GDT: 2019-20 GM#61 LA Kings vs Florida Panthers @7:30pm 2/20/20

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I really hope we are working hard to sign Frk, his chemistry with Vilardi is outstanding and we should be doing everything possible to facilitate Gabe's success.

Is Frk a long term option here? Probably not, but in one NHL game together, they sure look great. I feel like Frk has been in the league for ever, but he's a year and a half younger than Toffoli - at 26, he's not exactly an old hat.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
From a talent perspective I agree, but there’s something about Carter’s body language that screams he’s mailing it in, and that can be worse than being a no talent assclown.

You could say that about everyone on the roster this season besides Kempe, Lizotte, Walker, and Roy, to be honest. And now Frk, Vilardi, and Petersen.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Is Frk a long term option here? Probably not, but in one NHL game together, they sure look great. I feel like Frk has been in the league for ever, but he's a year and a half younger than Toffoli - at 26, he's not exactly an old hat.

They were paired up down in Ontario as well.

Reactions: kilowatt

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's amazing when a team has players who are excited about competing in the NHL, and aren't jaded.

I honestly think injecting Moore, Vilardi, and Frk into the lineup has changed the dynamic, the whole team looked amped up.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
From a talent perspective I agree, but there’s something about Carter’s body language that screams he’s mailing it in, and that can be worse than being a no talent assclown.
But he always looks like he's mailing it in even when he's doing well. Guy's not very animated.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
You could say that about everyone on the roster this season besides Kempe, Lizotte, Walker, and Roy, to be honest. And now Frk, Vilardi, and Petersen.
Sorta. I just get that feeling in the extreme from Carter. Maybe I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bark Madness was his wife’s idea in the first place.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Sorta. I just get that feeling in the extreme from Carter. Maybe I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bark Madness was his wife’s idea in the first place.

For sure. That’s fair. To be honest, I’ve had this idea in my head that some of our young guys might need to be sheltered or mentored, but with Kopitar as our 1C, I’m not even sure that’s the case.

Having young guys come in and infuse the team with energy is such an important dynamic that this team has so sorely missed. There’s something special about a really great player making it onto the roster. When guys like Turcotte and Kaliyev (and Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle/Raymond/etc) make their way onto the team, this will be a really fun team to watch.

Reactions: ru4reals

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
This was the first Kings game this season that I’ve really enjoyed.

Props to Blake for sticking with the plan!

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Just imagine we get Drysdale and he becomes another Doughty or close to him. And Vilardi becomes a Kopi Clone. Then Cal becomes Quick. Okay ahead of myself but dreams just dreams.

giphy.gif

Keep the dream alive buddy.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Great game and couldn’t be happier about Vilardi.

I’ve said all along that once the young talent starts emerging that it will energise DD (and others) and he will look like the guy we remember once again. Tonight did not change my thinking. Once we get more positivity in the line up the remaining vets will be better.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Those are the guys this season was about. Not so much Frk really, since he's had a lot of time to try to make an impact at the NHL level, but Walker and Roy, the Kings need to know if they have anything there. Or do they have to find yet another defenseman or two? None of those guys were part of the winning. None of those guys are who management is talking about when they say they can't compete anymore and have to rebuild.

While it's not fun or enjoyable to watch in any way, the Kings are no longer about Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick, Carter, etc, etc, so if they've all sort of moved on, it makes sense, because the franchise has done the same thing to them. But we all want that. We don't want the team adding to the veterans. Like Luongo, their contracts just suck though, and the only guy that has a former franchise that might take pity on him is Carter. The Kings agreed to pay those guys, so they'll keep doing that, but it does kind of have to suck to have your employer not believe in you. If this was a normal business, they could quit and go somewhere else. If the NHL was a real free market, they would all be in NY or Toronto by now. Thanks to the system being what it is though, they're old guys on a bad team, and who would want to sacrifice their body for someone that doesn't think you have what it takes anymore?

That's not to say the Kings are at fault for all of it. They gave the vets a chance by adding, and the vets all completely failed.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I really hope we are working hard to sign Frk, his chemistry with Vilardi is outstanding and we should be doing everything possible to facilitate Gabe's success.

I'm sure they will. He's an RFA and I don't think he is going to command that much of a raise where the Kings would simply walk away from him.

This could be on of those classic cases of a guy just not getting much of an opportunity and/or being utilized properly with one organization and going to another and becoming a good fit and used to this strengths.

I missed the game, but judging by being up to 15 pages in the game day thread (usually it averages about 5-6) I am assuming Vilardi had a very solid debut.

Boxscore shows 1+1. Good stuff. :thumbu: Keep 'er going Gabe.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I'm sure they will. He's an RFA and I don't think he is going to command that much of a raise where the Kings would simply walk away from him.

This could be on of those classic cases of a guy just not getting much of an opportunity and/or being utilized properly with one organization and going to another and becoming a good fit and used to this strengths.

I missed the game, but judging by being up to 15 pages in the game day thread (usually it averages about 5-6) I am assuming Vilardi had a very solid debut.

Boxscore shows 1+1. Good stuff. :thumbu: Keep 'er going Gabe.
How the heck did he not get an opportunity in Detroit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad