Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not sure where to put it but I checked the team stats in the regular season from the start of February (~20 games for each team which is quarter of a season). The Ducks actually were #14 by points. It is not a full season sample size, but large enough one. I think we were trending in the right direction and we should expect an emergence from Comtois, Steel, Terry, and Jones that should help offset the decline of Getzy.

I think we were better than our draft pick suggests, Eakins should be getting a better feel for his team as well. I think we can realistically push for the playoffs next year unless some key trades or injuries ruin it. We will not surpass Vegas and most likely Edmonton. But Calgary and Vancouver will face some changes in the offseason and maybe we can surpass one of them. Won't be easy. But we are not the Red Wings bad either.

Have a great day!

Not to be a debby downer, but you can find a 20 game stretch for any team not named Detroit where they look middle of the pack or better. Short of some miracle work by Bob this team is not making the playoffs next year. Vegas and Vancouver are locks and unless Calgary blows it up they'll easily be better too. The Ducks will once again be duking it out with the Kings for the bottom of the division. And it will probably stay that way until some of our picks become impact players.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not to be a debby downer, but you can find a 20 game stretch for any team not named Detroit where they look middle of the pack or better. Short of some miracle work by Bob this team is not making the playoffs next year. Vegas and Vancouver are locks and unless Calgary blows it up they'll easily be better too. The Ducks will once again be duking it out with the Kings for the bottom of the division. And it will probably stay that way until some of our picks become impact players.
Sure it can always be cherry-picked. But it's not 5 games, it's quarter of a season and if we look into last season with all the change (coaching, mostly), I think the final stretch is the most fair to look at. I think at the start of last season we were playing great but something was not clicking fully and we ended up losing a lot of points. I felt there was a minor but steady improvement as we went on, and the last 20 game stretch shows it.
Look, I don't think we have a safe spot for the playoffs, what I am saying is, we might be closer to the playoffs than we sometimes think.
We have an above average defense and a great goalie but the problem was that our forwards were not bringing it consistently. Like I said, I think our young forwards of Comtois, Steel, Terry and Jones should bring more than they did in what was an underwhelming season. On top of that, we have Heinen and Milano who will not be world breakers but looked quite ok in their time. Add Z and possible improvement of Lundy and that is some depth. Little to no gamebreaking talent there but we still have our veterans of Getzy, Rico, Silf, Raks. We should get together 4 good lines.

Reactions: ADHB

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I have no faith in this team being able to turn it around until the kids start to actually be top 6 guys. They all have that potential, but none of them are.

If Comtois, Steel, and Terry even showed that they were legit second line guys I would have a lot more faith.

Reactions: Quack and Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not sure where to put it but I checked the team stats in the regular season from the start of February (~20 games for each team which is quarter of a season). The Ducks actually were #14 by points. It is not a full season sample size, but large enough one. I think we were trending in the right direction and we should expect an emergence from Comtois, Steel, Terry, and Jones that should help offset the decline of Getzy.

I think we were better than our draft pick suggests, Eakins should be getting a better feel for his team as well. I think we can realistically push for the playoffs next year unless some key trades or injuries ruin it. We will not surpass Vegas and most likely Edmonton. But Calgary and Vancouver will face some changes in the offseason and maybe we can surpass one of them. Won't be easy. But we are not the Red Wings bad either.

Have a great day!

Let's look at the splits! = )

2019-20 Anaheim
GamesGFGADiffWLOTLPts PPGPPOSHGPP Eff GF/gGA/gDiff
Season71187226-392933967 271841014.7% 2.633.18-0.55
End Season205666-1097422 748114.6% 2.803.30-0.50
Season - End51131160-292026545 20136914.7% 2.573.14-0.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We had a boost in scoring goals per game (0.23), but we also had a slight rise in goals against per game rate (0.16). That would be great if we had a positive differential. Yet, I went ahead and did another split between the last 20 games and the trade deadline (TDL) acquisition of 9 games.

2019-20 Anaheim
GamesGFGADiffWLOTLPts PPGPPOSHGPP Eff GF/gGA/gDiff
Season71187226-392933967 271841014.7% 2.633.18-0.55
End Season205666-1097422 748114.6% 2.803.30-0.50
TDL92629-353111 425016.0% 2.893.22-0.33
End - TDL113037-744311 323113.0% 2.733.36-0.64
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Interesting. We were scoring a bit more after the TDL and had reduced getting scored against. That combination is probably why had the same amount of points after the TDL in two fewer games than the previous 11 games.

2019-20
Last 20 games.Total11 gamesTDL
PosPlayerGoals
CHenrique963
FSilfverberg633
4FDeslauriers624
FRitchie44Trade
4CGrant44Trade
FHeinen3 TDL3
DGuhle312
FJones330
FShore22Trade
FMilano2 TDL2
4FRowney202
CGetz211
FRakell202
CSteel211
4CAgozzino1 TDL1
FKase11Trade
DHakanpaa101
DLarsson110
DDjoos1 TDL1
Total552926
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We did have one shootout win, which is why there's only 55 goals listed. Max Jones had a SHG in game 55 against the Leafs.

We lost 11 goals when we traded away Grant, Ritchie, Shore, and Kase. We gained 7 goals in Heinen, Milano, Agozzino, and Djoos. Although the goal differential between the player exchange favors those we traded, overall the team scored more and played slightly better defense after the TDL. Seeing Deslauriers as our leading goal scorer in the last 9 games of the season is a rare sight to see! Terry and Comtois weren't part of the TDL roster, iirc. The defense scored 2 goals in the before the TDL and 4 goals after the TDL.

With only spots available in the top-9 forward lines (because the fourth line is set), I think will be held in check.

Top-9 forward lines after TDL
Milano-Getz-Heinen
Rakell - Henrique - Silf
Jones - Steel - Sherwood

Sherwood isn't signed with the team yet. Milano and Heinen will be in the top-9. The only place for our youth is on the third line. It will be interesting who makes the NHL club between C Steel, C Zegras, LW Jones, LW Comtois, and RW Terry. Zegras may not make the NHL club as Steel will be entering his third year in the NHL. Steel will have the advantage in weight and experience, but I don't know about talent. The prudent move would be to start Zegras in the AHL as he continues his development physically and mentally playing against men at center.

Centers in the AHL
Zegras (New)
Lundestrom
Groulx (New)
Badini (New)​

Comtois may also may not make it to the NHL club and could be paired with Zegras. That actually sounds appetizing.

Circling back to offensive production, I wouldn't mind keeping that offensive production, but with an improved defense. Seeing that we were a rag-tag at the end of the season due to injuries, here's how we started off the 2019-20 season. I tracked the first 22 games.

Ducks Top Pairing Comparison
SubjectGamesGFGAGoal Diff GF/GGA/GDiff
Total225964-5 2.682.91-0.23
With Lind, Manson1125241 2.272.180.09
W/o Lind, Manson113440-6 3.093.64-0.55
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This was when Manson was fully healthy and in NHL game shape. He got injured in that 11th game. I want that GA/game rate of 2.18 again. We have more arsenal this time on defense. We acquired D Gudbranson soon after Manson fell to injury and Gudz played in our 12th game. He paired with Lindholm on the top line.

SubjectGamesGFGAGoal Diff GF/GGA/GDiff
Total225964-5 2.682.91-0.23
With Lindholm1536342 2.402.270.13
W/o Lindholm72330-7 3.294.29-1.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lindholm fell to injury in that 15th game of the season. Despite losing Manson in game 11, Gudbranson was a good complement to Lindholm on the top line. They held a very good GA/game rate of 2.27. Once Lindholm succumbed to injuries, then everything fell apart as Fowler proved he couldn't be a top-line pairing.

But I think Fowler can fit in better with Gudz as his blue-line mate and keeps Fowler as LHD. I think we kept pairing Guhle or MDZ with Fowler instead of Gudz at that time of the early season, while Fowler played RHD, iirc. Having Gudz and Djoos makes the defense much deeper and not force Guhle or Larsson immediately to the top pairing.

I'm still a firm believer that it'll be our defense that gets us back to the playoffs sooner than offense. We need to have a positive goal differential first or close to it to rack up points. The TDL record is proof of that, granted it's a small sample, but compared to the previous 11 games, it's a good enough example. I haven't even mentioned the acquisition of D Curran and how he may help out on the PP unit! If our defense becomes sound again, then we can properly let our offense be a bit more creative. Heck, our fourth line is the second most dangerous scoring line on our team at the moment, and their priority is playing shutdown defense first.

Reactions: Kalv and rlstine

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I have no faith in this team being able to turn it around until the kids start to actually be top 6 guys. They all have that potential, but none of them are.

If Comtois, Steel, and Terry even showed that they were legit second line guys I would have a lot more faith.

this. Until a few young guys take a major step (Steel and Terry are best examples) or some of our key pieces take another step (Rakell or Lindholm are best examples) than I don’t see much change in next year’s finish compared to this years.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Let's look at the splits! = )

I'm still a firm believer that it'll be our defense that gets us back to the playoffs sooner than offense. We need to have a positive goal differential first or close to it to rack up points. The TDL record is proof of that, granted it's a small sample, but compared to the previous 11 games, it's a good enough example. I haven't even mentioned the acquisition of D Curran and how he may help out on the PP unit! If our defense becomes sound again, then we can properly let our offense be a bit more creative. Heck, our fourth line is the second most dangerous scoring line on our team at the moment, and their priority is playing shutdown defense first.

Yes, defense is necessary for all good teams (except 16-18 Pens, apparently :sarcasm:)

But if we have improved F lines that can actually sustain pressure in the offensive zone and make other teams respect them, then our D job will be easier. Can't look at only defensemen when looking at goals against.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
TSN Original: The Problem of Pain

Lots of ducks stuff in here. Multiple players and the trainer for the Gulls who was fired a couple years ago. Definitely worth a watch.

it's absolutely insane that the league said kesler retired because of a bad hip, but not that chrones disease as a result of team issues painkillers ate keslers intestines

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
it's absolutely insane that the league said kesler retired because of a bad hip, but not that chrones disease as a result of team issues painkillers ate keslers intestines
Also puts into perspective what he was going through the last couple years to play. It's awful.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

The league didn't say anything - Kesler and the ducks did. And in fact, its true that Kesler retired due to his hip - he had replacement surgery. According the story, he had been playing with Crohns (or colitis) for 3-4 years - that wasn't the reason he retired. If his hip had held up, he'd have kept playing it seems.

In watching the story, it is clear Kesler has regrets which is totally understandable. But I find it a bit hard to accept his "I had no idea the painkillers were bad" implication (he never actually says that, but he implies it - at least the story was edited that way). Kesler had multiple surgeries over his career - by his own doctors. And we all saw him play the last season when he was a shell of himself - solely to reach 1000 games. At that point, he had been playing for 3-4 years with intestinal maladies and it is impossible to believe the doctors treating him didn't explain what was going on. Certainly for the final 3-4 years of his career, Kesler knew what he was doing.

I think it good he's speaking out It is good for other players to see the consequences of the short term mentality that led to Kesler doing damage to his body.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The league didn't say anything - Kesler and the ducks did. And in fact, its true that Kesler retired due to his hip - he had replacement surgery. According the story, he had been playing with Crohns (or colitis) for 3-4 years - that wasn't the reason he retired. If his hip had held up, he'd have kept playing it seems.

In watching the story, it is clear Kesler has regrets which is totally understandable. But I find it a bit hard to accept his "I had no idea the painkillers were bad" implication (he never actually says that, but he implies it - at least the story was edited that way). Kesler had multiple surgeries over his career - by his own doctors. And we all saw him play the last season when he was a shell of himself - solely to reach 1000 games. At that point, he had been playing for 3-4 years with intestinal maladies and it is impossible to believe the doctors treating him didn't explain what was going on. Certainly for the final 3-4 years of his career, Kesler knew what he was doing.

I think it good he's speaking out It is good for other players to see the consequences of the short term mentality that led to Kesler doing damage to his body.
As for Crohns disease i think Ice Hockey & Basketball are only sports where one can keep playing with it, if you get a flare up mid game you can skate off the ice and someone comes out to replace you, as well as there being alot of stoppage of play in NHL/NBA. While in MLB if a fielder leaves and is replaced by another fielder then he's done for the game unless instead of being replace if he can hold it til the inning is over which can be a while and then hurry to get back before he's up to bat or team is back onto field.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
TSN Original: The Problem of Pain

Lots of ducks stuff in here. Multiple players and the trainer for the Gulls who was fired a couple years ago. Definitely worth a watch.
Man, that was pretty messed up stuff. Not really surprised as you don't really want to think about it. It's always easy to brush things off with saying something like "Well yeah, but they're paid millions for doing this". While it's true too but what are those millions worth if you're physically and mentally damaged? Is this what we want kids to look up to?

Also makes me feel worse about Bob's comment when he said he had players who wouldn't play through things. We can't really know what exactly was he referring to then, but after watching this it doesn't really sound good. Especially if the firing of the Gulls trainer went like he, the trainer said in the interview.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's good for the organization because the Samueli's own the company that runs the Honda center. Would be a big deal for them.

I don't have an Athletic subscription, but I know Gov Newsom has CA locked down tight, especially if it's an indoor venue - see Disneyland. January is still a ways a way, but CA's threshold for reopening is pretty high and disheartening.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Henry and Susan still worth 5.5 Billion and growing(stock market and real estate market booming)

I know, I know...other franchises have done even more furloughs.

But still. It’s a major socio-economic problem we have in this country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad