Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This time last year that row next to the Ducks logo was empty. Would be nice to get some kind of an article or something from Stephens about the role she has supporting the management.

Was it? I could have sworn I saw that we’ve had that position filled for a while.

We could learn a lot from Carolina in not only the analytics side of the game but also the player development side. They’re a small market team who is thriving in terms of their on ice talent (the only issue in Carolina is their goaltending). They seem to be able to pluck good players out of nowhere and their player development ability is top notch.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I just watched insider trading and apparently the Ducks are holding exit interviews with our guys over the phone even though they know there’s an outside chance the season comes back. They think enough of the season is done to make player evaluations.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Can someone summarise what was said there? No access to The Athletic, but that's an interesting topic if something is.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Can someone summarise what was said there? No access to The Athletic, but that's an interesting topic if something is.
Bob talked about wanting to get it done now while the season was still fresh in their minds - what went on this year. As for Rakell, he mentioned only that it was an "outstanding" conversation and it lasted 2.5 hours.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It makes sense, I would have thought it would have taken at least than 2.5 hours for Rakell to explain why he’s been playing with his head up his ass for 90 percent of the past 2 seasons. Guy is the definition of unclutch and is not a big game performer.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It makes sense, I would have thought it would have taken at least than 2.5 hours for Rakell to explain why he’s been playing with his head up his ass for 90 percent of the past 2 seasons. Guy is the definition of unclutch and is not a big game performer.
Ducks haven’t played a big game in over 2 years. That’s not Rakell’a problem, his problem is intensity and driving his own lines offense

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ducks haven’t played a big game in over 2 years. That’s not Rakell’a problem, his problem is intensity and driving his own lines offense

No we haven’t played a big game the last two years but his historic playoff record in the NHL is very bad sans one post season where he produced when Getzlaf went absolute beast mode and he was lucky enough to ride shotgun to Getz.

And while we haven’t played a big game as soon as the season goes off the rails Rakell completely disappears and then shows up again to put together a hot streak once we are all but eliminated. It’s become a pattern for him. I think it’s best for all parties that he moves on and gets to play with some actual talent and we get a return for him while he’s got some term left.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Accepting rakell is a supporting player helps with the perception of him as a player. We hoped he would be more than that, but he isn't.

For what he makes that's fine, and he is still incredibly valuable.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Accepting rakell is a supporting player helps with the perception of him as a player. We hoped he would be more than that, but he isn't.

For what he makes that's fine, and he is still incredibly valuable.

The problem is his next contract wont be that of a supporting player. No way he gets less then 6 mil.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think we can all agree that Rakell pisses everyone off. He’s probably my favorite player(outside of Getz) to watch when on and even I can agree on my first statement.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think we can all agree that Rakell pisses everyone off. He’s probably my favorite player(outside of Getz) to watch when on and even I can agree on my first statement.

He's really one of the few creative ones on the team. I'm surprised people aren't more pissed off at Henrique. Grade A streaker that I'm sick of being invisible on most nights.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hopefully we get to keep Hakanpaa. Guy was really coming into his own and developing well and then this crap happens

Agreed, it was night and day watching him in March compared to the preseason. Maybe it was a matter of adjusting to smaller rinks.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's really one of the few creative ones on the team. I'm surprised people aren't more pissed off at Henrique. Grade A streaker that I'm sick of being invisible on most nights.

Not a huge Henrique fan but I don’t see the same effort issues as Rakell there. Plus he’s somewhat decent defensively and is what he’s always been - a 20-30 goal guy who scores in bunches. It probably helps with people’s perceptions that he actually scored a lot this year (unlike Rakell), he could have hit 30 if we kept going.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He`s not Toews but let`s just say I disagree here.

Rak has scored plenty of GWG goals, in OT`s and last minutes.
Just on the top of my mind - the overtime winner vs Jets that I think won us the series or G3. The one vs the Oilers when Kes was exploiting the Oil goal crease. The one in OT, nasty wrister against LAK that gave us advantage in the standings.
I agree to @Static that he`s a support player. But he`s still a very good one. The hate on Raks is a bit mindblowing to me

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Burke was on Wyshynskis podcast recently and spoke more about the Thornton potential deal which was kinda interesting to hear. He said Murph came into the room and said Thornton is going to be traded to SJ, we need to hijack the trade and at that point they decided they would protect 5 players (I think he said before that they were going to protect 6). No other real details so don’t go out of your way to listen to the whole podcast unless you want to hear Burke speak about numerous other topics.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He`s not Toews but let`s just say I disagree here.

Rak has scored plenty of GWG goals, in OT`s and last minutes.
Just on the top of my mind - the overtime winner vs Jets that I think won us the series or G3. The one vs the Oilers when Kes was exploiting the Oil goal crease. The one in OT, nasty wrister against LAK that gave us advantage in the standings.
I agree to @Static that he`s a support player. But he`s still a very good one. The hate on Raks is a bit mindblowing to me

Rakell has scored one GWG his entire playoff career, the odd big goal isn’t anything to write home about. Rich Nash has scored the odd big goal in the playoffs including 4 game winners and he’s regarded as one of the worst playoff performers in modern history.

Rakell plays at a 33 point pace in the playoffs compared to a 52 point pace in the regular season. Those are really poor numbers for a player of his caliber.

I don’t hate him, I just think it’s time to move on and he should be held accountable for his two years of effortless play. We could get quality assets in return for him due to his contract and previous production but it’s obvious he’s never going to be a line driver. He’s a poor mans Bobby Ryan and if Bobby got moved I see no reason why Rakell can’t be.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rakell has scored one GWG his entire playoff career, the odd big goal isn’t anything to write home about. Rich Nash has scored the odd big goal in the playoffs including 4 game winners and he’s regarded as one of the worst playoff performers in modern history.

Rakell plays at a 33 point pace in the playoffs compared to a 52 point pace in the regular season. Those are really poor numbers for a player of his caliber.

I don’t hate him, I just think it’s time to move on and he should be held accountable for his two years of effortless play. We could get quality assets in return for him due to his contract and previous production but it’s obvious he’s never going to be a line driver. He’s a poor mans Bobby Ryan and if Bobby got moved I see no reason why Rakell can’t be.
Can`t argue with the numbers but Rakell had 1 point in 16 PO games as a 22 year old, before his breakout. That cuts the big hole in his PO point pace. More recently, in 17-18 he had respectable 13 points in 15 games and when he got injured that year and went out from the Nashville series, things took a big downturn for us. So I don`t think those PO numbers are fully representative of Rakells abilities.

In my opinion, Rak is a support player and he needs good linemates (who doesn`t). Having a bad team will expose any player who isn`t a two way player like Silf or Rico. So I don`t support the Rak hate and would gladly have him back if on a reasonable contract (will have to be bigger than the current one obviously).

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->