OT: 2020-21 College & NBA Hoops Thread

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Nets have Kyrie and KD.

Seton Hall (with all due respect to Villanova) probably has their best chance to win the conference outside of the 2016 upset in a quarter century.

Rutgers is... I mean... Rutgers might have a respectable season but... Well, ok, Rutgers is the football school and they should stay in their lane. :naughty:

The Knicks are the Knicks.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Interesting year for Nova...they will be super young as they don't have a single senior on the team

They have a top 3 freshman class coming in though so hopefully those guys are ready to play

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Nets have Kyrie and KD.

Seton Hall (with all due respect to Villanova) probably has their best chance to win the conference outside of the 2016 upset in a quarter century.

Rutgers is... I mean... Rutgers might have a respectable season but... Well, ok, Rutgers is the football school and they should stay in their lane.

The Knicks are the Knicks.

Discuss.

Eh Rutgers will be better in basketball than in football the next several years, especially since Big Ten football is a monster while basketball isn’t what it used to be. Plus Pikell just seems more competent (and proven) than Chris Ash.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Interesting year for Nova...they will be super young as they don't have a single senior on the team

They have a top 3 freshman class coming in though so hopefully those guys are ready to play

The Hall is banking on the ideal two seniors (Powell and McKnight) you want lead the season with breakouts from Mamukelashvili and Cale, big steps up for Rhoden and Nelson, as well as Ike contributing in his first year of eligibility for the Pirates. Really excited to see what Tyrese Samuel can do in his freshman year, also.

I firmly believe in my heart that this has the potential to be a HUGE year in the history of the program, and what a way to kick it off with the Rock opener being against the Spartans following the on-campus games against Wagner and Stony Brook...

I really, REALLY hope I'm right. This could be a turning point for the program to become a place where kids want to play.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Eh Rutgers will be better in basketball than in football the next several years, especially since Big Ten football is a monster while basketball isn’t what it used to be. Plus Pikell just seems more competent (and proven) than Chris Ash.

As long as you have Tom Izzo's Michigan State as a barometer, the Big Ten is not a bad conference to play your basketball. In fact, quite the opposite.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Nets might be interested in signing Melo.

giphy.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As long as you have Tom Izzo's Michigan State as a barometer, the Big Ten is not a bad conference to play your basketball. In fact, quite the opposite.

But Michigan State is really the only colossus team in the Big 10 basketball, Michigan and Wisconsin are usually good, Purdue was good last year but it isn’t exactly the same colossus as the football league where you have three teams that could be top ten any year (Ohio St, Michigan, Penn State) just in Rutgers’ division along with Michigan State who’s pretty solid in football too.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Still feel for Marquette fans. Losing the Hausers will be a huge blow to a team which was projected top 5.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
B1G basketball is just so solid top to bottom. May not have the glossy teams filled with one and done players at the top, but there are very few easy games on the schedule.

That said, Rutgers is looking pretty good. Had a promising year last season and they return practically everyone, while also bringing in new talent, they are looking deep this year. And as noted, they have a coach who seems to know what he is doing.

I think they make some noise this year, pushing for a dance invite. In fact I'd be disappointed if they don't.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Ticket demand for Seton Hall on the first day of general sales has led the program to commit to opening up the upper deck for Michigan State, Maryland, St. Johns, and Villanova.

This will be the first time in the program's Prudential Center history that they will open the upper deck for more than one game.

All aboard the hype train.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Ticket demand for Seton Hall on the first day of general sales has led the program to commit to opening up the upper deck for Michigan State, Maryland, St. Johns, and Villanova.

This will be the first time in the program's Prudential Center history that they will open the upper deck for more than one game.

All aboard the hype train.
Are they supposed to be really good? I can count a single year when they were hyped up to be great from the start and that ended in a first-round exit. Then there was that tournament win a few years back, but they were kind of a surprise team.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Are they supposed to be really good? I can count a single year when they were hyped up to be great from the start and that ended in a first-round exit. Then there was that tournament win a few years back, but they were kind of a surprise team.

Yes. If all the pieces fall into place, this should be a successful campaign. Powell and Q leading the way with Cale and Mamu entering their junior year, the leap year for Rhoden and Nelson, Obiagu's first year of eligibility, etc.

Also of note is the fact that the networks are catching on. The Pirates will be getting unprecedented network television time this season with six games over the air nation-wide, which can only do good things for the brand and recruiting.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Seton Hall ranked #12.

Villanova ranked #10.

Michigan State ranked #1 and will be visiting Prudential Center for the Hall's biggest regular season non-conference bout in perhaps a quarter-century.

Go Pirates!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nova definitley overranked because of being a "name brand", especially since Bryan Antoine is still going to be out a month or two

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nova should be good again but they don't have many players that can create their own shot, especially without Antoine.

next year, if everyone stays and develops, they could be a force.

I have a suspicion that one of Antoine or Robinson-Earl might be leaving early though

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah he's starting to look like the next Greg Oden or Yao Ming, unfortunately.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Raptors looked good last night but they were playing the Pelicans and barely beat them. L.A., I don't know, it's really too bad they didn't get Leonard. The team just feels like an uninspired collection of guys surrounding two generational talents.

Maybe this is the year for the 76ers?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Raptors looked good last night but they were playing the Pelicans and barely beat them. L.A., I don't know, it's really too bad they didn't get Leonard. The team just feels like an uninspired collection of guys surrounding two generational talents.

Maybe this is the year for the 76ers?

The Pels are probably better than you recall. They have that young team that tries hard and shares the ball thing going for them. They also go 12 deep and that's without Zion Williamson. Frankly, if Jrue Holliday doesn't give away a bunch of possessions on bonehead plays that were unlike him, the Pels probably win the game. The Pels won't make the playoffs in my view, but they won't be the train wreck they were last year if they can stay healthy.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The Pels are probably better than you recall. They have that young team that tries hard and shares the ball thing going for them. They also go 12 deep and that's without Zion Williamson. Frankly, if Jrue Holliday doesn't give away a bunch of possessions on bonehead plays that were unlike him, the Pels probably win the game. The Pels won't make the playoffs in my view, but they won't be the train wreck they were last year if they can stay healthy.

Haha, I was wondering if that was Jrue Holiday, the announcers just kept calling him "Holliday". I got to watch Jrue Holliday and then Lou Williams in back to back games. A trip for an old Sixers fan.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Haha, I was wondering if that was Jrue Holiday, the announcers just kept calling him "Holliday". I got to watch Jrue Holliday and then Lou Williams in back to back games. A trip for an old Sixers fan.

The Pels are Holliday and JJ Reddick and a bunch of young players. Reddick did a great job meshing but Holliday tried to go one on three too many times and gave away possessions pointlessly. I think he was trying to establish himself as the go to guy but the way the team is constructed that is not going to work.

Reactions: Blackjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad