Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Can`t argue with the numbers but Rakell had 1 point in 16 PO games as a 22 year old, before his breakout. That cuts the big hole in his PO point pace. More recently, in 17-18 he had respectable 13 points in 15 games and when he got injured that year and went out from the Nashville series, things took a big downturn for us. So I don`t think those PO numbers are fully representative of Rakells abilities.

In my opinion, Rak is a support player and he needs good linemates (who doesn`t). Having a bad team will expose any player who isn`t a two way player like Silf or Rico. So I don`t support the Rak hate and would gladly have him back if on a reasonable contract (will have to be bigger than the current one obviously).

The year he had 1 point in 16 he put up 31 in 71, a massive drop in production. And as I said in my previous post the 16-17 year was the only year he’s ever produced but it was riding shotgun to Getzlaf who was the best player in the entire playoffs that season, Getz was an absolute beast who put the team on his back.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hopefully we get to keep Hakanpaa. Guy was really coming into his own and developing well and then this crap happens

Agreed, it was night and day watching him in March compared to the preseason. Maybe it was a matter of adjusting to smaller rinks.

NHL insider has a tidbit written about Djoos and Hakanpaa: link

Manson agreed.

"I thought they were good additions for us," he said. "Hakanpaa, when he came in at the beginning of the year and through camp, by the time he came back when he was called up toward the end of the year, he was a way different player. It looked like he was a lot more comfortable on the ice, and he kept up with the pace. He was a really solid player. He was a big body, he played physical for us. He was a good addition.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The latest 31 Thoughts Podcast features an interview of Gary Lawless, analyst and insider for the Golden Knights. After speaking about his close relationship with McPhee and McCrimmon, Lawless goes into detail about how he was allowed to be in their war room throughout the expansion draft process. When asked by Friedman what he thought was Vegas's biggest swindle, Lawless said the Theodore trade.

Supposedly Carlyle and Eakins had very, very different opinions of Theodore. Carlyle wasn't a fan whereas Eakins thought the world of him. This difference of opinions surely wasn't the deciding factor in making the trade, but there's no doubting it influenced Murray.

How The Red Wings Almost Had Sergei Fedorov And Pavel Bure | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Skip to 1:20 to hear it for yourself.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The latest 31 Thoughts Podcast features an interview of Gary Lawless, analyst and insider for the Golden Knights. After speaking about his close relationship with McPhee and McCrimmon, Lawless goes into detail about how he was allowed to be in their war room throughout the expansion draft process. When asked by Friedman what he thought was Vegas's biggest swindle, Lawless said the Theodore trade.

Supposedly Carlyle and Eakins had very, very different opinions of Theodore. Carlyle wasn't a fan whereas Eakins thought the world of him. This difference of opinions surely wasn't the deciding factor in making the trade, but there's no doubting it influenced Murray.

How The Red Wings Almost Had Sergei Fedorov And Pavel Bure | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

ugh, my heart

Reactions: Duck Off

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Theo was bad in the playoffs in 2016, I wouldn't be surprised if that is where carlyle's opinion emanated from.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hindsight is 20/20. We should have traded Vatanan for a fwd and forced Bieksa to waive his NTC.

I wasn't upset when it happened because I didn't see Theodore becoming what he is.

Reactions: Duck Off

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Theo was bad in the playoffs in 2016, I wouldn't be surprised if that is where carlyle's opinion emanated from.
Hindsight is 20/20. We should have traded Vatanan for a fwd and forced Bieksa to waive his NTC.

I wasn't upset when it happened because I didn't see Theodore becoming what he is.
Himdsight might be 20/20 but it’s beyond absurd to use a 20 game sample of a 21 year old player and say what you see is what you get. It’s a huge mark against Randy and Bob obviously

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
These statements read like madlibs where he just replaces the nouns.

"The (leadership/accountability/attitude) is unacceptable. That was my fault. But that's going to change. The (veterans/kids/leaders) have been getting away with too much. Not anymore. Next year we are going to be (harder to play against/ more competitive/ more accountable)."

Oct 18, 2011

RC even in a perfect world was a short term hire so if giving away Theo was to help make RC happy then that was stupid as hell

Reactions: GermanRocket7
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It “team lacks any sort of discernible talent” one of his quotes. Because if not it should be.

Kind of was! Not surprised it was ignored, but when he talked about improving the PP, he flat out said they're not gonna(right away, at least) have one like Boston, Tampa or Washington because they don't have the horses.

People should just wait for the full transcripts on these things, there's a lot more info and more importantly more context. You'd never read some comments here or especially on reddit and think they referenced the same interview.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kind of was! Not surprised it was ignored, but when he talked about improving the PP, he flat out said they're not gonna(right away, at least) have one like Boston, Tampa or Washington because they don't have the horses.

People should just wait for the full transcripts on these things, there's a lot more info and more importantly more context. You'd never read some comments here or especially on reddit and think they referenced the same interview.

That’s why I asked..

I just read the full transcript written up by Stephens now. The accountability line has become old and tired but at least there was a lot of honesty there even if he was vague as hell about the Rakell conversations.

Reactions: Dmang714
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That’s why I asked..

I just read the full transcript written up by Stephens now. The accountability line has become old and tired but at least there was a lot of honesty there even if he was vague as hell about the Rakell conversations.

I thought the accountability stuff was surprisingly specific, given there isn't a team who has a disappointing season(and many who have successful ones) that won't reference it. Half-assing it because the teams going nowhere is something that happens but it's still unacceptable and needs to be called out.

I'm also not shocked he was vague about Rakell given he was singled out like that. He needs to be better but I think thats a little unfair to ask only about him. Hopefully the gravity of that isn't lost on Ricky.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think that was a good interview. Don't understand the amount of hate it gets here.

What's interesting, is - we are putting more effort into searching for European FA's. Russian RHD Zub, for example, sounds like we were in on him - so it's not like we don't do anything in the KHL.

GermanRocket7

Played silly not to draft Fantilli
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Barstool clearly shows the league has outgrown him by a hefty margin. His end-of-season comments have been the same for numerous years now, and he's incredibly quick to throw the players under the bus while dodging away from any criticism. After all, it was HIS job to offer the coaching staff a somewhat competitive team to work with.

Instead of going dumpster diving in free agency for numerous years and relying on our (honestly very good) amateur and pro scouting department for drafting players that fix glaring holes in our roster somehwere down the line, he should just step back, retire from hockey business, and let someone else take over. It's incredibly frustrating to see him come out of these interviews time and again for more than a decade now without presenting a clear vision and plan. He tries to mimic the latest Stanley Cup winning teams year in and year out, and deals away good players and prospects for underwhelming players because of this lack of consistency. Just take a look at the players he brought in from external places and who we gave up for this.

Players like Palmieri, Vatanen, Theodore, Montour, Karlsson, Gardiner seem to be striving once they are away from Anaheim for a reason: they are used to their fullest potential in other teams, because these teams have a real philosophy of hockey and found themselves a niche, in which they operate. You will not see a Karlsson reaching 40+ goals in Anaheim, because we lack this clear identity as a team. BM needs to finally be released from his job. Let someone else take over who actually has an idea what he wants and doesn't change that idea every so often.

Reactions: Deuce22

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Did he comment on the complete lack of talent at the GM position? Hopefully he's out the door in the very near future.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Players like Palmieri, Vatanen, Theodore, Montour, Karlsson, Gardiner seem to be striving once they are away from Anaheim for a reason: they are used to their fullest potential in other teams, because these teams have a real philosophy of hockey and found themselves a niche, in which they operate.

The only two of the six you mentioned who are actual examples of what you're trying to say are Palmieri and Theodore.

Gardiner never played a single game for the Ducks organization. Weird to say he thrived once getting away from Anaheim when you have no idea how he would have faired here.

Montour certainly has not solidified himself as anything more than he was for the Ducks.

Vats is the same player in a larger role, producing roughly the same results - and he was traded for our current leading scorer. Fair to use that trade as an argument to call for the GMs head? Absolutely not.

Karlsson went to another team and was a 20 point bottom six guy for two years before breaking out. Even Vegas would admit they were surprised by what they ended up with. He definitely was not instantly better once free of Anaheim.

He's a legit top 6 center now but that 43 goal season is probably going to be an outlier, 39 goals in 145 games since then.

The Theodore move was really bad. Bringing back Carlyle was a terrible decision and there have been others - but over 12 years I think most GMs would have piled up a much worse track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->