Atlanta, GA
Updates so far
Allen - TBD (previously Minnesota)
Atlanta - TBD (Previously Boston)
Iowa - Minnesota
Jacksonville - New York Rangers
Maine - Boston
TR - Montreal

Ottawa and Winnipeg previously had ECHL teams, but as of right now do not because of the reshuffle and Brampton folding. I believe the others without teams are CAR, LA, SJ, STL, CBJ, SEA

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Blue Jackets are not interested and the Kraken likely don't need one seeing as they are sharing an AHL team this season. Anyone know if any of the other six are not interested in having an ECHL affiliate?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Blue Jackets are not interested and the Kraken likely don't need one seeing as they are sharing an AHL team this season. Anyone know if any of the other six are not interested in having an ECHL affiliate?
I'm a little surprised LA doesn't have an ECHL affiliate. They always had enough players to send a decent number of skaters and two goalies to the ECHL when they were affiliated with Reading, and I presume that continued with Manchester. I suppose the distance is an issue, but they did stick with Manchester even after moving the AHL team to Ontario. Maybe it is just the the case of finding an ECHL team that is available and willing to work with them?

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Carolina is being weird with their affiliates as of late. I imagine Ottawa and Winnipeg will be looking for new affiliates since they recently lost theirs. The others? No clue. Heard a link between SJ and Allen but I doubt that happens. Seattle probably shares Greenville this season with the few prospects they end up with. Could possibly see Allen with Winnipeg. Has to be closer than Jacksonville.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Carolina is being weird with their affiliates as of late. I imagine Ottawa and Winnipeg will be looking for new affiliates since they recently lost theirs. The others? No clue. Heard a link between SJ and Allen but I doubt that happens. Seattle probably shares Greenville this season with the few prospects they end up with. Could possibly see Allen with Winnipeg. Has to be closer than Jacksonville.
San Jose had assigned a few players to Allen this past season, but they moved those players from Allen to Orlando around the midpoint of the season.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So with Atlanta partnered with Ottawa for the year, that leaves just Allen and Norfolk without affiliations I believe. The unaffiliated NHL teams are:
Winnipeg
San Jose
Seattle
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Carolina
St. Louis
My thoughts are either San Jose or Winnipeg take allen and Seattle takes Savannah next season. Norfolk in my opinion will remain independent.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
So with Atlanta partnered with Ottawa for the year, that leaves just Allen and Norfolk without affiliations I believe. The unaffiliated NHL teams are:
Winnipeg
San Jose
Seattle
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Carolina
St. Louis
My thoughts are either San Jose or Winnipeg take allen and Seattle takes Savannah next season. Norfolk in my opinion will remain independent.
Why would San Jose go to Allen when they pulled all the contracted players they had there this past season and sent them to Orlando? There's some sort of bad blood there.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I hadn’t heard about that. I assumed everything was good between the two. So I’m gonna say Winnipeg will use Allen this year but that’s just based on the fact that they were the only teams left out of the shuffle

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
Nobody wants Norfolk.

Norfolk is radioactive. Norfolk is undesirable.

I am not as plugged into the Ads as once was. I kind of checked out after the AHL team was stripped away and the ECHL came back. With that said I still live in Norfolk and casually follow things. I know things were bad, under Mango Media. Bad would be kind for that circus. Now there is new ownership in place but from my very high-level view, it feels like he is more interested in running things as an extension of his USPHL operation in Chesapeake and place for his players there to "graduate to" rather than running the Ads as a team in an actual NHL feeder league. Until ownership either change philosophy or changes entirely no NHL organization is going to affiliate here. How close am I?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If that's the plan, it's a terrible one. You're probably looking at a 1 in a million player making the jump straight from the USPHL to the Coast. Especially the Premier division.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If that's the plan, it's a terrible one. You're probably looking at a 1 in a million player making the jump straight from the USPHL to the Coast. Especially the Premier division.
Owner's prerogative. If he can draw significantly more interest from kids whose parents have fists full of money just by promoting the "graduate" story, he might just net more than his ECHL team ever would (affiliated or not). It's his investment, his decision; fans can choose to watch the show or seek entertainment elsewhere.

Lake Simcoe Travels

Oct 23, 2017
I am not as plugged into the Ads as once was. I kind of checked out after the AHL team was stripped away and the ECHL came back. With that said I still live in Norfolk and casually follow things. I know things were bad, under Mango Media. Bad would be kind for that circus. Now there is new ownership in place but from my very high-level view, it feels like he is more interested in running things as an extension of his USPHL operation in Chesapeake and place for his players there to "graduate to" rather than running the Ads as a team in an actual NHL feeder league. Until ownership either change philosophy or changes entirely no NHL organization is going to affiliate here. How close am I?
Facts please -- I believe only 1 player from the Chesapeake operation has played for the Admirals. Don't think that makes the Admirals a place where their Whalers Junior Players graduate to...

Last edited:

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
Facts please -- I believe only 1 player from the Chesapeake operation has played for the Admirals. Don't think that makes the Admirals a place where their Whalers Junior Players graduate to...

Like I said it was a feeling I was getting for following things from a distance. Admittedly I'm not plugged in to all things Ads like I was when I had season ticket from 1990-2015 but I really question some of the moves that Cavanaugh has made as the owner (The first was naming Rod Taylor the head coach. I loved Rod as a player but I'm not sold on him as a pro coach.). An affiliation lends an air of professionalism to the organization, something the Ads badly need right now. I don't know what the issue is but it really is something they need to get sorted out sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Lake Simcoe Travels

Lake Simcoe Travels

Oct 23, 2017
Like I said it was a feeling I was getting for following things from a distance. Admittedly I'm not plugged in to all things Ads like I was when I had season ticket from 1990-2015 but I really question some of the moves that Cavanaugh has made as the owner (The first was naming Rod Taylor the head coach. I loved Rod as a player but I'm not sold on him as a pro coach.). An affiliation lends an air of professionalism to the organization, something the Ads badly need right now. I don't know what the issue is but it really is something they need to get sorted out sooner rather than later.
Now we can agree on a few things...agree that the affiliation would be a great thing for them (the Hurricanes come to mind since they are the closest)...is RT a good coach? -- we will see. He obviously is a winner so let's see what happens there. I do think having Chilled Ponds close by helps them contain cost. Would love to see them succeed but folks (not you) calling them toxic, radioactive and undesirable -- believe that would be something hopefully in the past and not with new ownership that only has 1 season under their belts so far.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Would love to see them succeed but folks (no you) calling them toxic, radioactive and undesirable -- believe that would be something hopefully in the past and not with new ownership that only has 1 season under their belts so far.
So end of Year 2, undesirable; Year 3, radioactive; and @JDogindy has gotta wait for Year 4 to wrap up before he can swing the toxic hammer? :boredom:

Reactions: Lake Simcoe Travels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->