GDT: 2019-20 GM#27 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @7:00pm 11/30/19

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That last second scoring chance by Scheifele was completely Doughty's fault. Drew skated away from the front of the net leaving it completely wide open. What the hell was he thinking?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That last second scoring chance by Scheifele was completely Doughty's fault. Drew skated away from the front of the net leaving it completely wide open. What the hell was he thinking?
ruffled by the noncall, went to get revenge

justdoughtythings

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
my god, they refused to call anything tonight, especially the final 12 seconds. someone got pick right before Wagner went after the puck, the he got tripped as clear a day.

Solid save at the end there. take the win , and some rest after playing 3 in 4.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
No that last second chance was completely the refs fault for failing to call multiple obvious penalties because he felt sorry they have to fly back to Winnipeg tonight.

Reactions: HookKing

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just because the refs missed a call doesn't mean you skate away from your position and leave your goaltender alone.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
this. there was no play there. the middle was covered.
i mean he probably could've taken a shot, especially given that brossoit wasn't exactly a shining beacon of confidence but i can see how he thought the door closed on the shot play

regardless i don't think that's a play worthy of singling out the way he did for a comment like that

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Hope scouts were watching tonight, gotta figure Campbell and Carter trade values moving up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Covering the low slot guy that was wide open instead of the high slot guy who was left wide open.

Plus he just got completely blasted out of the play so I can understand why he was going to go the guy right by the net who was uncovered instead of the guy in the mid/high slot who could have been covered by any of the other 4 players had the puck carrier not been tripped after the interference

what a weird thing to focus on when like 5 other things went wrong

Edit: here you go, 3 Jets to the front, Doughty there all by himself.

Either the other D man needs to back off and help or Wagner or another forward could have sunk to the middle but really that whole play could/should have been an easy clear. HOpe for the best plan for the worst I guess and maybe Drew could have spun around and tried to make a play, but shrug

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Anyway, glad to see them gut that one out with the odds against them, opponent who had won 11 of 14, as well. Keeps showing us how good this team is at home, and they'd better figure out the road quickly or the season will be over in December.

Porkins shows real growth game to game and hope he's earned some time up the lineup but it's really hard to displace anyone right now. Maybe swap him with Iafallo for a bit, or even Toffoli, given Carter is flying and Amadio can distribute. Just to see what's possible. Dude has absolute hands in close and he's getting more confident using them and his body.

Same with Lizotte but can't say anything about him anymore that hasn't been said. Likewise with Walker, though him coming off the line and dangling three dudes before a shot attempt was a new wrinkle. And Kempe digging in hard on the defensive side is really nice to see, that overcommitted backcheck is at least not a mistake of effort, and he had a great PK before that. Lots of youth growth.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Covering the low slot guy that was wide open instead of the high slot guy who was left wide open.

Plus he just got completely blasted out of the play so I can understand why he was going to go the guy right by the net who was uncovered instead of the guy in the mid/high slot who could have been covered by any of the other 4 players had the puck carrier not been tripped after the interference

what a weird thing to focus on when like 5 other things went wrong

Edit: here you go, 3 Jets to the front, Doughty there all by himself.

Either the other D man needs to back off and help or Wagner or another forward could have sunk to the middle but really that whole play could/should have been an easy clear. HOpe for the best plan for the worst I guess and maybe Drew could have spun around and tried to make a play, but shrug

There was no reason for him to leave the front of the net in that situation. It's basic fundamentals.

If the puck squirts free to the "low slot guy" (who wasn't in the slot) you play your angels, take away the passing lane, and let Campbell take his potential shot.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Anyway, glad to see them gut that one out with the odds against them, opponent who had won 11 of 14, as well. Keeps showing us how good this team is at home, and they'd better figure out the road quickly or the season will be over in December.

Porkins shows real growth game to game and hope he's earned some time up the lineup but it's really hard to displace anyone right now. Maybe swap him with Iafallo for a bit, or even Toffoli, given Carter is flying and Amadio can distribute. Just to see what's possible. Dude has absolute hands in close and he's getting more confident using them and his body.

Same with Lizotte but can't say anything about him anymore that hasn't been said. Likewise with Walker, though him coming off the line and dangling three dudes before a shot attempt was a new wrinkle. And Kempe digging in hard on the defensive side is really nice to see, that overcommitted backcheck is at least not a mistake of effort, and he had a great PK before that. Lots of youth growth.

Is the season not already over? We’re the second worst team in the league and it’s December. Please don’t say St. Louis.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There was no reason for him to leave the front of the net in that situation. It's basic fundamentals.

If the puck squirts free to the "low slot guy" (who wasn't in the slot) you play your angels, take away the passing lane, and let Campbell take his potential shot.

I still don't understand how he can take the blame for the whole play regardless. He sat on that guy so if the puck squirted to him, he couldn't make a play. He shouldn't have to play angles to block a passing lane, because the "high slot guy" wasn't in the slot either--he wasn't even at the top of the circles yet! "he didn't play that perfectly" is arguable anyway and a loooong way from "doughty is at fault here." Especially given you're saying to just give the guy right by the net the open shot, and doubly so since Doughty ended up having to look at 3 Jets by himself.

Is the season not already over? We’re the second worst team in the league and it’s December. Please don’t say St. Louis.

Have you seen Detroit? They're making us look like the dynasty canadiens right now.

I guess what i mean is this is a playoff point pace home team and a legendary futility road team. No one can really be too sure what they are. But I'd like to at least be in the playoff chase till January, given it's only a couple of points in front of us anyway in this sad sack conference.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
i mean he probably could've taken a shot, especially given that brossoit wasn't exactly a shining beacon of confidence but i can see how he thought the door closed on the shot play

regardless i don't think that's a play worthy of singling out the way he did for a comment like that

yeah, just a troll being a troll.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Pro only had one goal...maybe not enough to keep him in the lineup and his 8 minutes TOI. I think he knows he must score at least one a game and play mistake free hockey to stay in. He has three points (2-1=3) in the last four games he’s played...like 8 TOI with Clifford /Lewis, etc. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Just keep playing competitive hockey please. Win or lose thats all I want.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Have you seen Detroit? They're making us look like the dynasty canadiens right now.

I guess what i mean is this is a playoff point pace home team and a legendary futility road team. No one can really be too sure what they are. But I'd like to at least be in the playoff chase till January, given it's only a couple of points in front of us anyway in this sad sack conference.

Yeah, they're closer to a playoff spot than they are to Detroit. Of course more teams between a playoff spot than Detroit. Collectively better earlier in the year, but the Pacific, again, isn't great. 6-3-1(8 home games) without Kovalchuk. With the road performance especially, it seems exceedingly unlikely, but if they can get 13 points every 10 games, they'll end the year with 96 points.

3 of the next 4, and 4 of the next 6, against the Pacific, all on the road though. 4-0 at home against the Central, but their only home game in Dec against that division is on the 23rd, against a team that doesn't seem to miss Tarasenko. If they can get 15 points in the 15 Dec games, while I can't say that would be good enough, it might not completely bury them. If the players on the roster have any ideas, they have no margin for error. They almost have to win Monday, if for no other reason than it's against a team directly ahead of them in the standings.

It's a must-win month, but at least it starts early. A bad first week kills it almost immediately. Unless they turn around and run the table the rest of the month after the 7th.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Everything goes like planned.

win, loose, loose, win, loose, loose, win.

top 5 pick at the end [Laffy, Byfield, Holtz, Drysdale, Rossi] but with much improvement from last season.

Next season we sneak in, with an incredible pipeline of prospects.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Pro only had one goal...maybe not enough to keep him in the lineup and his 8 minutes TOI. I think he knows he must score at least one a game and play mistake free hockey to stay in. He has three points (2-1=3) in the last four games he’s played...like 8 TOI with Clifford /Lewis, etc. Pretty amazing.
I really hope your kidding?
Score one a game huh.. wow

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
What hockey school teaches a D to cover the point man on a 6-5 . That was Wagner's man and he didn't read the play fast enough. Got got in no mans land. At 7 sec in the vid Lizzote back out to cover for a pass to the RD(off camera) Wagner should of slid over to the middle slot to cover the pass to the LD. Never once did he look over his shoulder to read the play. He was just focused on the board battle with 3 other kings already there. In the end it was a break down because they lost a board battle. Doughty had nothing to do with this break down.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What hockey school teaches a D to cover the point man on a 6-5 . That was Wagner's man and he didn't read the play fast enough. Got got in no mans land. At 7 sec in the vid Lizzote back out to cover for a pass to the RD(off camera) Wagner should of slid over to the middle slot to cover the pass to the LD. Never once did he look over his shoulder to read the play. He was just focused on the board battle with 3 other kings already there. In the end it was a break down because they lost a board battle. Doughty had nothing to do with this break down.

Doughty had a bird's eye view. He, as a top defensive player, an an elite athlete with world class hand-eye coordination, has to see 4 teammates around the puck. Wagner messed up, but that doesn't mean Doughty gets to mess up too. He didn't look over his shoulder either. He got caught up in his emotion instead of playing the game. The guy Doughty was covering wasn't even facing Campbell. If he stays where he was at the 5/6 second mark, at worst it's a 2-on-1 from very close in.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Jets have 2 players you need to worry about-Laine and Schiefle. Leaving Schiefle alone in front is like playing the 92-93 Penguins and forgetting about Jagr or Lemieux in front. It was a low IQ play by Doughty and thankfully he had a team mate who stepped up and bailed him out.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
One player has to cover the front of the net in the defensive zone. It's literally one of the first things you learn when playing hockey. It doesn't matter if a ref missed a call, or if everybody else is out of position; you cover the front of the net.

@Raccoon Jesus there were other things that lead up to the scoring chance which weren't on Drew, but him leaving the front is what allowed Scheifle to walk in on Campbell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad