GDT: 2019-20 GM#2 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames@6:00pm 10/8/19

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Some observations from the Dome last night
1) Lizotte impressed me
2) MacDermid did not. I get his role and what he was trying to do but he needs to pick his spot better. I like that he went after MT but taking a penalty there was stupid and could have got Calgary back in a 1-0 game. Than he goes after Lucic and gets a quite building back into it.
3) Been going to Flames vs Kings at the dome for decades and this was easily the worst experience fan wise. People were straight up dicks and I thought I was going to get in a fight last night. Not sure if it is because of the Drew vs Mathew thing or what
4) the drew vs mathew rivalry is awesome
5) drew's post game interview was one of the best things ever. Made the drive home sweet
6) Roy still looked bad to me. yes he blocked alot of shot but I would rather have a player who can steal the puck for a break out, when you block it leads to a 50/50 battle and often the goalie has committed to the shot
7) Kovalchuk looked really good. Even back checking from time to time.
8) Clifford also impressed me
9) MT took a lot of late runs at drew. Drew acknowledged this and seems ok with it

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Defense as a whole was much better, Roy included.

Goal #1 was an uncharacteristically bad giveaway by Kopitar
Goal #2 was a bad rebound from Campbell and bad coverage by Amadio
Goal #3 should have been called back

Biggest issue with team, and something McLellan has not been known for, is managing emotions. During Sutter, Kings were always business as usual and methodical. Kings get some adversity then start playing on their heels.

Some of that is age and experience.

Kempe is still the weakest player. More so than Carter. I'm sure McLellan is using him to figure things out, but he is not fitting in.

If Bjornfot is just going to get less than 10 minutes of ice time (which was also sheltered), he would be better served playing in Sweden and not burning a year.

So should Kovalchuk's , so it's a wash.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So should Kovalchuk's , so it's a wash.
depends on the angle on both.
The tying goal was great hand eye coordination and was not hit in whit ha high stick but may have been knocked down (or knocked lower) with a high stick. Which if missed I do not think was reviewable.
Kovalchuk's was reviewed and stood, which says something I think.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Awesome game.

Pretty great effort from all the forwards. Except Carter. Lol.

I like the overall ice time distribution so far, especially the defence. Doughty in the low 20s again is very impressive. Kempe and Amadio both being used pretty evenly with Lizotte having an effective 10ish minutes to start both games.

I’ll definitely take a slice of MacDermid in games like this with Tkachuk and that goof Bennett screwing around out there. Helped shelter Bjornfot as well. Good lineup decisions all around by TM.

Not sure how Carter missed Kovalchuk on that 2-1.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They actually reviewed Kovalchuk's. Refs missed a blatant high stick and McLellan didn't risk a challenge. So no, it's not a wash.

I don't think you can challenge that a puck was knocked down with a high stick. Only knocked in, which by that time it was below the bar.

Could be wrong.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Bjornfot was always going back before the contract went into motion. They are rewarding him for his camp so don't worry about his minutes. This is just development stuff. Awesome for him to get this experience and then go play big minutes back in Sweden.

Reactions: tny760

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't think you can challenge that a puck was knocked down with a high stick. Only knocked in, which by that time it was below the bar.

Could be wrong.

New challenge rule allows coaches to challenge for any potential whistle in the offensive zone (the first high stick). But if the coach is wrong, it's a penalty.

Reactions: mbar and YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
New challenge rule allows coaches to challenge for any potential whistle in the offensive zone (the first high stick). But if the coach is wrong, it's a penalty.

Thanks, wasn't sure. I knew they made changes but was not sure what changes they were.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Best 1st period they've played in more than a year. Just outstanding. They still have room for improvement, but dang it was fun to watch that 1st period.

Let's hope they can carry it over to tonight. Curious to see how they play after an emotional OT win. It's a good early season test for this team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I for one noticed Roy several times last night. Standing up Gadreau at the blueline in the first. Simply mauling that guy off the puck behind the goal line before fetching it and starting the breakout in the 2nd. Many blocked shots. Little things like that that added up to make for an impressive evening.

That was Walker standing up Gaudreau twice, unless Roy did it once as well. Wouldn't surprise me, we kinda punked Johnny hockey last night.

Roy blocked some important shots because he was out of position on coverage. There were at least two where I thought were going in that Roy blocked, but the shots only happened because he was 10 feet away from his coverage.

I'm still wholly unimpressed and wondering what everyone sees in Roy that they don't in Walker. Both guys have good/big play capability but they're ticking time bombs.

Reactions: Reaper45 and YP44

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
That was Walker standing up Gaudreau twice, unless Roy did it once as well. Wouldn't surprise me, we kinda punked Johnny hockey last night.

Roy blocked some important shots because he was out of position on coverage. There were at least two where I thought were going in that Roy blocked, but the shots only happened because he was 10 feet away from his coverage.

I'm still wholly unimpressed and wondering what everyone sees in Roy that they don't in Walker. Both guys have good/big play capability but they're ticking time bombs.

I have been much more impressed with Walker than Roy going back to last year, but I'm still pretty sure neither of them should be on our blueline next year given the potential prospects we have. Unless either takes a huge step forward, I haven't seen much room for growth out of their ticking time bomb status as you put it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I have been much more impressed with Walker than Roy going back to last year, but I'm still pretty sure neither of them should be on our blueline next year given the potential prospects we have. Unless either takes a huge step forward, I haven't seen much room for growth out of their ticking time bomb status as you put it.

That's pretty much it. Neither guy should really be there. Would be nice if either develops but I'm not understanding the disproportionate praise for and elevation of Roy.

Reactions: BringTheReign

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Oh and Quick would be eviscerated here if he let in that second goal. Just saying.

of course he would and he should be

so your point is not coming across

if Campbell let's in 1-2-3 bad goals in a 10 game span, Quick will double that in the same span

Bandit, we all love Quick, but the back injuries, groin pulls, lack of confidence through body language (it's really a thing google body language and psychology if you don't believe me) makes him 3rd on the goalie depth chart with the Kings

tough to swallow pills i know it hurts but let's ignore this debate. Just like time confirmed it for you the past few seasons; let time (through stats, results, team morale, and other intangibles) tell it to you again this season

maybe before his contract ends you'll concur

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Bjornfot was always going back before the contract went into motion. They are rewarding him for his camp so don't worry about his minutes. This is just development stuff. Awesome for him to get this experience and then go play big minutes back in Sweden.

I expect Mikey to come up when that happens...
Anderson-Doughty:sarcasm:

Reactions: jfont

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Speaking of the tying goal, I loved how TMac decided not to challenge it, tough to overturn that type of play and I don't know if the Kings get to OT if they have to kill a delay of game penalty there in a 3-3 game. Taking the point and trying to win the gimmick was the smart in-game decision.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Speaking of the tying goal, I loved how TMac decided not to challenge it, tough to overturn that type of play and I don't know if the Kings get to OT if they have to kill a delay of game penalty there in a 3-3 game. Taking the point and trying to win the gimmick was the smart in-game decision.
agreed. even if LA loses in OT it was the right call.
Luckily Bennett is an idiot

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Sorry, but you are just flat out wrong. Roy was terrific along the wall, blocked a ton of shots (how anyone could think you are out of position by being in the shooting lane is beyond ridiculous), and broke up multiple attacks at his blueline. He launched the counter attack that led to Kempe hitting the post by stripping a Flame and getting the puck straight up ice.

He did everything you could ask of him and he did it well.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That's pretty much it. Neither guy should really be there. Would be nice if either develops but I'm not understanding the disproportionate praise for and elevation of Roy.
Just because you don't WANT to see it doesn't mean its out of proportion. His coach praised him after a game in which he played well and you are ragging on the guy?

He is a good player worthy of regular NHL minutes who is still finding his way into the league. He will make mistakes, and if getting burned by McDavid on opening night is not tolerable, maybe you should reconsider your expectations.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
3) Been going to Flames vs Kings at the dome for decades and this was easily the worst experience fan wise. People were straight up dicks and I thought I was going to get in a fight last night. Not sure if it is because of the Drew vs Mathew thing or what
This saddens me.
Any kind of Sportsmanship (Fansmanship?) is gone from sports. Too many fans have become sore winners and losers.
I am sure if the Kings lost last night, that you would have never heard the end of it.

Also- I am surprised that we can say dick here.

Reactions: 21Dog

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Just because you don't WANT to see it doesn't mean its out of proportion. His coach praised him after a game in which he played well and you are ragging on the guy?

He is a good player worthy of regular NHL minutes who is still finding his way into the league. He will make mistakes, and if getting burned by McDavid on opening night is not tolerable, maybe you should reconsider your expectations.
Maybe you should reconsider your expectations

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This saddens me.
Any kind of Sportsmanship (Fansmanship?) is gone from sports. Too many fans have become sore winners and losers.
I am sure if the Kings lost last night, that you would have never heard the end of it.

Also- I am surprised that we can say dick here.

I typed Dicks and it was fine?

Most fans are good and take a good natures approach to making fun of me. That is fun. It crosses a line when they get into personal bubble and start beaking my wife. As a Calgarian it really was disappointing and not something I think represents the city well.
if the kings lost (which has happened plenty at the Dome) usually fans are pretty decent with their chirps. The shocking ones last night were after the first period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad