OT: 2020-21 College & NBA Hoops Thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't fully put my finger on why it amuses me and amuses everyone else (especially since Lakers-Clippers would have had star wattage) but hot damn it was hilarious. Doc Rivers is a good guy but completely overrated as a head coach, 'Playoff P' was a disaster and they have other dopes like Patrick Beverly who's probably the Brad Marchand of the NBA and Lew Williams with his leaving the bubble for magic wings.

The NBA wants Lakers-Celtics so bad, I half hope they get Heat-Nuggets. But honestly it'll probably be Lakers-Heat, which will have its own little mini drama with LeBron going up against Pat Riley when there was some friction on the way out.

I think a part of it was because a lot of talking heads in the preseason said they were destined to win, they were the best LA team.

They also did a lot of media trash talking with billboards and the like. Similar to I think how the Brooklyn Nets took out an ad outside MSG when they first moved?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least when Prokorov (the Net owner who did try to 'take over the town') or Rex Ryan does it, you kinda like when a guy in charge is willing to put his neck out there, although like with Rex it fell flat when the Nets came up well short of their lofty predictions. The Net players from what I remember weren't real chesty though.

Camille the Eel

Tom Heinsohn - Celtics great, as player and coach, and great Celtics broadcaster died today.

I think he was the greatest basketball broadcaster I ever watched. He for Basketball and John Madden for football were two of a kind - two big if not fat white guys whose personality and styles were unique. Doc Emrick too. The styles grew out of the personality as organically as it did for Howard Cosell.

Bill Russell and others who played with him are saying he wouldn’t ever quite get in shape as a player. That if he had he’d have averaged 20 rebounds a game. I on the other hand remember a hook shot - though he was really before my time. Now the hook shot is really a lost art.

Rest In Peace Tommy.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
When the Nets left New Jersey I vowed never to support them again and instead go with my second favorite team, The Chicago Bulls.

I am starting to view this as a massive mistake.

Edit: Wait it cost them 4 first round picks?!

LMAO NVM

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
When the Nets left New Jersey I vowed never to support them again and instead go with my second favorite team, The Chicago Bulls.

I am starting to view this as a massive mistake.

Edit: Wait it cost them 4 first round picks?!

LMAO NVM
4 firsts for 2-3 championships. It's a no-brainer. Especially when you can rule the next generation of the largest basketball market in the world.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
?

The Nets will now be favorites to win the title for the next 3 years so long as KD's health holds up.

I know I'll be at the parade down Flatbush.

They'd better win a title since they completely destroyed themselves for the next seven years after 2022. It's one thing to give up Allen and Levert and another to give up control of your first round picks through 2030, but to give up ALL THREE in the same deal, for a fat, moody player that's only under control the next year and a half when you don't even know what's happening with Kyrie this year is the height of irresponsibility and desperation.

And they're not the favorite over the Lakers this year assuming they even get to the Finals and they only have next year before all of the big three become FA. Right now it's really only a big two with Kyrie in lalaland, and next to zero depth.

Durant, Harden and Kyrie don't even fit together. It's one thing when you're pairing LeBron with Davis since they play in different zones of the floor but when you have two ball-dominant perimeter guys that aren't your best all-around player and a rookie coach who's already getting run over by the latter that's a recipe for some Any Given Sunday-type infighting.

They also have no defense, they traded one of their best defensive guys in Allen to boot. They pretty much gave him away to placate the corpse of Deandre Jordan. Houston's tried to win titles with offensive talent and no defense or size, that didn't work out.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They'd better win a title since they completely destroyed themselves for the next seven years after 2022. It's one thing to give up Allen and Levert and another to give up control of your first round picks through 2030, but to give up ALL THREE in the same deal, for a fat, moody player that's only under control the next year and a half when you don't even know what's happening with Kyrie this year is the height of irresponsibility and desperation.

And they're not the favorite over the Lakers this year assuming they even get to the Finals and they only have next year before all of the big three become FA. Right now it's really only a big two with Kyrie in lalaland, and next to zero depth.

Durant, Harden and Kyrie don't even fit together. It's one thing when you're pairing LeBron with Davis since they play in different zones of the floor but when you have two ball-dominant perimeter guys that aren't your best all-around player and a rookie coach who's already getting run over by the latter that's a recipe for some Any Given Sunday-type infighting.

They also have no defense, they traded one of their best defensive guys in Allen to boot. They pretty much gave him away to placate the corpse of Deandre Jordan. Houston's tried to win titles with offensive talent and no defense or size, that didn't work out.

While I don't disagree with you, in the NBA, with enough name recognition, you get the calls from the refs that have a big impact on the outcome. If the shots fall for the Nets they have a puncher's chance.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
2 MVP's who don't appear to have lost a step (yet), a guy who's already pointed a championship team, and a former MVP as a coach who obviously has an exceptional head for the game.

I swear some of you are just on some sour grapes because they left Jersey shit.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not a Nets fan and could care less if they won

I would be surprised if they won. Kyrie and Harden are both guys who need the ball in their hands. I'm not sure they are going to be able to co-exist.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL I'm a casual Nets fan at best, no more or less since they moved from NJ to Brooklyn but I'd sure as shooting rather see them win than the Knicks, especially since they've never won.

These super blockbuster trades with nine thousand picks just never seem to work out for the team trading all the futures, and the chances are REAL high the Nets are giving up at least a couple of top three picks down the road and a few more lottery picks besides, we've seen that script before. Which would even be fine if they weren't also giving up a couple of good young players now, this was just a ridiculous overpay even by NBA standards because they got desperate once Kyrie started going AWOL, plus Philly got in the mix which didn't help the Nets' bargaining position. It reminds me of the Mets' Robinson Cano trade, it was just so obvious even from the outset it was going to be ridiculous and it has been.

You can say the overpay is worth it if they win, obviously. I just don't think this is the mix to win with, on or off the court and the clock is ticking with one of the two seasons in their window currently a COVID-infested mess.

Harden's a moody clown who's never been a part of a championship team and blew up the Rockets with his whining about Paul and Westbrook then peacing out himself after they were both gone and voila, the team stunk. Kyrie hasn't won a darn thing without LeBron kicking his butt into gear and Boston couldn't wait to kick him out the door with good reason. Durant's great but it would be nice if he got in his buddy's grill a little MJ/LeBron style and got Mr. Irving back to work.

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I’m sure no one is regretting that Harden trade now. I have a feeling Durant will be out for longer than the Nets would like to admit so it’s even more important for the Beard to be here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whether the Nets have reason to regret the deal entirely depends on them winning a title, not a February regular season game when the Lakers were also missing one of their stars. It’d be nice if all three of them started playing more games at the same time so they can figure out how things will work.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Plan the parade?

Edit: he's only averaging 12.3 ppg? What happened to this guy? Still a good veteran roll player I suppose.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah he’s diminished after all of his injuries. Nice addition for the bench and the best part is they didn’t have to use one of their exceptions on him, but he doesn’t solve their most pressing need (a big man defensive stopper). They’re still trying to win a title with the D’Antoni all offense, no defense system on steroids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->