2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seems far less likely than Kreider, but I like the idea, too.

Acquiring Anderson would more likely mean we have to trade an RFA this summer. But I mean, too many good players isn't a bad problem to have. If Anderson had a big playoff we could potentially buy low and sell high. Or buy low and break even at least.

It feels a little unrealistic though. You just never see that kind of trade.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Trading Foote is a no go for me

Depends who it's for. I don't think we should be looking at Foote as an untouchable piece. Especially now that our D core has taken shape with Sergachev's emergence. I don't think I'd trade him for a rental, and maybe that's what you mean, but I think he's movable in the right deal.

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
I know it's one year away but I'd like to know who do you think Tampa will protect for the upcoming expansion draft?

The team will most likely lose a pretty good player.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Stamkos, Kuch, Point, Cirelli

Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh, Cernak

Vasilevskiy
1A9A.gif

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I wonder if McDonough is protected given his age and contract. Could be Cal Foote instead.
I think this is what will happen. McDonagh's contract will start to look quite ugly of us IMO at the end of next season. I could see JBB giving a mid rounds draft pick sweetener to Seattle in order for them to take McDonagh

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think this is what will happen. McDonagh's contract will start to look quite ugly of us IMO at the end of next season. I could see JBB giving a mid rounds draft pick sweetener to Seattle in order for them to take McDonagh
I don't think that would be necessary, they'd probably take him anyway if we just leave him unprotected. McDonagh would be hands down the best defenseman they could have. Anyway, I don't see it happening unless he completely shits the bed next season.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Depends who it's for. I don't think we should be looking at Foote as an untouchable piece. Especially now that our D core has taken shape with Sergachev's emergence. I don't think I'd trade him for a rental, and maybe that's what you mean, but I think he's movable in the right deal.
I mean obv I agree anyone can be had.

It seems like the organization really likes him. The fact we drafted his brother Nolan, I can guarantee they will be life long Bolts

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think that would be necessary, they'd probably take him anyway if we just leave him unprotected. McDonagh would be hands down the best defenseman they could have. Anyway, I don't see it happening unless he completely ****s the bed next season.

Exactly, why the hell would you let them take McDonagh for free? That's just beyond stupid, you'd move McDonagh for assets before you give a team top-2 defenseman for nothing. Not that he should be moved, by the time he slows down Gourde, Johnson and Palat will be gone or have their NTC's gone and those are all players with less impact than McD.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean I’d put my money on down

I think it's more likely we thought Nolan was the best prospect available and we wanted a big forward. The fact that Cal has yet to have a big camp is concerning. Doesn't mean he's gonna bust or anything, but this isn't a blue chip prospect. They're both good prospects (Nolan might even be the better of the two) but Cal's value has probably dropped since he was drafted, whereas Nolan's has risen.

I mean, at one time Slater Koekkoek was supposed to be a big part of our future. Things change as time goes on.

I wouldn't trade Foote for a rental. Yet. But if there was some long-term player we could afford, I think we'd deal him in a heartbeat. With Sergachev's emergence, our D looks solid for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Zwui21

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I would try and trade McDonagh this summer. Or, at least ask if he would waive. He waived for the trade to the Lightning. I would rather try and and get something for him since we gave up a lot. He might reason that he could more control where he goes by waiving to certain teams this summer, rather than being left unprotected the next summer for Seattle. His contract scares me long term

Reactions: NatoGhost

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
We're actually winning even without Mac. :huh:

Of the two Foote brothers, I think it will indeed be Nolan who makes a bigger impact with the Lightning. At least perhaps sooner than Cal. Like DFC said, since Sergy's huge steps forward, Cal becomes less immediate a need and his last couple of camps weren't that outstanding. Of course, those of you who follow Syracuse closer will see more about how Cal is developing.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm starting to wonder if it would not be the worst idea in the world to give Nolan a serious look next year seeing as we are already running the first year of his ELC. I really thought our Crunch players would be further along and better off than this. When Mitchell Stephens of all players jumps the big names in the foward pipeline (looking at your Katchouk, Raddysh, Volkov) and our pet project who shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL right now because he needs to learn how to use his size in ABB is outscoring them all by a dozen points it is damning as it gets. I'm proud of how CV has come along but if he is the absolute apex of our Syracuse production then we're gonna have to find a way to do better because by this time next year someone like Gourde or Killorn is probably gone unless JBB pulls a rabbit out. And unless Mathieu Joseph goes back to his rookie form we may find periods where we need the extra help.

If the other prospects cannot impress or improve (especially if Joseph struggles) I have to think Nolan Foote is either getting coffee by this time next year or stands a chance to make the team out of camp unless he is physically incapable of playing in the NHL (i.e skating) or is completely overwhelmed like Vokov was.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think it's more likely we thought Nolan was the best prospect available and we wanted a big forward. The fact that Cal has yet to have a big camp is concerning. Doesn't mean he's gonna bust or anything, but this isn't a blue chip prospect. They're both good prospects (Nolan might even be the better of the two) but Cal's value has probably dropped since he was drafted, whereas Nolan's has risen.

I mean, at one time Slater Koekkoek was supposed to be a big part of our future. Things change as time goes on.

I wouldn't trade Foote for a rental. Yet. But if there was some long-term player we could afford, I think we'd deal him in a heartbeat. With Sergachev's emergence, our D looks solid for the foreseeable future.

What does having a big camp really matter? Volkov has had two big camps and hasn't really been impressive, Connolly used to always have big camps but couldn't deliver, Erne was another camp standout. Cal is a bit of a slow starter, the past two years it's taken him 5-10 games to really get his feet but once he does he's been top 2 on the Crunch blue line. Cernak is playing well but I would still much rather have Cal going forward than him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if it would not be the worst idea in the world to give Nolan a serious look next year seeing as we are already running the first year of his ELC. I really thought our Crunch players would be further along and better off than this. When Mitchell Stephens of all players jumps the big names in the foward pipeline (looking at your Katchouk, Raddysh, Volkov) and our pet project who shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL right now because he needs to learn how to use his size in ABB is outscoring them all by a dozen points it is damning as it gets. I'm proud of how CV has come along but if he is the absolute apex of our Syracuse production then we're gonna have to find a way to do better because by this time next year someone like Gourde or Killorn is probably gone unless JBB pulls a rabbit out. And unless Mathieu Joseph goes back to his rookie form we may find periods where we need the extra help.

If the other prospects cannot impress or improve (especially if Joseph struggles) I have to think Nolan Foote is either getting coffee by this time next year or stands a chance to make the team out of camp unless he is physically incapable of playing in the NHL (i.e skating) or is completely overwhelmed like Vokov was.

Why are Katchouk, Raddysh and Volkov big names at forward but not Stephens? Stephens is the highest drafted of that group. He was an AHL all star his rookie year. When healthy he has put up pretty good numbers in Syracuse. He doesn't have the highest offensive ceiling but is a very well rounded player with 3C potential. His potential is that of what we thought Cirelli's potential was as well a good 3C, as Cirelli shown the ceiling is higher than that. Stephens could be more than that too but most likely due to opportunities and deployment tops out as a 3rd liner. Only Raddysh of those other three has a higher offensive potential as a scoring line winger but his whole game isn't as good as Stephens. Foote needs to be in Syracuse next year unless he's getting top 6 minutes which I can't see. Cooper doesn't give kids top 6 minutes as rookies, he makes them earn it which is fine but Foote should be playing top everything in Syracuse scoring a ton and not in the bottom 6 getting 10 minutes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why are Katchouk, Raddysh and Volkov big names at forward but not Stephens? Stephens is the highest drafted of that group. He was an AHL all star his rookie year. When healthy he has put up pretty good numbers in Syracuse. He doesn't have the highest offensive ceiling but is a very well rounded player with 3C potential. His potential is that of what we thought Cirelli's potential was as well a good 3C, as Cirelli shown the ceiling is higher than that. Stephens could be more than that too but most likely due to opportunities and deployment tops out as a 3rd liner. Only Raddysh of those other three has a higher offensive potential as a scoring line winger but his whole game isn't as good as Stephens. Foote needs to be in Syracuse next year unless he's getting top 6 minutes which I can't see. Cooper doesn't give kids top 6 minutes as rookies, he makes them earn it which is fine but Foote should be playing top everything in Syracuse scoring a ton and not in the bottom 6 getting 10 minutes.

That's why. Stephens was chosen for the same reason as Cirelli -200 foot all-around forwards. If they didn't score a lot in the NHL it was not the end of the world. We knew what we were getting. The difference is Cirelli surprised us with A LOT more offense. Katchouk has been a jack of all trades his whole career even down to killing penalties in juniors and being really good at it. But the idea was maybe he could do that at the NHL level like Killorn. But he's not even close. Raddysh (who has the higher offensive ceiling between hin and Stephens) is struggling too much and we were hoping for a top 6 winger out of him. Volkov (the preseason warrior) looks lost every time he hits the ice. Stephens does a little bit of everything well and that's why he made it. I can't say I'm surprised nor that he deserved it. It's just that the big problem here is that the scorers got jumped by a well rounded player in an organization that is already filled to the brim with well rounded players. That doesn't look good for them in my opinion.

We both agree on Foote though. He is better served in Syracuse unless he's good NHL minutes. But I don't know what is gonna happen yet. Cooper in these last few years is finally starting to ease up on his approach to rookies. If Cooper (if he is even still here next year) believes Foote is responsible enough defensively I don't think it's insane to see him get a look in the top 6 with a guy like Point. But that's next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->