GDT: 2019-20 GM #6 LA Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes @7:30pm 10/15/19

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
TM can call out Kempe, but not Carter? He has one empty net assist only and zero goals or real assists in 6 games and team worst minus 6. And got over 18 minutes last night. Is he looking better than last year? Yes, he's moving better, looks engaged and better effort, but if TM is talking about 'results, expecting more production'...well, Jeff Carter is the poster boy for that. I hope they are expecting more than 1 empty net assist in 6 games from him. At least Kempe has 2 real assists.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I will say the following:
- TMac has instilled new found life and purpose into the team
- Iafallo and Kempe have proven themselves to be bottom 6 players and need to be move accordingly in the lineup
- Our defense is faster but really small and ineffective in the crease
- I love Quick but we need to play the hot goalie and that's Soupy
- Bjornfot has been impressive as a 18YO in the NHL, Anderson has impressd in Camp and now in Onatrio as a 20YO and Walker is coming into his own but needs to be on the bottom pairing
- Amadio, Lizotte and Wagner have stepped up, maybe not getting points but at various times they have been driving plays, sniping shots, defending and creating TOs
- Kopi, Brown, Kovy and Doughty have looked good
- Hutton and Ryan are earning their place in the lineup
- Carter is starting to show some pep

Grundstrom-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Amadio-Wagner
Iafallo-Lizotte-Carter
Clifford-Kempe-Lewis

Hutton-Doughty... Anderson-Doughty
Martinez-Walker ... Hutton-Walker
Ryan-Roy... Ryan-Martinez

Our Defense is in such bad shape.. We sorely need Forbort...(and somewhere in America Sol's head just exploded):nod:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
TM can call out Kempe, but not Carter? He has one empty net assist only and zero goals or real assists in 6 games and team worst minus 6. And got over 18 minutes last night. Is he looking better than last year? Yes, he's moving better, looks engaged and better effort, but if TM is talking about 'results, expecting more production'...well, Jeff Carter is the poster boy for that. I hope they are expecting more than 1 empty net assist in 6 games from him. At least Kempe has 2 real assists.
I dunno, why beat up on a vet who physically just doesn't have it anymore.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

You don't 'call out' a dude who has proven to be a consistent goal scorer in the NHL, a two-time Stanley Cup champ, a gold medal winner...

The guy is 34, he knows what to do...he doesn't need a coach telling him that. Kempe on the other hand has won nothing and proven nothing in this league....get real.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
he was asked about Kempe not Carter

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Campbell better play the next 2, D looked better because you had a goalie who actually made some great stops. Still the same set of bodies in front of the net minder, against a good offensive team.

Ryan has a nice shot from the point, maybe some decent PP is in order

The PP in general was a hot mess, Carolina was pressuring all over, the Kings PP of the last couple of years, Kings have no answer for teams that really pressure them on the PP.
Only time we can get any kind of a shot is against those teams that sit back.

Kings already promoting the future on the post game we had all kinds of stats on the kids that now reside in the organization. 6 games into the season. We all know where this year will most likely go.

Its okay, there was no expectations, actually its been awhile since I have been so relaxed watching the Kings

I just hope come trade deadline guys like Kovy, Lewis, and a few others have some decent stats, to garner some value.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was 2-2-0 the high water mark for the season??

Could be. (or... more than likely) :mad:

I don't think so. Look at the teams we've played.

Edmonton 5-1: 1st in the conference.
Carolina 6-1: 1st in the league
Vancouver 3-2, but 2-3 games behind everyone else, points percentage up with the conference leaders.

We beat Nashville, a legit contender who is tied for 2nd in the conference and just whooped VGK 5-2, and Calgary, who despite their faults is a current Wild Card team.

All of this while getting league-worst goaltending and special teams and figuring out who should be doing what as well as a new system with multiple back-to-backs and other teams' home openers.

And all the while it's been mostly fun and we're literally a top-tier possession team (vs. powerhouses no less), just a literal bottom of the barrel defensive/goaltending/special teams team for now.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I don't know why everybody is so upset by Iafallo skating on the top line. He was there for Kopitar's career season and thus far this year both him and Brown are off to fantastic starts. It feels like people are just obsessed with the outdated view of a Scoring Line 1, Scoring Line 2, Checking Line and an energy/grit line along with a clear gap of a top 6 and a bottom 6. Modern successful teams distribute their offense to all lines and focus on line chemistry rather than overloading one dominant line. Iafallo is a perfect complimentary player for Brown and Kopitar, he does all of the dirty work and is not a liability in any zone. You don't need 40+ points from him, you need him supporting Brown and Kopitar so they can find success. This also allows the scoring forward you would replace him with to produce on lines when Kopitar and Brown are not on the ice.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't think so. Look at the teams we've played.

Edmonton 5-1: 1st in the conference.
Carolina 6-1: 1st in the league
Vancouver 3-2, but 2-3 games behind everyone else, points percentage up with the conference leaders.

We beat Nashville, a legit contender who is tied for 2nd in the conference and just whooped VGK 5-2, and Calgary, who despite their faults is a current Wild Card team.

All of this while getting league-worst goaltending and special teams and figuring out who should be doing what as well as a new system with multiple back-to-backs and other teams' home openers.

And all the while it's been mostly fun and we're literally a top-tier possession team (vs. powerhouses no less), just a literal bottom of the barrel defensive/goaltending/special teams team for now.
I still think we've probably seen .500 for the last time this year, which is fine. Time will tell.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still think we've probably seen .500 for the last time this year, which is fine. Time will tell.

Possibly, but it still needs context.

I do think we surge and hit over 500 at least for a bit.

Especially with the way the NHL standings work and depending on how you count OTL/SOL. Most teams last year in the bottom rung were only a couple of games under W/L .500.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i think kempe is one of the players who actually deserves a public challenge like that, he just got his contract and he needs to step it up if he expects a big ufa contract

challenge him and give him the opportunity

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't know why everybody is so upset by Iafallo skating on the top line. He was there for Kopitar's career season and thus far this year both him and Brown are off to fantastic starts. It feels like people are just obsessed with the outdated view of a Scoring Line 1, Scoring Line 2, Checking Line and an energy/grit line along with a clear gap of a top 6 and a bottom 6. Modern successful teams distribute their offense to all lines and focus on line chemistry rather than overloading one dominant line. Iafallo is a perfect complimentary player for Brown and Kopitar, he does all of the dirty work and is not a liability in any zone. You don't need 40+ points from him, you need him supporting Brown and Kopitar so they can find success. This also allows the scoring forward you would replace him with to produce on lines when Kopitar and Brown are not on the ice.

Iafallo on the top line is a problem if the team was a contender. Since it isn't, nobody should be upset.

If not Iafallo, who are you putting up there? I think there is a group on here that would like to see Kovalchuk up there with him but the two of them are horrible together.

I do agree that Iafallo is not a Top 6 player and continue to use Lewis as a comparable. Kings are going to need to produce a LW from within to play with Kopitar. The answer is hopefully Kaliyev but he is still probably not looking at being a regular player until 2022. By then, does it matter if he is Kopitar's LW or should he maybe be some other young player's LW? So much can happen between now and then but, for this season and next, LW1 is going to be lacking.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Why would it be a problem? Do you think he is holding the line back?

Because he isn't a legit Top 6 winger and definitely not a first line talent.

Is he holding the line back? Depends on how you look at it. Put a true #1LW on that line and they would score more so yes, he is holding the line back. Is he holding the line back when looked through the lens of if the Kings put any other guys on the roster up there instead? No he is not.

He does some nice stuff but he is not a finisher or exceptional facilitator. He is good at hounding the puck, a trait that helps on the first line since both Kopitar and Brown aren't necessarily going gangbusters into the corners to fish out pucks. While it is true that he played the majority of Kopitar's best season as his LW, he also only had 25 points. That season is all on Kopitar simply beasting and asserting himself on the ice. He's gone back to being Perimitar which will probably lead to 70 points but, as we saw in 2018, this team needs him to put up 90+ just to make the playoffs.

I don't dislike Iafallo one bit. Nice player and one of (the only?) feather in Blake's cap as it relates to the NHL product since he took over. You win games in this league with guys like him, but its with guys like him contributing on a really good 3rd line--or even 4th line--where he can get much more favorable defensive match-ups.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Because he isn't a legit Top 6 winger and definitely not a first line talent.

Is he holding the line back? Depends on how you look at it. Put a true #1LW on that line and they would score more so yes, he is holding the line back. Is he holding the line back when looked through the lens of if the Kings put any other guys on the roster up there instead? No he is not.

He does some nice stuff but he is not a finisher or exceptional facilitator. He is good at hounding the puck, a trait that helps on the first line since both Kopitar and Brown aren't necessarily going gangbusters into the corners to fish out pucks. While it is true that he played the majority of Kopitar's best season as his LW, he also only had 25 points. That season is all on Kopitar simply beasting and asserting himself on the ice. He's gone back to being Perimitar which will probably lead to 70 points but, as we saw in 2018, this team needs him to put up 90+ just to make the playoffs.

I don't dislike Iafallo one bit. Nice player and one of (the only?) feather in Blake's cap as it relates to the NHL product since he took over. You win games in this league with guys like him, but its with guys like him contributing on a really good 3rd line--or even 4th line--where he can get much more favorable defensive match-ups.

Kopitar is currently on pace for 27 goals and 109 points. I think calling him Perimitar so far this year is kind of garbage.

Iafallo is a fantastic complement. Yeah maybe in a perfect world we get a 'true' top-six guy there like some of the powerhouse teams do but there was a 30 point gap between Stamkos and Kucherov and another 50 point gap between them and any other forward, so maybe not.

I also think 1. we don't know what he is for sure yet--Iafallo was one of only two Kings players who improved their production (and pretty largely too) last season, he could end up being that guy, 50+ points next to Kopitar and Brown is Williams territory and 2. as you point out there's no real 'better' option right now so no harm, no foul. He's creative, tenacious, and pretty speedy, which will all be important as Brown and Kopitar age, too.

Reactions: crassbonanza

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kopitar is currently on pace for 27 goals and 109 points. I think calling him Perimitar so far this year is kind of garbage.

Iafallo is a fantastic complement. Yeah maybe in a perfect world we get a 'true' top-six guy there like some of the powerhouse teams do but there was a 30 point gap between Stamkos and Kucherov and another 50 point gap between them and any other forward, so maybe not.

I also think 1. we don't know what he is for sure yet--Iafallo was one of only two Kings players who improved their production (and pretty largely too) last season, he could end up being that guy, 50+ points next to Kopitar and Brown is Williams territory and 2. as you point out there's no real 'better' option right now so no harm, no foul. He's creative, tenacious, and pretty speedy, which will all be important as Brown and Kopitar age, too.

If Iafallo had hands he'd be a terrific complement to the top line but he simply does not!
This guy improved his production because Kopi has created chances and even hand delivered a few which Iafallo still misses with regularity. Dont misread or misinterpret Iafallo's uptick in scoring as legitimate improvement, The kid would be awesome on the 3rd/4th line.
Better options in my book would be Grundstrom, Toffoli, maybe even Wagner who is a faster, bigger, more physical and better scoring version of Iafallo..

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Iafallo had hands he'd be a terrific complement to the top line but he simply does not!
This guy improved his production because Kopi has created chances and even hand delivered a few which Iafallo still misses with regularity. Dont misread or misinterpret Iafallo's uptick in scoring as legitimate improvement, The kid would be awesome on the 3rd/4th line.
Better options in my book would be Grundstrom, Toffoli, maybe even Wagner who is a faster, bigger, more physical and better scoring version of Iafallo..

Kopitar's production dropped from 92 to 60, Iafallo's production hopped from 9 goals 25 points to 15 goals 33 points.

He's now a third year pro who ripped it up in college as a late bloomer too, I don't understand how everyone wants to put a ceiling on him before this year is over.

While I agree with both you and @BigKing that in a perfect world he'd be on the third line or so, we're not in a perfect world, and he's certainly not hurting the top line, and I'd argue he's helping it a lot more than he's getting credit for.

(I would also follow whoever's suggestion it was in putting Grundstrom a tryout up there too)

Reactions: BigKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kopitar - 117 faceoffs, 53%
Carter - 83 faceoffs, 53%
Kempe - 44 faceoffs, 38.6%
Amadio - 69 faceoffs, 37.7%

Through six games:

FOWFOLFO%
Kopitar624756.9
Carter433853.1