Injury Report: 2019-20 IR/recall thread (Latest - NHL season on LTIR)

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Honestly, if you took 5 top forwards, 2 of 4 top D and the #1 goalie off of any team in the NHL, how do you think they would do?

Let's be proud of what the CBJ have accomplished. It's not over yet.
Similarly, I was thinking about how you could make at least one line of currently injured CBJ players + injured goalie that would be competitive against any other NHL team.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Honestly, if you took 5 top forwards, 2 of 4 top D and the #1 goalie off of any team in the NHL, how do you think they would do?

Let's be proud of what the CBJ have accomplished. It's not over yet.

Of course any squad would struggle.

It’s possible to be proud of what the team has accomplished but have little expectation it can continue.

It’s not wrong though to recall there have been other injuries, most obviously Korpi, that we thought would be the end, and they haven’t been. But it’s also possible to recognize that there might be a breaking point and that this might be it.

Reactions: pete goegan

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Does anyone remember how many MGLs we had for 2011-2012? I'm just wondering if we're approaching a franchise record.
There is a twitter page called man games lost NHL that has a graph from 2009-2016 and Columbus is top 4 in total games lost. You have to join to get more in depth graphs, but from that you can tell CBJ has a ton of injuries.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Going to try and look at the semi-bright side - management is getting a long look at a number of young prospects and will have a better idea on who could have a future with the club, and who they can cut ties with........I'm really trying to spin this into a positive as I come to grips with a season that's going down the drain.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
NHL Injury Viz: 2019/20 team injury breakdowns (through 14 February)

Per this site, we are #2 in CHIP (Cap Hits of Injured Players) to Pittsburgh. We have more total man games lost to injury, they just have had higher paid players out more.

The franchise record was in 2014-2015 with 507 man games lost. The team this season is going to add 120+ just based on Jones, Dubinsky, Murray, Bjorkstrand, Texier, and Kukan being out the final 20 games, plus whatever else is missed by Atkinson, Wennberg, and Anderson. Probably 150+ more to the 341 already (if you include Dubinsky, some aren't counting him). So this team will threaten 500 again.

Since the Jackets '14-'15 season of 507, the highest number was 459 by the Canucks in '16-'17. Most other seasons the top team is around 400. The Islanders had 592 in 2008-2009 and 579 in 2010-2011.

The unofficial record is 629 by the '03-'04 LA Kings.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think the smart move is to shut down guys who aren't 100% recovered (no sense in rushing anyone). Also, don't overburden Merzlikins. Give him enough starts to be happy and develop his game, but use Kivlenieks every 3rd or 4th game until Korpisalo is back. Then split starts 50/50.

Trade Riley Nash at the TDL if possible. If Milano is going to continue being a healthy scratch in spite of the injuries, then it won't work here and move him too. Otherwise, just remain quiet and roll with what they have.

At the draft, draft BPA if there is a clear cut top player. If not, look to add picks by moving back a few spots.

On July 1st, offer Taylor Hall $10.5 million over 7 years unless the team is acutely concerned about his injury history or drop in production. Chances are he will receive multiple similar offers but it makes sense to give it a shot.

The only thing I wouldn’t do is trade Nash. (Similar reason to the not trading Nyquist mentioned earlier. You can move Nash next year at the TDL if you need to or keep him for next year’s playoffs.) Otherwise, I agree with every word of your post.

I’d also at least shop Savard. Not necessarily trade him, but see if some desperate team bites hard. Maybe see if you can get TOR/FLA into a bidding war (both to improve their team AND as a move to prevent the other franchise from getting him).

Reactions: Fairwhether

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m so p*$$ed right now. The season, if not already a tough road without Jones, is now virtually mission impossible. And while I’ll still be watching, I’ll miss seeing my man Bjork on the ice potting goals at an elite level pace recently.

This team has been amazing, hanging in there throwing together makeshift parts and pieces in the most unlikely combos to win. Hats off to the players who manned up and to Torts, who I’ve sometimes criticized but specializes in the style of play that could be competitive with this roster de jour.

It’s not just that so many guys have been missing, it’s WHO has been missing games....starting goalie, two best goal scorers, best defensemen, big goal scorer and force in prior year, and some otherwise good Dmen. Damn!

I’ll continue to down Peronis and raise my bottles to honor our guys efforts the rest of the season, while using the contents to drown my sorrows.

Last edited:

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I believe they are right now (just edging out the Pens), but like you said, who knows how it will shake out over the next few months.
Pittsburgh isn’t even in the top 5. So the praise of Sullivan needs to calm down.

Attachments

• 14996B2A-98AA-48D4-9E49-D7C6BB03B210.jpeg
    14996B2A-98AA-48D4-9E49-D7C6BB03B210.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 3

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Pittsburgh isn’t even in the top 5. So the praise of Sullivan needs to calm down.

I guess it depends on how you calculate it. Apparently if you factor in average TOI of those lost to injury Pitt is still #1.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I’m so p*$$ed right now. The season, if not already a tough road without Jones, is now virtually mission impossible. And while I’ll still be watching, I’ll miss seeing my man Bjork on the ice potting goals at an elite level pace recently.

This team has been amazing, hanging in there throwing together makeshift parts and pieces in the most unlikely combos to win. Hats off to the players who manned up and to Torts, who I’ve sometimes criticized but specializes in the style of play that could be competitive with this roster de jour.

It’s not just that so many guys have been missing, it’s WHO has been missing games....starting goalie, two best goal scorers, best defensemen, big goal scorer and force in prior year, and some otherwise good Dmen. Damn!

I’ll continue to down Peronis and raise my bottles to honor our guys efforts the rest of the season, while using the contents to drown my sorrows.
I too will raise my glass to the CBJ. They have had a great run with more games to play. They won’t quit so I won’t quit on them either. I know that the injuries make it likely that our season is done, but so what? The young kids have gotten experience and have provided us some great memories with more in the offing. Once healthy this team will be one to be reckoned with, and if we do get a high pick and draft a franchise player (is there one this year? I don’t know). All the better. We have found out a lot about our goalies, our defense and our depth. I am interested in what happens for the last six weeks or so.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Penguins who have missed at least 20% of the season to date:

Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
Crosby
Hornqvist
Schultz
Dumoulin

Letang and Marino have also missed around 8-10 games each.

(I'm not trying to argue, just giving context.)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
Crosby
Hornqvist
Schultz
Dumoulin

Get this logic out of here. Only the Blue Jackets have bad luck with injuries

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Malkin
Rust
Guentzel
Crosby
Hornqvist
Schultz
Dumoulin

How many games did both Crosby and Malkin miss at the same time?

Reactions: cslebn

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I still want to know where the MIA Josh Anderson is at. He hasn't been skating alone or with other injured players recently that I've seen reported. A 4-6 week injury is now 10 weeks and nobody is saying a d*mn thing. Something is going on that people aren't talking about.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I still want to know where the MIA Josh Anderson is at. He hasn't been skating alone or with other injured players recently that I've seen reported. A 4-6 week injury is now 10 weeks and nobody is saying a d*mn thing. Something is going on that people aren't talking about.
The moment his agent said he won’t take part in contact practices until his doctor clears him made it 100% a contract issue.

Anderson and his agent are delusional with these tactics. He’s still a RFA and he’s on a 15 point season pace. His holdout a few years back was completely idiotic and I’m sure they still have some resentment from it.

Reactions: Fairwhether

Apr 9, 2009
USA
How many games did both Crosby and Malkin miss at the same time?

I don't care enough to look it up. I didn't really want to engage in discussion. It doesn't usually go well. Just wanted to give context to the comment of "Pittsburgh not being in the top 5" regarding injuries.

Sucks what's going on in Columbus though, I am not trying to detract from that whatsoever. I was bummed when Jones went down.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The moment his agent said he won’t take part in contact practices until his doctor clears him made it 100% a contract issue.

Anderson and his agent are delusional with these tactics. He’s still a RFA and he’s on a 15 point season pace. His holdout a few years back was completely idiotic and I’m sure they still have some resentment from it.
His other mega-holdout client Andreas Athanasiou is also having a stellar year in a contract season too. Granted the wings are just bad but his stats have dropped in half and he is the clubhouse leader in the race for the Green Jacket at -43 right now.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Man games lost is a weak excuse for anything. Man games lost doesn't mean games not won...
Ok sure but at a certain point injuries can become insurmountable. When just about everyone is out long term and we’re icing our minor league lineup every night they’re simply not going to be as competitive against legit NHL teams. No matter how much promise these prospects have they’re playing against seasoned pros and that’s going to catch up sooner or later. So yeah, in this case, I’m comfortable correlating (as Monk said) injuries to our season going down the toilet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad