects the very things and theme that they asked for because the mask is for them.

People continue to not understand this and heap scorn on Dave for doing what his clients ask for and are endlessly suggesting how he should change what he's doing despite his runaway success and growing dominance in the market. Get a clue.
Nailed it. If anything, these artists are much closer to being like tattoo parlors than graphic designers. And, like tattoos, they can be done in any style, tell any story, and they can be done masterfully or garishly. But it's the artist's job to make the clients demands come true without compromising the client's expectations. It's a very personal piece of gear.

A maybe more apt comparison would be like these airbrushed with 'murcan Eagle and howling wolves motorcycle fuel tank. Because neither of the target audience have an ounce of good taste it seems like!

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Merzlikins in his gear

2080778544_ScreenShot2019-08-01at17_32_00.png.f4ded487915de4a6c2277ed821e62fe3.png

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You would lose that bet. I worked on a segment on goalie masks in the NHL a few years back, and I assure you, the vast majority of goaltenders are very specific about what they want on their masks.

The worst thing he can do is give the client that hired him what they requested? You have a lot to learn about how things work. They are not simply hiring a designer, they are hiring someone to put the things they want on their goalie mask. What people here continue to misunderstand is that goaltenders are having a piece of their equipment painted to help reflect their personality and, in many cases, include things they consider to be good luck. They do not care if it "looks good on television." They do not care if "looks good from far away." They do not care if it's "good design." They simply want something that has all the elements that they want and they want something that *they* think looks cool. Period.

That would be a stupid bet. If it was a lot simpler, it wouldn't have all the things that the goaltenders had requested. If there was someone out there that was doing a better job than Dave was of giving the goaltenders what they wanted then that person would be getting all the work that Dave is getting. The reason Dave is does 85 percent of the goalie masks in the NHL is because he's wildly successful because his clients love his work and go back to him time and time again.

These clients are not having a logo designed for the purposes of selling a business or an advertisement or a website. These are personal designs that are designed, primarily, for *one person* to enjoy. The clients for Dave couldn't care less if if the result is cluttered. They couldn't care less if multiple type faces are used. They couldn't care less about negative space. They couldn't care less about the flow of the elements that are used. They couldn't care less about the color wheel. They couldn't care less about good taste or good design. They simply want a mask that reflects the very things and theme that they asked for because the mask is for them.

People continue to not understand this and heap scorn on Dave for doing what his clients ask for and are endlessly suggesting how he should change what he's doing despite his runaway success and growing dominance in the market. Get a clue.
Lot of good point here and I just wanted to add: Why would any kid want to become a goalie in the first place, if not for the ability to put whatever they want on their mask?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
is that Jeff Hackett? with NOB with "R" in it I guess it will be another goalie..

great mask anyway

It's Brian Hayward. Hackett never wore a goalie mask as a member of the sharks. He always had one of those Cooper helmet/cage combos.

Reactions: ytoil

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
It's Brian Hayward. Hackett never wore a goalie mask as a member of the sharks. He always had one of those Cooper helmet/cage combos.

My memory failed me but so did the internet. That's what came up in a Jeff Hacket search. o_O

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
The thing that bothers me is it looks like the football helmets are an afterthought just plopped on top of other stuff.
It feels like he has a conversation with a goalie and is like tell me some different ideas you have for a mask, then proceeds to shove every thought that person had into one design. Or maybe he just charges like a cab driver and the longer he holds down the airbrush trigger the bigger the fair gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad