NBA 2019-20 NBA Regular Season Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Is he saying modern players are too soft for MJ? Look at what Jimmy Butler did to the Timberwolves franchise.

Butler is just a Locke room cancer in general. With the T Wolves his issue was he thought Towns/Wiggins didn't have to work as hard as he did because they were top picks.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Are sweats a symptom?

hyhvgo0y3yavuqfuy5gv.jpg

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
As a Celtics fan I really like these stats from CBS Sports. :thumbu:

The 2019-20 Boston Celtics are not only fifth in offense and fourth in defense, according to Cleaning The Glass, they rank second offensively against top-10 defenses and first defensively against top-10 offenses. Translation: They haven't just bullied bad teams; they've beaten up the league's best.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That article covers a lot of what's being discussed right now. Personally, I think leaving the East as is and having a mini play-in tournament for the final West spot makes sense because that's really the only thing still up for grabs. No matter what they do, it's not going to be perfect and someone will probably be pissed.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This year's Basketball HOF Induction ceremony has been postponed until next year.

from espn.com:

Count the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as the latest institution to have its best-laid plans felled by the coronavirus.

Jerry Colangelo, the chairman of the board of the governors for the Hall, told ESPN on Wednesday that enshrinement ceremonies for the Class of 2020, one of the most star-studded lineups ever that includes Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant, will be moved to spring of 2021.

Colangelo said the original dates of enshrinement weekend, Aug. 28-30, and the proposed alternate dates of Oct. 10-12, are "just not feasible" in light of the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 100,000 in the U.S. and has rendered large gatherings taboo. The board of governors will convene on June 10, he said, to explore spring dates.

"We're definitely canceling," Colangelo said. "It's going to have to be the first quarter of next year. We'll meet in a couple of weeks and look at the options of how and when and where."

Full story: Basketball Hall pushing enshrinement to 2021

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So in the West the Suns were the worst team to make it being 6 games back of a playoff spot, with the best team to not make it being the Timberwolves at 12.5 games back.

In the East the worst team to make it was the Wizards at 5.5 games back, with the best team to not make it being the Hornets at 7 games back.

I fully support advancing teams as needed without worrying about even numbers in each Conference (which I think the NHL messed up with including Montreal and Pittsburgh when they easily could have just advanced Pittsburgh to the playoffs without needing a play-in), but that's an interesting cut-off point. West makes perfect sense, but the East? I guess things get messy with teams being so tightly grouped and where you cut things off so they had to make a decision:

Wizards - 5.5 GB
Hornets - 7 GB
Bulls - 8 GB
Knicks - 9.5 GB
Pistons - 10.5 GB
Hawks - 11 GB
Cavaliers - 11 GB

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
EZmOGZXWsAEPwQE

.......... :facepalm:
Jesus, that's so bush-league.

It's always been interesting to me why home-court provides such an advantage in the NBA given they don't actually get any advantages like they do in the other major North American sports. Like based on the numbers, there is such a strong correlation with the home team winning compared to other sports. I think the NBA has the least luck involved in any of the big 4 sports, but that doesn't really explain why almost all teams have such a strong correlation to winning at home vs. on the road.

Outside of the things that apply to all of the sports (crowd support and heckling, in venue atmosphere like pumping up music and noise, home amenities both at the building and in the comfort of their own homes), NHL has last change, advantageous faceoff rules and advantageous shootout rules, NFL has the specific advantage of crowd noise affecting the visiting offense's huddle/audibles/snap count, and the MLB has the advantage of knowing how many runs are required in the 9th or extra innings along with the home team sometimes being able to design strategies to play into some of the unique and nonuniform aspects of certain ballparks (ie. the Green Monster in Boston).

I think distractions with free throws may be the big thing with the NBA. I do think that can be replicated in some way in Orlando if they get creative, even if it feels bush-league as well. Having music on during actual play and possession may be a factor too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
"Remember that time LeBron missed a game tying free throw in Game 7 of the Finals because Adam Silver was standing behind the basket in his Bucks jersey waving a towel and yelling 'BRICK!'?"

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Getting first dibs on the hotels..... as if they all won't be 5 star? Does the 16th worst team have to stay at a Motel 6? :facepalm:

I don't know which part is worse, the hotel thing or the team being able to transport their court to Orlando ......

Reactions: Trap Jesus
Sep 19, 2008
Are all sports run by morons? Just play by the normal rules, don't do stupid specialty rule gimmicks.
even before COVID the NBA was trying to experiment with a mid-season tournament

"just playing the game" doesn't apply to them. they are trying to be progressive and come up with new ideas to make the "game intersting." Despite the NBA having a solid lock on 2nd place behind football...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Getting first dibs on the hotels..... as if they all won't be 5 star? Does the 16th worst team have to stay at a Motel 6? :facepalm:

I don't know which part is worse, the hotel thing or the team being able to transport their court to Orlando ......
Washington Wizards showing up for their Orlando stay like:

Vacation-Car_1200-e1472753974344-1.jpg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm glad the NBA is getting closer to coming back and there was going to be no perfect plan but it's a little disappointing they went with the safer money making option. There are reasons for playing regular season games that make sense such as seeding and getting into game shape but it seems it's primarily about getting the local TV money.

This was a time to try something different and new and there were interesting ideas being discussed like a bigger play-in tournament, world cup style groups, abandoning conferences, etc but we might not see any of that. I thought at the very least a play-in tournament would be a guarantee but we might not even get that if things break a certain way after they play the 8 regular season games.

Also, outside of their own fanbases, who the hell wants to see the Wizards and Suns right now? The Wizards are 16 games below .500 and 5.5 games back of the Magic. The Suns are 13 games below .500, 6 games back of the Grizzlies, and 13th in the conference.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Also, outside of their own fanbases, who the hell wants to see the Wizards and Suns right now? The Wizards are 16 games below .500 and 5.5 games back of the Magic.
Hell I am a wizards "fan" and I don't want to see them in this. The team is terrible contrary to what other homers that post here would have you believe.

Reactions: Cassano and Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad