OT: 2020-21 College & NBA Hoops Thread

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well the NBA has actually managed to have some scrimmages in their bubble. NO played BKN tonight. NO beat up on the Nets. It was weird and had a different atmosphere than a summer league game even though the NBA regulars played some minutes. It gives me hope the NHL will actually be able to pull off its games.

The MLS and NWSL have been playing soccer games for awhile now. UFC, WWE, AEW and a bunch of racing organizations have all been running events as well. I really don't think the NHL will have issues playing games.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You jest but really people ARE treating baseball Opening Day today as the 'return of sports'. AFAIK it is the first team sport to return without a bubble in the US. Individual sports like racing, golf and MMA have come back and soccer's trying their own bubble (it's not going all that well since a few teams had to bow out already), but baseball's definitely another frontier being a team sport with travel.

Basketball's doing a bubble too but their real games don't resume for another week or so. It's almost comical what's happened to the poor Nets who lost half their team due to COVID or just other various injuries.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NBA restart begins in earnest tonight. In the warmup games the Pels have been swamping the opponents without Zion Williamson playing and with spotty three point shooting. You’d expect the real games will ramp up the intensity but heading into the real games, the Pels look like the best of the borderline playoff teams. Winner of the play in games gets the right to be pummeled by the Lakers.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
76ers GM says changes will be made but wont move Embiid or Simmonds

Soo basically nothing of importance will change. They HAVE to move Embiid - Ben is just the superior player since Joel likes to take a lot of games off

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Watching drunk Shaq go at it with Sir Charles is depressing.

I never watch espn as this popped up in my feed, but that dude needs help.

You can't write it off as cte when you're a basketball player. Sorry.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
After LeBron's Tweet I'd be surprised if anyone plays tonight, maybe not anytime soon even.

unless this ends up being a one game solidarity strike where the games are quickly rescheduled, this is going to end up being an all out labor war. If it ends up blowing up the playoffs that has billions of dollars or ramification. The NBA CBA (like most other Cba’s) have a no strike/no lockout procession during the contract. This is in essence a wild cat strike and my guess Silver will be pushed by the hardline owners in the league into filing a grievance. That means the PA could face economic penalties and given they will need a protocol agreement for next season you are looking at a full on mess.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The last minute of the HOU OKC game from last night was like watching triple OT in a playoff hockey game or pre-rule change PIT Steelers secondary. Guys were not just fouled with no call but were body blocked and almost tackled. I’m sure after the previous game ended on free throws with no time left they were a bit gun shy but seeing this go down with the usual touch fouls called earlier in the game was pathetic and shows that while the worst non-call in sports history was still in the NFL, on a game to game basis the reffing in the NBA is so subjective as to be borderline corrupt.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The last minute of the HOU OKC game from last night was like watching triple OT in a playoff hickey game or pre-rule change PIT Steelers secondary. Guys were not just fouled with no call but were body blocked and almost tackled. I’m sure after the previous game ended on free throws with no time left they were a bit gun shy but seeing this go down with the usual touch fouls called earlier in the game was pathetic and shows that while the worst non-call in sports history was still in the NFL, on a game to game basis the reffing in the NBA is so subjective as to be borderline corrupt.

From the archives: How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games

(a bit of a long read)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That Clippers choke job was something else

I can't fully put my finger on why it amuses me and amuses everyone else (especially since Lakers-Clippers would have had star wattage) but hot damn it was hilarious. Doc Rivers is a good guy but completely overrated as a head coach, 'Playoff P' was a disaster and they have other dopes like Patrick Beverly who's probably the Brad Marchand of the NBA and Lew Williams with his leaving the bubble for magic wings.

The NBA wants Lakers-Celtics so bad, I half hope they get Heat-Nuggets. But honestly it'll probably be Lakers-Heat, which will have its own little mini drama with LeBron going up against Pat Riley when there was some friction on the way out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad