2019-20 New Goalie Equipment/Mask Sightings

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
My guess would they probably run for about $1K per.

Pricing — HEADSTRONGGRAFX LLC.

Tops starts at 1.4k, now with DaveArt it can go either way. He either charges a premium because for whatever reason modern goalies decided to lose any semblance of taste and made this guy a premium provider, or he gives goalies a discount in exchange for exposure that comes with a prominent goalie.
I don't see NHL goalies hurting for money so I'm willing to bet Dave charges at least 2k for a mask job.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pricing — HEADSTRONGGRAFX LLC.

Tops starts at 1.4k, now with DaveArt it can go either way. He either charges a premium because for whatever reason modern goalies decided to lose any semblance of taste and made this guy a premium provider, or he gives goalies a discount in exchange for exposure that comes with a prominent goalie.
I don't see NHL goalies hurting for money so I'm willing to bet Dave charges at least 2k for a mask job.
Thank you.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
It's almost as if DaveArt puts on the masks what the goalie requests or something.
I would bet a lot don't really care and give him "creative license"
If they do tell him what they want, it's his job as a designer to advise them to edit down, he seems like a "Yes man" which is the worst thing you can be in design.
I bet if they gave the same creative idea to a better mask designer than DaveArt, the design would be a lot more simpler.

As a Graphic Designer myself, these masks are the epitome of a client asking for way too much in the design, I am constantly advising my clients to edit down and make it simpler. Sometimes I lose that battle and at the end of the day they are the paying client, and their design ends up looking like a cluttered mess. Those are the pieces that do NOT go in my portfolio.
Every piece in DaveArt's portfolio collection is a cluttered mess with a few exceptions.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
If they do tell him what they want, it's his job as a designer to advise them to edit down, he seems like a "Yes man" which is the worst thing you can be in design.
I bet if they gave the same creative idea to a better mask designer than DaveArt, the design would be a lot more simpler.

As a Graphic Designer myself, these masks are the epitome of a client asking for way too much in the design, I am constantly advising my clients to edit down and make it simpler. Sometimes I lose that battle and at the end of the day they are the paying client, and their design ends up looking like a cluttered mess. Those are the pieces that do NOT go in my portfolio.
Every piece in DaveArt's portfolio collection is a cluttered mess with a few exceptions.

They get new masks every year so it's not like they're stuck with them for a career and I'm willing to bet that's why he doesn't get them to tone it down. If the client likes it then that's all that matters because they're the one's paying. I doubt he gives a crap about what hockey forum posters say.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You would lose that bet. I worked on a segment on goalie masks in the NHL a few years back, and I assure you, the vast majority of goaltenders are very specific about what they want on their masks.

The worst thing he can do is give the client that hired him what they requested? You have a lot to learn about how things work. They are not simply hiring a designer, they are hiring someone to put the things they want on their goalie mask. What people here continue to misunderstand is that goaltenders are having a piece of their equipment painted to help reflect their personality and, in many cases, include things they consider to be good luck. They do not care if it "looks good on television." They do not care if "looks good from far away." They do not care if it's "good design." They simply want something that has all the elements that they want and they want something that *they* think looks cool. Period.

That would be a stupid bet. If it was a lot simpler, it wouldn't have all the things that the goaltenders had requested. If there was someone out there that was doing a better job than Dave was of giving the goaltenders what they wanted then that person would be getting all the work that Dave is getting. The reason Dave is does 85 percent of the goalie masks in the NHL is because he's wildly successful because his clients love his work and go back to him time and time again.

These clients are not having a logo designed for the purposes of selling a business or an advertisement or a website. These are personal designs that are designed, primarily, for *one person* to enjoy. The clients for Dave couldn't care less if if the result is cluttered. They couldn't care less if multiple type faces are used. They couldn't care less about negative space. They couldn't care less about the flow of the elements that are used. They couldn't care less about the color wheel. They couldn't care less about good taste or good design. They simply want a mask that reflects the very things and theme that they asked for because the mask is for them.

People continue to not understand this and heap scorn on Dave for doing what his clients ask for and are endlessly suggesting how he should change what he's doing despite his runaway success and growing dominance in the market. Get a clue.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Antti Niemi rocking the Ronald McDonald look for Jokerit Helsinki.

67230798_2339688529461261_3126014898975277056_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad