GDT: 2019-20 GM#19 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @7:30pm 11/14/19

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Everyone please, let’s give a moment of silence to peter james bond II, this is DEVASTATING.

Indeed...I am glad Kempe scored, but I did wince when he did. I suppose if the Kings finish 20th, they can win the lottery....if many do a prayer circle on lottery day.
#circleprayer4lafreniere Keep lucky Luc far from going to it.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
If you worry about the lottery in november, than something is wrong with you.

Sheesh.

Come back to me in february.
The points you don't get in Nov/Dec puts you in line for a higher percentage to get a better draft choice in the summer. Lets not bank too many points and we won't need to lose 10 in a row in Mar/Apr.
But glad to see the boys beat Detroit and quiet the fans as Staples.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The points you don't get in Nov/Dec puts you in line for a higher percentage to get a better draft choice in the summer. Lets not bank too many points and we won't need to lose 10 in a row in Mar/Apr.
No kidding.

So lets start talking about losing in November. If I had that attitude, you can carry me away at the end of the season.

I hope people realize that how much you suck, you still win here and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingsFan7824

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

There's a fundamental problem with depending on something the Kings don't have and can't control.

The system is in place so teams CAN'T depend on a top 1 or 2 pick.

Kings need to get younger and better. They don't "need" to lose.

One would think falling 3 spots after being the second worst team would alter this mentality. And the lottery winners were the 3rd, 7th, and 12th worst teams six months ago.

I understand better odds, higher picks, etc. But one player won't fix the Kings.

Reactions: bland and LAKings88

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s funny, there’s complaints when guys play bad, complaints when they score and cause us to win, it’s bad we suck, bad when we don’t... so many people just love being doomsayers.

“We’re all dooooomed....”

Rooks

Apr 16, 2019
I mean I get it, it's definitely beneficial for us to have the best chances at the lottery. There's no way around that, it is good to see the occasional win though. Especially at home, fans still need something to cheer for during the season. But I'm definitely on the we need to tank this boat. Sucks for now, but next year when turcotte, bjornfot, 2020 draft pick, etc. are playing the season becomes way more hopeful. November or not, this isn't a team that can compete right now.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Honestly, I hope TM keeps playing Kempe. Not because I want the team to lose, but because I want Kempe to improve. This is the time to do it, not many young players get the opportunity to work it out on the ice, and he is still a young player with upside. TM and Blake are going to do what they can to get him going this season, or else he ends up just like Pearson. Might as well give the kid the chance because he just might surprise us. If not, then we can part ways for something as some team would definitely roll the dice on him.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
Because there's no guarantee of winning the lottery.

We literally experienced falling 3 spots 6 months ago.
And we got Turcotte. Because the worst we could do was the fifth pick. Winning the lottery is part of it, but not dropping too far is another consideration. Not saying you have to root for losses, but getting more high picks is how this is going to get turned around.

And yes, Byfield or Lafreniere could be good enough to change everything if the lottery went the right way.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And we got Turcotte. Because the worst we could do was the fifth pick. Winning the lottery is part of it, but not dropping too far is another consideration. Not saying you have to root for losses, but getting more high picks is how this is going to get turned around.

And yes, Byfield or Lafreniere could be good enough to change everything if the lottery went the right way.

It's so shitty that low-placed teams have this kind of nervousness while black hole teams either stay put or get better. I like the current system in so many ways but there's gotta be some way to get out of the shitty feeling of being a last-place-ish team and watching someone placed middle of the league jump over you to win the lottery. Like I said before, so far no big deal, but can you imagine if the Kings won the McDavid draft?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

My point was the lottery is out of the Kings control.

They need to get younger and improve/develop their youth.

You can't expect the team to get younger and better while expecting them to be the worst in the league.

As for Lafreniere/Byfield, I'm a prospect nut. I look forward to writing articles on them for MM later on in the season. But drop them in this roster, and the Kings won't be contenders tomorrow.

There are plenty of other promising players in the draft class.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
why not both

This.

I will cease from daily / weekly lottery visions.
This is very good and a playoff team: Turcotte / Kaliyev / Vilardi / Jad / Kupari / Anderson / Bjornfot / Petersen
This is a possible Cup contender though: Lafreniere / Turcotte / Kaliyev / Vilardi / Jad / Kupari / Anderson / Bjornfot / Petersen
I want the latter.

Reactions: Rooks

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
My point was the lottery is out of the Kings control.

They need to get younger and improve/develop their youth.

You can't expect the team to get younger and better while expecting them to be the worst in the league.

As for Lafreniere/Byfield, I'm a prospect nut. I look forward to writing articles on them for MM later on in the season. But drop them in this roster, and the Kings won't be contenders tomorrow.

There are plenty of other promising players in the draft class.

Yes, I get your point. Finishing last does not guarantee AL or QB, so it doesn't matter.

My point is that finishing last guarantees the 4th pick at worse. If we had Seider or Podkolzin instead of Turcotte, our fortunes would be much dimmer. So finishing bottom two capped the worst-case scenario.

Kopitar and Brown went through years of being on a bottom-feeder, and still manager to turn it around and win two cups. Getting a top pick is more crucial than Grundstrom and Wagner winning some meaningless games.

And maybe the Kings wouldn't be instant contenders with one of the top two, but if you add one of those guys to Turcotte Vilardi Kaliyev Bjornfot etc, things could turn around much much quicker.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, I get your point. Finishing last does not guarantee AL or QB, so it doesn't matter.

My point is that finishing last guarantees the 4th pick at worse. If we had Seider or Podkolzin instead of Turcotte, our fortunes would be much dimmer. So finishing bottom two capped the worst-case scenario.

Kopitar and Brown went through years of being on a bottom-feeder, and still manager to turn it around and win two cups. Getting a top pick is more crucial than Grundstrom and Wagner winning some meaningless games.

And maybe the Kings wouldn't be instant contenders with one of the top two, but if you add one of those guys to Turcotte Vilardi Kaliyev Bjornfot etc, things could turn around much much quicker.

So do you want the Kings to get younger and better or do you want them to be the worst team in the league? Because both aren't going to happen.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
So do you want the Kings to get younger and better or do you want them to be the worst team in the league? Because both aren't going to happen.
I'm saying avoiding the black hole is the single most important thing this season. Young players can take steps and we can still lose games. But the next core of the Kings isn't even on the team yet. They are in Ontario, college, and juniors. It may be depressing but I doubt any wins from 2007-2008 can be cited in the growth that led Kopitar and Brown to be cup winners. But being very bad that season got the Kings a generational defenseman.

It may be depressing admitting this in November but it's the truth. I'm still watching every game looking for progress from Walker Amadio Grundstrom and Wagner. But adding a foundational piece is more important to future success.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
It's far more important that the core players who will be around on this team elevate their play and learn to play the system than it is to just keep losing games and compiling players. Last year was enough of a lottery lesson in that the chances of getting #1 are just a crap shoot.

The Kings are going to be a Top 5 Draft pick team in terms of the final standings. The lottery will determine things from there. There is no denying that. They have one of the best farm systems in hockey right now and it will get even better with a Top 10 pick.

I winced all last year when they would win games after January and it really became depressing when they fell in the lottery. I just want to see progression on the ice right now and also see our kids in Ontario get better.

Reactions: Choralone

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I want them to do their best to win, improve as individuals and as a team, and let the chips fall where they may. They are still going to get a good position in the draft. The goal would be to continue to move pieces we don't need going forward, and getting additional draft picks in return.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Honestly, I hope TM keeps playing Kempe. Not because I want the team to lose, but because I want Kempe to improve. This is the time to do it, not many young players get the opportunity to work it out on the ice, and he is still a young player with upside. TM and Blake are going to do what they can to get him going this season, or else he ends up just like Pearson. Might as well give the kid the chance because he just might surprise us. If not, then we can part ways for something as some team would definitely roll the dice on him.
Everyone was patting him on the back after the goal. It was really weighing on him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad