Salary Cap: 2019-20 - Leafs Salary Cap issues and adjustments?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sorry, I guess I jumped in the middle of your chat.
He would be allowed to retire, doubtful that is on his radar.

No worries. I mean No one really knows what he is thinking. I could see him wanting to keep playing.

I also think there are lots of signs that they have an agreement. When marleau signed, the big 3 were already here. They knew their contracts would be up in marleaus last year. They also knew they had big salary booked that year with little room.

Lou specifically said that the cap situation going forward allowed the deal to happen the way it did.

Two. It is structured exactly like a back diving deal.

Three. Dubas seemed pretty confident he could sign all his players. Babcock even this year was talking about re signing gardiner even after the RFA deals.

To me it’s tough to see that done with marleau at 6.25.

He was saying last year they won’t Be able to keep all of JVR etc. But next year is the real pinch point. He still thinks he can sign gardiner?

To me it’s lining up that he goes away. But no one really knows.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I can see several examples of players demonstrating altruistic motives on the Leafs team this year. Nylander and Matthews taking team friendly below market value contracts to name two...
Hahahahahahhah

Although I’m on the side that thinks there is a very good chance Marleau retires on July 1st.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yes he would. As others have pointed out to you above since he has a 35+ contract he would have to retire at or before June 30th which would preclude him from getting next year's salary and signing bonus. As was also pointed out to you above, there is little/no motivation cap wise for another team to buy him out nor is there any motivation on Marleau's part to go to a bottom feeder.

You're in denial.
I didn’t know that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
why would he have to retire?

If he doesn't want to play on the 4th line Leafs and try and win a Cup (as you claim), then why would he want to play out the string on a bottom feeder?

Particularly if after his bonus is paid July 1st he only has $1.25 mil balance remaining of his $18.75 mil deal.

Up root his family again, sell his house and move his kids into new schools and new friends for $1.25 mil, on an meaningless non playoff team just to please the Maple Leafs and then retire after the season when his contract expires. His NMC actually prevents that as security for himself, so the team can't do that to him against his wishes.

I don't believe you have thought your theory through here, at least not from Marleau's perspective. This all seems fan based wishful thinking. IMO

Reactions: CDN24

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No worries. I mean No one really knows what he is thinking. I could see him wanting to keep playing.

I also think there are lots of signs that they have an agreement. When marleau signed, the big 3 were already here. They knew their contracts would be up in marleaus last year. They also knew they had big salary booked that year with little room.

Lou specifically said that the cap situation going forward allowed the deal to happen the way it did.

Two. It is structured exactly like a back diving deal.

Three. Dubas seemed pretty confident he could sign all his players. Babcock even this year was talking about re signing gardiner even after the RFA deals.

To me it’s tough to see that done with marleau at 6.25.

He was saying last year they won’t Be able to keep all of JVR etc. But next year is the real pinch point. He still thinks he can sign gardiner?

To me it’s lining up that he goes away. But no one really knows.
They weren't counting on Tavares nor Nylander/Matthews/Marner earning what they will.
Agreed, though no one really know. (Other than Zeke)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he doesn't want to play on the 4th line Leafs and try and win a Cup (as you claim), then why would he want to play out the string on a bottom feeder?

Particularly if after his bonus is paid July 1st he only has $1.25 mil balance remaining of his $18.75 mil deal.

Up root his family again, sell his house and move his kids into new schools and new friends for $1.25 mil, on an meaningless non playoff team just to please the Maple Leafs and then retire after the season when his contract expires. His NMC actually prevents that as security for himself, so the team can't do that to him against his wishes.

I don't believe you have thought your theory through here, at least not from Marleau's perspective. This all seem fan based wishful thinking. IMO
I know, I know.....he's not an ahole. :laugh:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They weren't counting on Tavares nor Nylander/Matthews/Marner earning what they will.
Agreed, though no one really know. (Other than Zeke)

You don’t think they would have spent to the cap? You think they told marleau... come here for a cup, but then they weren’t going to go after a JT etc?

If JT stayed home, they prob would have circled back on JVR.

Babcock was still talking about re signing gardiner AFTER Willy. Matthews was going to make 11 ish. It’s just people thought it would be longer term.

I don’t think they signed marleau and they didn’t have a good idea of what was going to happen. They had a plan and cap. JT didn’t just change the market for them. They would have spent elsewhere

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Marleau isn't a leaf next year my guess would be Marleau @ 3.5 (2.75m retained) for Braun @ 3.5 (300k retained) with +'s to either side as needed.

Off season
Marleau @ 3.5 for Braun @ 3.5
Brown to Edmonton for 4th+ Safin
Sign Marner 10.25x6
Sign Kapanen 3x2
Sign Johnsson 2.5x2
Kadri to Carolina for Wallmark, TVR, 2019 1st

Cap compliant by 200k (Horton Buried)
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Wallmark-Kapanen
Petan-Gauthier-Hathawy
Timashov

Rielly-Braun
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-TVR
Rosen

Andersen
Sparks

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know, I know.....he's not an ahole. :laugh:

Marleau's wife and kids might certainly think he is, if he agreed to waive his NMC to anywhere but back to SJ, where the family is likely headed once his NHL career is over, to resume their lives, after a short hiatus letting Patty chase his Cup dream with the Leafs.

Lets see what's best for his own family or what is best for Leaf fans, I'm guessing Marleau is not losing a lot of sleep on this one as a tough call. :wg:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
To get Marleau to retire we have to tell him he's not in our plans and won't play next year

If there is not already an agreement in place, Dubas has to sit him down and say, "is the extra 1.5M in cash worth spending your last year hanging on in the press box collecting cheques? Is that the way you want to go out? "

It's hard for me to imagine him wanting that and thinking pre tax money of 1.5M is worth it with all the money he has made.

However, if he thinks he's still a valuable player who will play 82 games in the top 9 it's hard for me to see him retiring. He loves hockey.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That’s news to me. Why do you think that? Marleau going away for his last year has been a topic for 3 years... I have never heard a reason why they hat wouldn’t be legal
If Marleau doesn't want to be a douche like Zeke says (I don't believe that at all) then in order to give the Leafs cap relief he has to retire before the end of the league year which is June 30th. He has over 4 million reasons not to do that. This has also been gone over in several threads ad nauseum. I wish one of those business of hockey people would come back and explain it to the Wishful Ones again.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yes he would. As others have pointed out to you above since he has a 35+ contract he would have to retire at or before June 30th which would preclude him from getting next year's salary and signing bonus. As was also pointed out to you above, there is little/no motivation cap wise for another team to buy him out nor is there any motivation on Marleau's part to go to a bottom feeder.

You're in denial.
Wait, so how exactly does this work?

Let's say Marleau takes his July 1st signing bonus, then gets traded, then retires.

He's not allowed to retire? As in... like they're literally going to force him to play? Drag him on the ice against his will, kicking and screaming?

Or do yo mean the team he's traded to still has to pay his salary (1.2 million) even if he "retires"? Because that's still not a very big deal.

I just don't know what you mean by he "has" to retire by June 30th.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you have a 6m cap player who is paid 4 million in bonus money to start the season and then retain 50% of their salary in trade... Would that mean you could theoretically pay a team to take him off you hands?

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
The Leafs will be paying his signing bonus July 1 therefore they won't get that cap relief. Yes he can go to another team and retire after that but the signing bonus won't come off our books (35+ contract).

You don't actually think that another team would pay the signing bonus plus the salary to have Marleau play for them or retire on them do you?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Marleau doesn't want to be a *****e like Zeke says (I don't believe that at all) then in order to give the Leafs cap relief he has to retire before the end of the league year which is June 30th. He has over 4 million reasons not to do that. This has also been gone over in several threads ad nauseum. I wish one of those business of hockey people would come back and explain it to the Wishful Ones again.

What’s stopping the leafs from paying the bonus. Trading him to Arizona and they take the hit?

Why is it Toronto’s hit?

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
What’s stopping the leafs from paying the bonus. Trading him to Arizona and they take the hit?

Why is it Toronto’s hit?
It's a 35+ contract. The rules are different. This is been gone over in several threads on this matter.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's a 35+ contract. The rules are different. This is been gone over in several threads on this matter.

Are you sure? I have read tons of threads. I haven’t seen anything that if marleau retired on another team the leafs would still have his cap. I read the old thread where mouser etc talk about it and I do t see it anywhere.

Instead of repeating it I do t see why you can’t just explain why

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I just read the very detailed ppp article on options to get out of Marleaus contract. It says the only real way will be Marleau retiring after July 1st and the leafs trading the empty cap space. It seems very well researched with links provided to back things up.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I just read the very detailed ppp article on options to get out of Marleaus contract. It says the only real way will be Marleau retiring after July 1st and the leafs trading the empty cap space. It seems very well researched with links provided to back things up.
Do you have a link so I can read it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->