2019-20 Kings News/Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Amazing how many people think you can just stick your 3 best players on one line and they should be able to create chemistry and play together....

Reactions: efhank

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Dude, we aren't making the playoffs and we were never going to make the playoffs...accept it now and you will find peace. Our D is horrendous...and our forwards don't score. The end.

If the Kings play at a 108 point pace in the remaining 51 games, they'll tie the 91 points that Nashville, currently the 2nd WC in the West, is on pace for. A must-win month of Dec has started off in the worst possible way to accomplish that. They would need to win the next 7 in a row just to get back to an 82 point pace, let alone continuing that to make up the 9 additional points they would need.

Rooks

Apr 16, 2019
If the Kings play at a 108 point pace in the remaining 51 games, they'll tie the 91 points that Nashville, currently the 2nd WC in the West, is on pace for. A must-win month of Dec has started off in the worst possible way to accomplish that. They would need to win the next 7 in a row just to get back to an 82 point pace, let alone continuing that to make up the 9 additional points they would need.
This post makes me miss when we used to be in the playoff race so much.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Those were a lot of words just to say: “it’s over”. :)

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
In 3 years from now.....

Vilardi + Turcotte + Lafreniere + Kaliyev + Kupari + Thomas + JAD

>

McDavid + Draisaitl + No one (Nugent-Hopkins) + No one (Kassian) + No one (Chiasson) + No one (Khaira)

This may may a true statement (except for not having Lafreniere...but hey, there's a chance to have him or Byfield)

McDavid and Drai cannot play 30+ minutes.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Everyone who is *****ing about Iafallo, is pretty much saying that....
Granted some are for the wrong reasons..
I find it ridiculous when people say he and Brown contributed to Kopi’s career season when the fact I was trying to make is that Kopitar carried two bottom 6 players. Brown has a career year playing with him and Iafallo has seen his number improve based on the same thing..
It certainly isn’t Iafallo’s fault he’s on the top line and not capitalizing on his opportunities, he’s not talented enough. If he was on the bottom 6 I think he’d be ok but does anyone really think he’d score as much without a certain player? Alex is on a gravy train and good for him because he actually hustles but as an organization he should be a stopgap and a nice piece in a trade..

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

You got any math to back that up? What if Nashville goes into a slump?

:laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I find it ridiculous when people say he and Brown contributed to Kopi’s career season when the fact I was trying to make is that Kopitar carried two bottom 6 players. Brown has a career year playing with him and Iafallo has seen his number improve based on the same thing..
It certainly isn’t Iafallo’s fault he’s on the top line and not capitalizing on his opportunities, he’s not talented enough. If he was on the bottom 6 I think he’d be ok but does anyone really think he’d score as much without a certain player? Alex is on a gravy train and good for him because he actually hustles but as an organization he should be a stopgap and a nice piece in a trade..

The hell?

Dustin Brown put up 61 points in Kopitar's 92 point year.
Dustin Brown put up 51 points in Kopitar's 60 point year.

In what universe is Brown a bottom six player?

And beyond that, trying to jettison Iafallo pretending he's just a passenger is a bad take. Kopitar's numbers across the board--advanced stats and regular--are better with Iafallo than without.

Like @GoldenBearHockey said, chemistry is a thing in hockey. Yes, in a perfect world, we have a 'more talented' player with Kopitar, and Iafallo is taking advantage of better matchups down the lineup--but I'm pretty sick of the relentless Alex trashing that's taken place on this board, with some people even saying he's not an NHLer.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The hell?

In what universe is Brown a bottom six player?

And beyond that, trying to jettison Iafallo pretending he's just a passenger is a bad take. Kopitar's numbers across the board--advanced stats and regular--are better with Iafallo than without.

Like @GoldenBearHockey said, chemistry is a thing in hockey. Yes, in a perfect world, we have a 'more talented' player with Kopitar, and Iafallo is taking advantage of better matchups down the lineup--but I'm pretty sick of the relentless Alex trashing that's taken place on this board, with some people even saying he's not an NHLer.

Remove Kopitar from the equation and Brown has changed his game to the point that he’d literally be a bottom 6 player.. or does 27,27, 28, 36 not ring a bell?
Chemistry is obviously one of the biggest factors for productivity, however when looking at what Iafallo brings it’s really what Brownie use to do before whatever change he made to his game.
As for advanced stats favoring Alex, well let’s recall who played with Kopi and for how long?
My point is simple, with Kopitar centering a line it doesn’t matter whose on the wings. Players benefit from Kopi’s ability to make defenses gravitate towards him Which in turn allows them to get prime scoring opportunities. Also, Iafallo is a passenger, as I mentioned above he does a grinders job with speed which is great because guys have fallen off. Pearson, Toffoli, Carter, Clifford and if I remember correctly Lewis played some on the top line too.. all struggling players who weren’t better options at the time but now there’s a Prokhorkin, a Grundstrom, hell even Amadio... bring a better skill set but of course then we have a depth problem because while they can all play winger spots they also happen to be our 2C and 4C.. I rather see a Kempe-Iafallo-Lizotte 3rd line right now with Prokhorkin-Kopitar-Toffoli and Carter-Amadio-Brown.. just for shits and giggles since everything else has been tried..

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Splitting up Brown and Kopitar hurts both of them. TMac tried it a few times with Toffoli/Kempe and Grundstrum and it didn't work . Both guys numbers went down.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You got any math to back that up? What if Nashville goes into a slump?

:laugh:

That can only help! Have you seen what's below Nashville in the standings?

Speaking of Nashville, should they miss the playoffs this year:

13-14, missed the playoffs
14-15, out in the 1st
15-16, out in the 2nd
16-17, out in the Final
17-18, out in the 2nd
18-19, out in the 1st
19-20, missed the playoffs

Perfect bell curve.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Disagree completely. You completely ignore the components that make up good line chemistries. Iafallo's strength is, he goes and gets the puck....he's got a really good shot...but that's what he does, he goes and gets the puck.... to ignore that and say he's not talented enough to play with Kopitar, disregards WHY they work well together....

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Disagree completely. You completely ignore the components that make up good line chemistries. Iafallo's strength is, he goes and gets the puck....he's got a really good shot...but that's what he does, he goes and gets the puck.... to ignore that and say he's not talented enough to play with Kopitar, disregards WHY they work well together....
Not at all, I all but said he’s a poor mans dustin brown! The problem is he doesn’t have Brown’s physicality, net presence, physical stature or his ability to deflect shits in the crease... he doesn’t even have the Brownie shot... Hence he not talented enough to truly capitalize on the gift wrapped scoring attempts he’s had.. and I contradicted myself there because I really wish he could finish, he’d be a 25-30 goals scorer but he’s not and it’s time to truly put him in the bottom 6 where he belongs and give someone else a shot..
Now, the chemistry part I completely get but like I’ve been saying... Everyone that’s played with Kopi long enough has seen there productivity increase because even though many here under appreciated what Kopitar is and does the stats point to an elite player that makes those around him better... So I’ll stick to the notion that you could literally put anyone in his wings and they’d improve..
OT, but there’s also been this misconception that Kopi can’t play with elite talent? Who has ever been brought in to play with him that was elite? Brown? Old and broken Ganorik? Toffoli?... Kovalchuk:sarcasm:.. Kopi has never had a Drai, a Benn, a Kucherov, a Pastrnak.. and so on..
So just to reiterate, I’m not shitting in Iafallo. I was just pointing out that when Kopitar went off for a career year both Brown and Iafallo benefitted greatly from that more than the other way around.. anyone with eyes was able to see that the majority of the points Kopi scores that year were self generated like we’d never seen from him before or since...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not at all, I all but said he’s a poor mans dustin brown! The problem is he doesn’t have Brown’s physicality, net presence, physical stature or his ability to deflect ****s in the crease... he doesn’t even have the Brownie shot... Hence he not talented enough to truly capitalize on the gift wrapped scoring attempts he’s had.. and I contradicted myself there because I really wish he could finish, he’d be a 25-30 goals scorer but he’s not and it’s time to truly put him in the bottom 6 where he belongs and give someone else a shot..
Now, the chemistry part I completely get but like I’ve been saying... Everyone that’s played with Kopi long enough has seen there productivity increase because even though many here under appreciated what Kopitar is and does the stats point to an elite player that makes those around him better... So I’ll stick to the notion that you could literally put anyone in his wings and they’d improve..
OT, but there’s also been this misconception that Kopi can’t play with elite talent? Who has ever been brought in to play with him that was elite? Brown? Old and broken Ganorik? Toffoli?... Kovalchuk:sarcasm:.. Kopi has never had a Drai, a Benn, a Kucherov, a Pastrnak.. and so on..
So just to reiterate, I’m not ****ting in Iafallo. I was just pointing out that when Kopitar went off for a career year both Brown and Iafallo benefitted greatly from that more than the other way around.. anyone with eyes was able to see that the majority of the points Kopi scores that year were self generated like we’d never seen from him before or since...

Except you ignore the point that RJ was making,

So he made Brown 10 points better?? That's the argument? As far as shot, Iafallo has a better shot than Brown, Brown has better hands, and a better net presence, that's why that line works....

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My only point is Brown is absolutely top-six talent, even now.

But he's definitely not an elite talent like the 'other guys' have gotten to play with. Marchand. Kane. Draisaitl. Even Barkov has Huberdeau. Nothing remotely like that, which I get.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Except you ignore the point that RJ was making,

So he made Brown 10 points better?? That's the argument? As far as shot, Iafallo has a better shot than Brown, Brown has better hands, and a better net presence, that's why that line works....

Read my comments again Goldie.. I clearly mentioned Brownie's 27, 27, 28, 36 seasons so if anything Brown playing on Kopitar's wing caused a 25 pt increase but more importantly and you might remember this... It quelled the whole Brown is done BS that was floating around here and all those we need to trade his albatross contract..
As for the line, it should and needs to be much more .. Brown is no longer a the net presence he once was and he seems to be gravitating towards trying to snipe from the outside which isnt his game at all... Iafallo is out of place.. It's sad that some of you have settled into thinking our top line is good.. it isnt and wont be until we can get talented players around Kopitar

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I like Carter and Grundstrom on Kopitar's wings. If you're not gonna play Carter as a center, you might as well put him with Kopitar. Stuff just happens when they are on the ice together. Grundstrom does all the little things well, and has great hands. That's your first line right there.

Reactions: yankeeking
Jul 31, 2005
CA

I don't think you'll find anybody else on this site that will agree with your statement that Iafallo has a really good shot. His career 8% shooting percentage says to me he is a guy miscast on the 1st line simply because the Kings have failed to draft, develop, sign or trade for a legit #1 winger.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Read my comments again Goldie.. I clearly mentioned Brownie's 27, 27, 28, 36 seasons so if anything Brown playing on Kopitar's wing caused a 25 pt increase but more importantly and you might remember this... It quelled the whole Brown is done BS that was floating around here and all those we need to trade his albatross contract..
As for the line, it should and needs to be much more .. Brown is no longer a the net presence he once was and he seems to be gravitating towards trying to snipe from the outside which isnt his game at all... Iafallo is out of place.. It's sad that some of you have settled into thinking our top line is good.. it isnt and wont be until we can get talented players around Kopitar

Uh...you know Brown was stapled to Kopitar before those seasons too, right? In fact, he's been a constant his whole career.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello again. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, so correct me if it isn't.

Would the Kings make Iafallo available? And if so, for what? I'm a Pens fan if that helps at all.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hello again. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, so correct me if it isn't.

Would the Kings make Iafallo available? And if so, for what? I'm a Pens fan if that helps at all.

We'll almost anyone without contract restrictions for the most part is available for the right price, but I don't think the Kings really want to move him due to his age and affordable contract. Kings are really weak on LW, and that obviously makes it worse if he's not here.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We'll almost anyone without contract restrictions for the most part is available for the right price, but I don't think the Kings really want to move him due to his age and affordable contract. Kings are really weak on LW, and that obviously makes it worse if he's not here.

I'm not the Pens GM, but I think the following are likely available:

Galchenyuk (W)
Dominik Simon (F)
Bjugstad (RW/C)
Zach Aston-Reese (W)
Justin Schultz (RD)
Jack Johnson (LD)
Juuso Riikola (D)
Casey DeSmith (G)

1st round picks probably aren't available.

As far as prospects, I think Calen Addison would be available thanks to the emergence of John Marino. And no, I'm not hoarding the Pens prospects, they just don't have that many. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->