Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Was playing around on Cap Friendly and came up with this

Trades
To Edmonton -Connor Brown
To Toronto - Jesse Puljujarvi

To Carolina - Kadri, Johnsson, Zaitsev
To Toronto - Pesce, Gauthier, Wallmark

To Ottawa - Bracco, 2nd
To Toronto - Pageau

Sign Marner to the Kucherov Contract
Bridge Kapanen, 3M x 2 years

Resign Hainsey (or an equivalent LHD) for 1.5M for 1 year

Resign Ozhiganov and Hutchinson

Works out to 82.5 Million on an 83 Million Cap

I realize its not realistic for that much turnover, but its cap compliant and I think it makes us better

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.54.33 PM.png

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
To Carolina - Kadri, Johnsson, Zaitsev
To Toronto - Pesce, Gauthier, Wallmark

That's a lot of money going to Carolina. Has Dundon said anything about potentially spending more next year?

For Zaitsev proposals, he has negative value at this point. So unless a team is desperately trying to reach the floor, I can't see anything done without money coming back our way. Perhaps we could attach a solid prospect/pick with the contract to sweeten the pot? Not sure

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That's a lot of money going to Carolina. Has Dundon said anything about potentially spending more next year?

For Zaitsev proposals, he has negative value at this point. So unless a team is desperately trying to reach the floor, I can't see anything done without money coming back our way. Perhaps we could attach a solid prospect/pick with the contract to sweeten the pot? Not sure

I disagree that Zaitsev has negative value. His cap hit isn't THAT bad, and he's a servicable #4/#5 RHD.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I disagree that Zaitsev has negative value. His cap hit isn't THAT bad, and he's a servicable #4/#5 RHD.

Problem is you are trying to unload him on a team that has Pesce (who would be moved in this proposed deal), Hamilton, Faulk, TVR, along with McKeown and Fox in the system. His value IS that bad for a team like Carolina, who is also a budget team.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
This is true.
His cap hit lessens his value because he’s slightly over paid. But for a team that needs a RHD, he has value. He plays too many minutes with Toronto.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs are about 8m over cap next year with after all their RFAs are signed.
If Marleau retires, then that's 6.25m cap hit that can be traded.
I personally don't know why so many folks think Zaitsev gets traded. He is somewhat overpaid and a long term contract which make him a difficult, plus the Leafs don't have anyone to eat those minutes he does plays.
Brown, not really a big enough cap hit to make that much difference.
To me the most logical trade is Nylander. 7m cap hit but a nice 4,7m actual cash payout fo the next 5 years after July 1st. Think it a lot easier to trade one guy and find a replacement then trades three players and trying to find 3 cheap NHL competent replacements.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is true.
His cap hit lessens his value because he’s slightly over paid. But for a team that needs a RHD, he has value. He plays too many minutes with Toronto.
Yeah, value is not a static number. As @Boom Boom Apathy said above, he is just basically a walking cap hit for Carolina. He probably has negative value for us since we're all about squeezing out as much impact per cap dollar as possible for all but our core. But there might be a team out there that really needs someone who can play RD in a big role without being completely exposed, and they'd think that cap hit isn't so bad in comparison. From a team like that, we might even get an asset back.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, value is not a static number. As @Boom Boom Apathy said above, he is just basically a walking cap hit for Carolina. He probably has negative value for us since we're all about squeezing out as much impact per cap dollar as possible for all but our core. But there might be a team out there that really needs someone who can play RD in a big role without being completely exposed, and they'd think that cap hit isn't so bad in comparison. From a team like that, we might even get an asset back.

If they weren't in a cap crunch themselves, maybe a team like EDM, but they have their own cap issues to deal with. Buffalo is another team where he might have value. Colorado maybe depending on what they do with Barrie. AZ might be another team, but not sure they want to spend like that. Chicago might have a need, but they could run into cap issues themselves.

Just going off the top of my head so I could be wrong on those. Probably 1 or 2 more as well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I personally don't know why so many folks think Zaitsev gets traded. He is somewhat overpaid and a long term contract which make him a difficult, plus the Leafs don't have anyone to eat those minutes he does plays.

oh yes they do.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully Zaitsev, Brown and Marleau (Brooks style buy out) will be dealt in offseason. We need to have about 4 million in cap space to avoid overages next year.

Hopefully the cap goes up to 83.5 with Hortons LTIR it will be very close. Obviously our big ticket

If no deal to shore up the RHD comes before the TDL I think Dubas has to seriously look at trading Nylander after his bonus is paid. Basically we could sign both Kapanen and Johnsson for likely about or less than Nylander. Production wise it’s likely a wash or we are better off.

Lots of permutations.

Last edited:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Hopefully Zaitsev, Brown and Marleau (Brooks style buy out). We need to have about 4 million in cap space to avoid overages next year.

Hopefully the cap goes up to 83.5 with Hortons LTIR it will be very close. Obviously our big ticket

If no deal to shore up the RHD comes before the TDL I think Dubas has to seriously look at trading Nylander after his bonus is paid. Basically we could sign both Kapanen and Johnsson for likely about or less than Nylander. Production wise it’s likely a wash or we are better off.

Lots of permutations.
I dont think that's an option in Dubas' mind. I think Nylander is just on the cusp of hitting his prime and will be a huge contributor on the team once hes there.

Zaitsev needs to go, but I'm not sure we can do it without another right handed option coming back. It's clear babcock likes Reilly as a lefty so we need a cheaper option there. After that we need to get rid of brown, you just cant have 2 million plus guys getting 4th line contribution.

It should all work especially with johnsson and kapanen bridges. I'm sure they'll want to stick around... being in this top 9 is great for your career and we can promise them more money when Marleau goes. Johnsson already bet on himself with accepting his QO, I'm sure he would do it again for two years.

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Again folks trading Willy is always going to be a bad trade for us.

Matty - Kappy
Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Willy

Rielly - Dermott

Freddy

Those 9 guys are the core. We have to figure out a way to get all of them signed. It gives us 3 lines which no one else can match.

Too many people are fixated on the contracts right now and Willy's bad start mid season (which as I told all of you before it even started would be the case). Anyways get your head past the contracts and focus in on Willy past 2 weeks which is what we will get for 6 years.

All i can hear is the next Marner contract and how bad it will be for us. It is downright predictable. Even now well Marner weak play past week is a function of the contract. Come on folks. There are skilled guys who are going to get paid. Welcome to the new NHL.

I do not see room for AJ or Brown. They deserve more but are not going to get it here. So trade them and pick up pieces to surround the core or get backs picks. Although Dubie disagrees with me I would pick up another board buster and cycle buster dman on a UFA contract for playoffs. Muzzy can't do it all himself. Hainsey is not mobile enough anymore to do it and he really never was that type of guy in his career.

Reactions: dsred and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I dont think that's an option in Dubas' mind. I think Nylander is just on the cusp of hitting his prime and will be a huge contributor on the team once hes there.

Zaitsev needs to go, but I'm not sure we can do it without another right handed option coming back. It's clear babcock likes Reilly as a lefty so we need a cheaper option there. After that we need to get rid of brown, you just cant have 2 million plus guys getting 4th line contribution.

It should all work especially with johnsson and kapanen bridges. I'm sure they'll want to stick around... being in this top 9 is great for your career and we can promise them more money when Marleau goes. Johnsson already bet on himself with accepting his QO, I'm sure he would do it again for two years.
Bridging is an option with Kapanen, but it may not be with Johnsson having arbitration rights. Which is why I have said trading Johnsson may be necessary, even though I feel he is more needed as the LW side is significantly weaker than the RW side.

Seems like a lot of people's answer is to trade Nylander. The truth of the matter is, no smart team trades off the top the roster to keep the middle of the roster intact.

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Again folks trading Willy is always going to be a bad trade for us.

Matty - Kappy
Tavares - Marner
Kadri - Willy

Rielly - Dermott

Freddy

Those 9 guys are the core. We have to figure out a way to get all of them signed. It gives us 3 lines which no one else can match.

Too many people are fixated on the contracts right now and Willy's bad start mid season (which as I told all of you before it even started would be the case). Anyways get your head past the contracts and focus in on Willy past 2 weeks which is what we will get for 6 years.

All i can hear is the next Marner contract and how bad it will be for us. It is downright predictable. Even now well Marner weak play past week is a function of the contract. Come on folks. There are skilled guys who are going to get paid. Welcome to the new NHL.

I do not see room for AJ or Brown. They deserve more but are not going to get it here. So trade them and pick up pieces to surround the core or get backs picks. Although Dubie disagrees with me I would pick up another board buster and cycle buster dman on a UFA contract for playoffs. Muzzy can't do it all himself. Hainsey is not mobile enough anymore to do it and he really never was that type of guy in his career.

Pure speculation on your part. You have no basis to say trading Nylander will always be a bad trade. See RyJo, Duchene, Drouin trades.

Brown can go. He can be replaced at a much lower cap hit.

If cap is an issue, whichever player (Nylander or AJ) brings back the best rate of return goes IMO. Nylander gets you a #3/#4 dman plus and clears $7M in cap space. AJ gets you a #4/#5 dman and should have a team friendly cap hit. If Dubas can find a way to move Z, Marleau and Brown by this summer, there may be no need for this discussion.

Reactions: RLF

RLF

May 5, 2014
Pure speculation on your part. You have no basis to say trading Nylander will always be a bad trade. See RyJo, Duchene, Drouin trades.

Brown can go. He can be replaced at a much lower cap hit.

If cap is an issue, whichever player (Nylander or AJ) brings back the best rate of return goes IMO. Nylander gets you a #3/#4 dman plus and clears $7M in cap space. AJ gets you a #4/#5 dman and should have a team friendly cap hit. If Dubas can find a way to move Z, Marleau and Brown by this summer, there may be no need for this discussion.

Yea, it's not just about "how can the Leafs stay under the cap"...while keeping Willy. It is also - How can the Leafs stay under the cap and ice the most competitive team.

Reactions: dsred and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bridging is an option with Kapanen, but it may not be with Johnsson having arbitration rights. Which is why I have said trading Johnsson may be necessary, even though I feel he is more needed as the LW side is significantly weaker than the RW side.

Seems like a lot of people's answer is to trade Nylander. The truth of the matter is, no smart team trades off the top the roster to keep the middle of the roster intact.

Sure tell that to Stan Bowman who traded Buff, Sharp, Ladd, Versteeg, Bolland, Campbell, Hammer, Panarin, Niemi etc. etc. etc. in order to stay under the cap and he has 3 Stanley Cups to show for it. In a cap world teams may not be able to keep all their diamonds and with the contracts Leafs have been handing out, something has to give unless they can move Z and Marleau IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea, it's not just about "how can the Leafs stay under the cap"...while keeping Willy. It is also - How can the Leafs stay under the cap and ice the most competitive team.

Exactly. I am real happy to see the old Nylander back but that contract was structured the way it was for a reason IMO. Willie stays if Marleau's cap hit can be moved.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well I probably over stated that one for sure. Anyone can be traded for sure. My feeling is Willy brings puck possession and skill to this team which it needs. In my world Willy is core. He gives us 3 legit lines. And teams that win Cups like Pittsburgh won with 3 lines and a hot goalie.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Exactly. I am real happy to see the old Nylander back but that contract was structured the way it was for a reason IMO. Willie stays if Marleau's cap hit can be moved.

He may stay anyway if Dubas plan is to go with a young, cheap, inexperienced D...and I think it might be.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Well I probably over stated that one for sure. Anyone can be traded for sure. My feeling is Willy brings puck possession and skill to this team which it needs. In my world Willy is core. He gives us 3 legit lines. And teams that win Cups like Pittsburgh won with 3 lines and a hot goalie.

Yes, but Pitt also won only when their big contracts they gave out were reduced to the cap because the cap rose so much. Until then, they couldn't afford the support to their stars and couldn't ice a complete enough team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs must to stay under the Salary Cap, rather than how can they is the mandadte.

Tough decisions are on the horizon shortly where the middle players making $4-5 mil will be forced out for cap reasons and Leafs will end up with a few high-end talent but high AAV prices and then a bunch of scrubs, Marlies and ELC players rounding out their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->