Injury Report: 2019-20 IR/recall thread (Latest - NHL season on LTIR)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I still don't see the upside in trading Murray. When he plays he's great, and since he has such an extensive injury history nobody is going to give you fair value for him. Unless he's part of a package for an upgrade at C or something we should just hold onto him, sign him to a 2-3 year deal (since you can't trust him enough for a longer term deal), and just accept that he's going to miss 20-30 games per year.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
...which makes him perfect as our replacement bench warmer.

Yep. He’s also on a one-way deal so making the same amount regardless of whether he’s in AHL or NHL, unlike most (all?) of our other options. And it allows our younger players to keep getting game experience in Cleveland rather than being a healthy scratch in Cbus and not playing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is not physically able to play in the NHL for any significant stretches. Someone may be dumb enough to sign him long term. Time to move on from him.

Prior to this latest injury, he'd missed 222 out of a possible 540 games since he was drafted. 41.1%.

You forgot to explain the part where cutting Murray makes us a better team.

Reactions: db2011 and thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Availability is the #1 asset any player has. You could be the best player in the world but if you are not durable it means nothing. The CBJ are fortunate, we have two extra legit NHL defensemen on the roster. Losing Murray for significant time is not as big a deal as it would be for most other teams.

Money is not an issue this year because the CBJ are loaded with cap space but he makes $4.6 Million per season while historically you'd be lucky to get 60 regular season games out of him. Fluke or chronic injuries regardless...lost time is lost time and it happens to him every season (except one).

Off-topic: based on his track record its almost like he is making $6 Million per season because you know he is probably only going to play 3/4 seasons.

Back on-topic: But what happens next season when Andy, PLD, Gavrikov, Kukan, Korpi and Elvis all need new deals. And you have to sign both of those d-men because you can't rely on Murray to play significant games. And all of those guys are looking at legit raises. I didn't even mention Sonny or Lilja because who knows what will happen with either of those guys. All of a sudden the Cap might be a concern.

Point is, Murray is a luxury we can afford this year but maybe not next year. Maybe Dubi goes to LTIR and we know Tyutin finally comes off the books which would all be nice cap relief.

I don't know what Jarmo finally does with Murray but his injuries complicate committing to him long term.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
In the past, Murray has generally been very good for us when healthy. But as DoggyII said, availability is imperative. Clearly Murray has durability issues and looking at stats, it appears this was true in Juniors as well. One additional point - while I speak positively about his play in the past, IMO he has been quite off this year looking rusty, slower and lacking crisp puck control.

We missed any chance to trade him and I wouldn't resign him to new deal unless it's cheap - oh, I meant highly discounted (heck $2M is like paying him $3.5-4.0M in games played equivalency).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You forgot to explain the part where cutting Murray makes us a better team.
You forgot to read my post. Signing him long term. He's a year-to-year contract player for a rational GM.

Plus, he's not near as good as he's made out to be on this board.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Please don't let it be Hannikainen, please don't let it be Hannikainen :facepalm:

I am tempted to say bring Gerbe up.
lilja will play he is ready. and Gerbe won't play for the cbj this year.

if torts want to train with someone else than hanni they can call up like 5-6 other guy that can fit the role. they are unlikely to play anyway. MacInnis, Sherwood, Stenlund, Robinson, Dano, Dalpe are all called up over gerbe I think

I am much more worried about playing multiple games with harri if nut isnt ready.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You forgot to read my post. Signing him long term. He's a year-to-year contract player for a rational GM.

Plus, he's not near as good as he's made out to be on this board.

I read your post. "Time to move on from him" sounded like you meant now.

Handling Murray year to year might be the way to go.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I read your post. "Time to move on from him" sounded like you meant now.

Handling Murray year to year might be the way to go

The problem is going to be is that he's UFA and that-assuming he's been healthy for the majority of next season-he's going to be looking for longer term. A damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Here are some recent posts (~2 years ago) discussing Ryan Murray that I find still hold true today:

Because "prone" means likely to be injured.
Getting injured a lot doesn't mean you are likely to get injured in the future unless you can point to a specific reason for the injuries (weak knee, bad back, concussion recurrence, etc.).
Just saying that he has had numerous injuries therefore he is likely to get injured again in the future is simply an analog of the hot hand fallacy. Past events aren't predictive of future outcomes unless you can show the mechanism by which they are made more likely. If I rolled a die ten times and got 6 all ten times, on the eleventh roll I'm no more likely to get 6 than any other number. Unless you can show that the die is loaded or lopsided.
As the article you cited states, these injuries are ligament or bone-specific. The idea that someone can play for 10-20 years in a high contact sport with some body-wide genetic abnormality is absurd. Sure, you can get by with a weak ACL or a heart defect, but those are specific.
Murray has had issues with tendons, muscles, and bones. Further, the injuries hes has suffered would absolutely be suffered by any other player in that position. In his draft year, Murray got caught by a high hit which damaged tendons in his shoulder. This went undetected and in his draft +1 season he got hit again in the same spot and the hit separated his weakened shoulder. In a following season, Murray caught his skate in the side boards and popped his knee. It's not that he had weak knee ligaments, he just unfortunately got his skate caught. The next season, Ryan Johansen rolled up on his leg and caused a high-ankle sprain. That again would happen to anybody in Murray's situation who had Johansen fall on him.
There absolutely are players who can correctly be classified as injury-prone. Marc Savard is a prominent example given his history of numerous and recurrent concussions.
Until a specific injury pathway can be identified with Murray, we have no idea how long it will be until his next injury (if one indeed does occur) nor do we know the nature of that injury. That means he's just like most other NHL players. It's a fair bet that in any given season a player will be injured, that's the nature of the sport. But we cannot say how that injury will likely manifest.
The fact that we cannot begin to predict his next injury's timing, location, or severity means he should not be considered "injury prone."
Clearly there's a huge difference in how you and others understand the concept of being "injury prone".
By your logic would you say that literally every player in the league is injury prone? Since we can predict that, for example every hard high hit directly into the head, will result a concussion?
It's a silly semantics game anyways. Folks are allowed to recognize that Murray, despite not being particularly having any type of injury he's prone to, nonetheless is injured alarmingly often.
The real issue is whether or not those injuries are indicative of an ongoing serious issue that we can't solve. That has not been demonstrated.
Huh. Somebody here doesn't seem to like it that folks aren't falling into lockstep agreement:
NHL players you consider injury prone
I’m allowed to create threads on the mains. Hope it fits your narrative. I was gauging other players that the league considers injury prone to see if they have reoccurring injuries or “bad luck” like you say Murray has.
Gaborik, Bogosian, Ryan Murray, Kris Letang, Bobby Ryan, Stamkos, Edler, Tanev are all injury prone.
I will stand by my point that he is made of glass.
Cheers.
Recent news on Ryan Murray - Columbus Blue Jackets - Rotoworld.com
Ryan Murray
Shoulder Injury, torn labrum, November 2012
Suffers an “Upper Body injury” November 2013
Knee injury March 2014
Knee injury September 2014
Knee injury November 2014
Ankle Sprain February 2015
“Leg injury” October 2016
Head injury October 2016
“Lower body injury” March 2017
Broken hand March 2017
“Upper body” December 2017

I am curious as to what the perception of Ryan Murray is now?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Here are some more gems regarding Ryan Murray:

Since Ryan Murray made the jump to the nhl, the CBJ have played 383 games. Ryan Murray has played in 244 of those 383 games. So he has played in 244 games, and missed 139 games. If that is not injury prone, I'm not sure what would be.
It's worse than that. He missed 48 games of the lockout season in 2012-13. So it's (48+ (82*4)+55 this year)=431 games in which he could have played. He's played in 244 out of those 431 or 56.6% of all possible games.
He's making almost $3 million this season. Not bad for a part time employee.

someone should do the calculations now regarding the percentage of games that he’s played in. If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck maybe it’s injury prone.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can’t like anything in this thread but I found this comment funny.

what do you think his trade value is currently? And has that gone up or down from say 2-3 years ago?

For Murray's value, I bet if you ask 31 different GMs you'll get 31 different answers.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I can’t like anything in this thread but I found this comment funny.

what do you think his trade value is currently? And has that gone up or down from say 2-3 years ago?

C. Stayed the same.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If you don't mind explaining your point....
I think there’s a narrower split on Murray among GMs, mostly on diminished value because of injury and probably less regarding his play when he is on the ice. But the comment was more about friendly razzing for not giving your own “GM assessment”. :)

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think there’s a narrower split on Murray among GMs, mostly on diminished value because of injury and probably less regarding his play when he is on the ice. But the comment was more about friendly razzing for not giving your own “GM assessment”. :)

Ah I see.

Well I started to think through what Murray's value might be and it was all over the place depending on the situations for each team and what a GM might think about acquiring an oft injured player. I'm sure some wouldn't want the risk. For all we know Ray Shero would give his left nut to have a player like that for 60 games a year. New Jersey hasn't had a LD of that quality since Greene left his prime, Montreal hasn't since Markov left his.

We see widely differing valuations a lot when players hit UFA. Tyler Myers missed about as much time as Murray did (maybe more) up until the last two years, where he was healthy but also clearly not a top pair quality guy. He still got a $6m x 5 deal from Vancouver. It's too much money and term, in my opinion, but it's not out of the question that he'll be worth it in the end.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I still stand by the distinction I drew between being injury prone and being often injured, albeit with the caveat that Murray now has had some back problems which could result in him being labeled as both.

But yeah breaking a hand is just bad luck.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So we didn't call anyone up to replace Tex? I guess because Torts shrinks his bench all the time Jarmo just decided to give him a pre-shrunk one?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So we didn't call anyone up to replace Tex? I guess because Torts shrinks his bench all the time Jarmo just decided to give him a pre-shrunk one?
We just did today with another checker. I mean Dalpe would have seemed to make sense, but we know Torts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->