GDT: 2019-20 GM#7 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @7:30pm 10/17/19

mr2padstack

Jul 10, 2012
I like TMacs answers after each presser. He will tell it like it is, unlike the last few guys who just mumbled answers or got down right surley with the media.
Anyone know where I could see that coach post-game interviews? I don't have TV is there a website or something?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Some positives to look at despite our 2-5 start to the season.

The Kings lead the league in Corsi For per 60 at 68.61(second is Toronto - 68.17).
The Kings lead the league in Fenwick For per 60 at 52.97(Second is the Canes - 48.39).
The Kings lead the league in Shots For per 60 at 37.86(Second is the Cats - 37.82).
The Kings lead the league in Scoring Chances per 60 at 33.42(second is the Leafs - 31.81).
The Kings are second in the league at High Danger Scoring Chances per 60 at 11.91(Canes are first - 12.39).
The Kings lead the league in xGF per 60 at 2.97(second is the Flyers - 2.75).

The defensive metrics are largely middle of the pack, so they are not completely selling out to generate the offensive chances either. I think as players get more comfortable we are going to start seeing a lot more scoring.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

The Kings lead the league in Corsi For per 60 at 68.61(second is Toronto - 68.17).
The Kings lead the league in Fenwick For per 60 at 52.97(Second is the Canes - 48.39).
The Kings lead the league in Shots For per 60 at 37.86(Second is the Cats - 37.82).
The Kings lead the league in Scoring Chances per 60 at 33.42(second is the Leafs - 31.81).
The Kings are second in the league at High Danger Scoring Chances per 60 at 11.91(Canes are first - 12.39).

The defensive metrics are largely middle of the pack, so they are not completely selling out to generate the offensive chances either. I think as players get more comfortable we are going to start seeing a lot more scoring.
Corsi and fenwick sound like something you need to participate in a medical trial to get rid of...

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

I hate fancy stats. I go with the eye test. Skating, passing and shooting the puck were terrible tonight.

Reactions: mr2padstack

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hate fancy stats. I go with the eye test. Skating, passing and shooting the puck were terrible tonight.

The eye test showed me that they generated an assload of killer chances that they couldn't finish.

Smug comments about 'fancy stats' and the 'shot count' belie reality, this has been a team that has had no problem generating shots and chances this year, their finish has just evaporated (or never existed).

Shooting the puck was terrible tonight. Skating was fine. Passing was a mixed bag but you don't generate that many chances without creating.

Like just about every other game this year--we were undone by sloppy attention to defense, rough goaltending, bad finish, and an extra heaping of shit luck with posts and own goals.

I know the suggestion is going to be this is the 2015 Kings all over again and we didn't make Hutton work for it but that's bullshit by the eye test and every metric and the heat map.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wooooo getem Tmac

McLellan, on whether the long chances against are inherently the “risk-reward part of the system”:
No, that’s stupidity. They know exactly what they’re supposed to do. You can go sit there and I could point out the individuals you can go talk to. I, we, you, everybody understands that nobody’s perfect and there’s going to be mistakes. It’s sport, that’s what it’s all about, and we can live with that. But when you continually make the same one over and over again, you’re going to find your ass in the stands pretty quickly. Like I told them between periods, we’re going to continue to play aggressively, and we’re going to find guys that can play in the system, and if they can’t play, then they’re going to watch. Pretty simple.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wooooo getem Tmac

McLellan, on whether the long chances against are inherently the “risk-reward part of the system”:
No, that’s stupidity. They know exactly what they’re supposed to do. You can go sit there and I could point out the individuals you can go talk to. I, we, you, everybody understands that nobody’s perfect and there’s going to be mistakes. It’s sport, that’s what it’s all about, and we can live with that. But when you continually make the same one over and over again, you’re going to find your ass in the stands pretty quickly. Like I told them between periods, we’re going to continue to play aggressively, and we’re going to find guys that can play in the system, and if they can’t play, then they’re going to watch. Pretty simple.
A lot of Kings players just sitting pretty on big money that Lombardi gave 'em.

Carter and Quick are just about done. That's $11.3 million of almost dead money. Kovalchuk being paid $6 million to keep missing the net! Kopitar was a 70-90 point player under Sutter, Stevens and Willie D. TMac system should allow Kopitar to being closer to a 90 point player. Tiffoli makes $4.6 million, yet he's playing like he wants to get out. Kempe has some good skill, but doesn't seem to know how to translate it into producing points.

The one thing I think the Kings are missing that could help their offense be more consistent, is to have much better scoring production from their D group. Doughty and Martinez are expected, but Walker may be showing something as well. Those 3 are still not enough though. At the trade deadline or sooner, I would see if the Kings can trade for an offensive d-man who can play top 4 min for Tiffoli+. If the D can score more, then opponents have to respect it and that will open up some space for the forwards.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A lot of Kings players just sitting pretty on big money that Lombardi gave 'em.

Carter and Quick are just about done. That's $11.3 million of almost dead money. Kovalchuk being paid $6 million to keep missing the net! Kopitar was a 70-90 point player under Sutter, Stevens and Willie D. TMac system should allow Kopitar to being closer to a 90 point player. Tiffoli makes $4.6 million, yet he's playing like he wants to get out. Kempe has some good skill, but doesn't seem to know how to translate it into producing points.

The one thing I think the Kings are missing that could help their offense be more consistent, is to have much better scoring production from their D group. Doughty and Martinez are expected, but Walker may be showing something as well. Those 3 are still not enough though. At the trade deadline or sooner, I would see if the Kings can trade for an offensive d-man who can play top 4 min for Tiffoli+. If the D can score more, then opponents have to respect it and that will open up some space for the forwards.

Yeah, the question for some of these guys is going to be how much embarrassment is enough? One season is a writeoff. Beyond that? How are you running into people behind your own net with no pressure? How are you missing the net by 4 feet + from between the hashmarks untouched? If this kind of stuff is going on after ten games...that's not system stuff.

And I noted early in the season the problem is we have a bunch of smallish 'offensive' d-men that aren't offensive enough to be sheltered the way they are. Roy, Walker basically get used like Colin Miller did in Vegas, forcing Doughty and thus Hutton to get used like Vlasic. It's a waste of Doughty's talents and watching Roy and Ryan still get thrashed despite baby gloves is disgusting. Luckily Walker is mostly thriving. If we're going to bury Doughty until the end of his career--and I imagine it'll only get worse if Forbort comes back--they really need to get a Shattenkirk type (Clague?) to take better advantage of those matchups.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Every time we get shutout I'm going to post these names up and remind us of our suckage. :sarcasm:
Kempe, Clifford, Lewis, Iaffalo, Lizotte, Carter, Kovalchuk, Amadio, Wagner, Toffoli. And if it's bold that means they really S*** the bed that game. Oh it's gonna be a fun season. ;)

Lizotte says, "hey! I just got here!"

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Wagner will be sitting, Grundsom in.

They are playing harder than they did at any point last season. Take the positive and look at Saturday. We all expect them to be near the bottom again this season. I'm sure most won't mind if the efforts there most nights.

Reactions: Schmooley

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The PP has been crap for years. No creativity.

Kopi is skilled but doesn’t dominate offensively.

Lack of finishing has been a problem for a long time.

I’m not sure DD is that good at running a PP.

The team is stale. Gonna be a long year. Hoping they can at least improve their numbers and score in some losses.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The PP has been crap for years. No creativity.

Kopi is skilled but doesn’t dominate offensively.

Lack of finishing has been a problem for a long time.

I’m not sure DD is that good at running a PP.

The team is stale. Gonna be a long year. Hoping they can at least improve their numbers and score in some losses.

That's exactly the issue. This team has been stale for years now. Nothing much will change until most of those players are gone.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
That's exactly the issue. This team has been stale for years now. Nothing much will change until most of those players are gone.
It’s sad. I believe in Kopi, Brown, and Doughty. But Carter, Toffoli, and Quick aren’t what they once were. Kovy is a bust at his price tag. The defense is mostly scrubs.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's too bad that it's easy for the coaches to again throw Kovalchuk under the bus who had 5 hits, scoring chances and he's named in post game press conferences but I've yet to hear Brown, Carter or Kopitar's name once. This is a team, not a guy, Kovalchuk is not dragging the team down, it's the whole team that sucks. It's the whole team that stopped training in the off season, the whole team that doesn't go 100% during the game as they live off past success. When's the last time we've seen Brown run somebody? What is he saving his body for if the team is not going to make the playoffs? Where were the supposed heart and soul players-Clifford and Lewis last night? They make 3 million dollars to show the players how to workout and be great off the ice, where were they?

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I wouldn't dismiss 17 yet. I think he still has finishing skills, just didn't have any for this game. Imagine if Carter was the recipient for this cross crease pass, do you think he would have buried it into the net....or just end up smashing the pad of the goalie a bunch of times?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I wouldn't dismiss 17 yet. I think he still has finishing skills, just didn't have any for this game. Imagine if Carter was the recipient for this cross crease pass, do you think he would have buried it into the net....or just end up smashing the pad of the goalie a bunch of times?

I don't know if he would bury it: that is the problem with him. He's a sniper with an improperly calibrated scope so he blows a lot of chances he is supposed to bury. When you couple that with his complete lack of defense, he is a net negative.

It was the same thing last year. Yeah, he can look dangerous with the puck and exciting simply because everyone else on the team is a complete f***ing bore to watch. There just aren't a lot of results: especially with his patented one-timer that was supposed to fix the power play.

Now, do I think he should be tossed under the bus by T-Mac after last night? Absolutely not in light of the fact that others deserve it before Kovy; however, I feel like Kovy is persona non grata with Kings management and they would like him gone yesterday. He's a reminder of a mistake and he is taking the place of someone like Grundstrom because, since they are paying him $6MM, he's going to play. Would not be surprised if there is an effort to get him to want to leave but he has a NMC. Forget for a moment how difficult it would be to trade his cap hit and realize that he doesn't have to leave if he doesn't want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->